Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020: 99 / 93 MPGe City / Hwy, 96 MPGe combined, 35 kWh / 100 mi, 328 miles total range (minor tweaks and Tesla sandbagging until planned updates ready?)
2020: 108 / 101 MPGe City / Hwy, 105 MPGe combined, 32 kWh / 100 mi, 351 miles total range (3/2020 mfg window sticker @Reason - more enhancements)
2021: 109 / 101 MPGe City / Hwy, 105 MPGe combined, 32 kWh / 100 mi, 371 miles total range (9/2020 mfg window sticker
Notice that the jump in efficiency from the first to the second row is less than the jump in range. This is where I would place the Tesla sandbagging marker.

Assuming the 32 kWh per 100 mi efficiency number is correct (same as my 2020 with 351 mile EPA range) then either:
1. Usable battery pack energy increased 6% (improved battery chemistry, drivetrain efficiency, or more cells), or
2. Wall to battery efficiency got worse by the same 6% amount that the battery to wheel efficiency improved so that a fully charged battery can go 371 miles.

My guess is that the battery chemistry improved at some point, hopefully -H so my 2020 X LR+ gets the higher range numbers.

In reality I rarely drive 55 mph so this increase is not a big deal in real life.

Or perhaps Tesla increased the "usable" battery in the LR+ by a few KW? I have heard that the actual batteries are 102 kwh but usable is around 96-98. So perhaps now they are able to draw power from 100kwh nominally.

Maybe, someone needs to go the long drive test without stops as close as possible 100% to 0% or 10% and report the kWh used.

That would not tell anything unless we have reference figures for all packs somewhere at standard temperature and discharge load.

My G reports 96,7 - 97,7kWh usable. Odds are this is not the new panasonic yet and that is the change from G -> H.

Oh man. I placed my order on Oct 1st, to avoid EOQ rush production cars. So far, I've been given 2 VINs already, all 2020 builds. Keep pushing for a new factory build, but I keep getting inventory cars. At this point, will not take delivery of anything other than a 2021 with rev H pack.

-ThinkMac-

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Oh man. I placed my order on Oct 1st, to avoid EOQ rush production cars. So far, I've been given 2 VINs already, all 2020 builds. Keep pushing for a new factory build, but I keep getting inventory cars. At this point, will not take delivery of anything other than a 2021 with rev H pack.

-ThinkMac-

how do you turn down the vin that was assigned to you. I’m assuming you didn’t cancel the order.

how do you turn down the vin that was assigned to you. I’m assuming you didn’t cancel the order.
Just ask your SA to unmatch you from the VIN. When this is done, they put your order on hold. Wait about a week or two and then follow up with the SA to confirm that your order is NOT on hold. Keep in mind that if there are still inventory cars that match your order, you could still be rematched. Ask me how I know.

That would not tell anything unless we have reference figures for all packs somewhere at standard temperature and discharge load.

My G reports 96,7 - 97,7kWh usable. Odds are this is not the new panasonic yet and that is the change from G -> H.
Yes and you just provided the reference thank you! I have a Sep 2020 build with -H battery, I will try to do the usable kWh test so we can compare. Let’s see if Tesla actually updates the range on the website. Until then it’s just speculation.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes and you just provided the reference thank you! I have a Sep 2020 build with -H battery, I will try to do the usable kWh test so we can compare. Let’s see if Tesla actually updates the range on the website. Until then it’s just speculation.

Do the math instead of driving. Open the consumption screen and calculate: (avg consumption * range remaining) / SOC %

So for example 72% charge would be 0.72 divider. Result is watt hours of energy the bms currently thinks you have (or makes you believe you have..).

Do the math instead of driving. Open the consumption screen and calculate: (avg consumption * range remaining) / SOC %

So for example 72% charge would be 0.72 divider. Result is watt hours of energy the bms currently thinks you have (or makes you believe you have..).
does not work like that for some time.
Nowadays when it shows 0% SoC remaining there's still ~5kWh usable left on 100-packs.

• Informative
Reactions: transpondster
It seems reasonable that the extra 20 miles is a result of the latest efficiency package 2020H2. I wonder what clues we have about the set of changes that make up this package? We know the battery pack version changed so something changed there, but there must be more changes also. Do we know the version numbers on the motors?

Reactions: 5JMJ
does not work like that for some time.
Nowadays when it shows 0% SoC remaining there's still ~5kWh usable left on 100-packs.

Interesting. This could explain our finding that each 1% is actually smaller in terms of energy as the car discharges, so is this the way they create that buffer? It's finally safe to drive to 0%? Looks to me that the value when full is quite credible (97,6kWh for my car), as most certainly it cannot have 102,6kWh usable?

Honestly glad when I check my reservation status that I don’t have a vin yet. Hoping I get a 2021 with the range increase, assuming its real.

-ThinkMac-
I have unmatched my delivery as well. Waiting for the 2021 model. No point buying 2020.
You are all not thinking of this correctly.
You're all talking about this as if Tesla saves up changes for the "new model year". That's how other car companies do it--not Tesla. Tesla rolls in changes constantly in realtime when they feel like it and doesn't save them up. And this idea that you can get a "2021" version car in October or November doesn't happen. They switch over the model years on the cars coming off the production line sometime in the last few weeks of December, and the "2020" model year cars are completely identical to the "2021" model year cars that are made the next day.

Reactions: SageBrush
We know the battery pack version changed so something changed there, but there must be more changes also. Do we know the version numbers on the motors?
the battery got beefier better cooled lines so it can now do 250kW charging, which probably neans it can accept more regen.

Now there were new pm motors showing I think, but it's unclear if they would also be necessary or if it would be just a firmware update to the existing ones.

It's finally safe to drive to 0%?
I never tried to drive below 0%, but I noticed that even when you have 2 miles left there's no more drastic power reduction, just a bit. And internal code confirms 5+kwH usable left. I posted a tweet about these findings but of course with twitter down it cannot be found anymore. (I was told this does not apply to older batteries like 85kWh packs)

found these pictures below in cache (note they are using miles not energy remaining but it was same effect on reported SoC)
90539980-8c8d7180-e14e-11ea-94c7-41316549e8c4.png

90540013-97480680-e14e-11ea-8adc-ef24e5b4f311.png

• Informative
Reactions: Battpower

-ThinkMac-

What is your spec? I placed an order for my Model X Long Range+ Oct. 6, 2020. Still no VIN number and hoping for a 2021 model year with new the new H battery.

My spec:
Blue Long Range+ | 20" rims | white+black interior | 6 seater

Unlikely. Though maybe @ColdWeatherEV will pull his frunk apart and take pictures so we can see what is in there...

I think I can rule out a heat pump. I did a test this morning.
1. Slow charged the car at 9 kw for about an hour to warm up the battery
2. Stopped the charging
3. Turned on the cabin heat then watched the display to see how much current was being fed into the car
4. The garage was around 50 degrees F and I set the cabin heat to 80 degrees F
5. Initial draw was 6 kw (resistive heater, same as my 2017 X)
6. As the cabin warmed up, the draw went down to about 3 kw, same as my old X

Just to confirm, I tried to listen in the frunk area for any AC noise, but all I could hear was the HVAC fan. I could easily hear the AC in my old X from the front of the car when it was running. I'm pretty sure this rules out a heat pump in my new X.