Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car would expect you to follow a mirror-signal-manoeuvre routine, so if you switch lanes immediately after indicating, the detection could have false positives. Or sometimes the lane marking might be incorrect and might have closer lines which could appear as a solid line on the camera.
If you don't work for Tesla PR you really should do.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Apropos of nothing but there is some stuff the UK Govt will need to regulate, e.g. banning roundels on vehicles, wheelie bins, etc. At the moment a car reading speed signs could pick them up from the back of lorries, etc. Repainting the entire countries roads is asking a bit much though.

Reactions: randompixel
How do humans cope?
Sometimes (often times) they don't. I think that's what a lot of people forget or don't acknowledge; most drivers have average or below capability to drive a car. Just yesterday, a lady was stuck in the road because she couldn't figure out how to disengage her parking brake, and another fellow tried to go straight in a turning lane.
Sure, we're a long way from a computer being a perfect driver, but we're also a long way from a human being a perfect driver.

I especially like "the road markings might be incorrect" - Tesla needs to force the 220 local councils in the UK to repaint the roads to the Tesla approved standard. Its why FSD will never work properly outside the standard designs and highly regulated US highway system.
There seems to be a view among many that the roads in the USA are pristine and rigidly follow a uniform set of rules and maintenance. Whilst the interstate highway system is generally in good shape and has standard markings and signage, the state and local roadways are far from uniform, well maintained or something to admire. I am currently in rural North Carolina and drive a lot in rural areas when on holiday in the USA. The state of the roads and markings is not something to envy. What they do have that I appreciate is a lack of roads (designated as two-way) that modern sized vehicles are unable to actually pass each other on without one side needing to dive into hedges.

Reactions: RNHurt
Sometimes (often times) they don't. I think that's what a lot of people forget or don't acknowledge; most drivers have average or below capability to drive a car. Just yesterday, a lady was stuck in the road because she couldn't figure out how to disengage her parking brake, and another fellow tried to go straight in a turning lane.
Sure, we're a long way from a computer being a perfect driver, but we're also a long way from a human being a perfect driver.
It's also true to say most drivers have average or above average capability...
That's just how maths works

How do humans cope?
Personally, I have opted for one of Elon's Neuralink implants.

It works well most of the time, although I do veer off unexpectedly on long walks, have to blink according to the accepted blink rate that Elon has set, and every now and again they change the interface so my hands and feet swap roles. Sadly, breathing used to be free, but now I have to pay extra for the upgraded Oxy package.

There seems to be a view among many that the roads in the USA are pristine and rigidly follow a uniform set of rules and maintenance. Whilst the interstate highway system is generally in good shape and has standard markings and signage, the state and local roadways are far from uniform, well maintained or something to admire. I am currently in rural North Carolina and drive a lot in rural areas when on holiday in the USA. The state of the roads and markings is not something to envy. What they do have that I appreciate is a lack of roads (designated as two-way) that modern sized vehicles are unable to actually pass each other on without one side needing to dive into hedges.
Genuinely interested in the view of someone who has seen both in some detail.

Would you say the UK - given its propensity to use the same roads that the Romans built for us - has worse or better roads in terms of layout, maintenance, "clutter"? And are US drivers better or worse than UK?

Would you say the UK - given its propensity to use the same roads that the Romans built for us - has worse or better roads in terms of layout, maintenance, "clutter"? And are US drivers better or worse than UK?
Having driven in Cornwall, The Peak District, The Yorkshire Dales and the Cotswolds, I’d say they make an interesting target for FSD. There are some horrendously narrow tight turns to be had.

1/3 of roads in the US are unpaved 'dirt' roads. It's a big country and population is very crowded at the costs, lots of places don't have ordered road layouts.

Of course it doesn't mean that FSD will really work in all these places, but I will be entirely happy when it will FSD on motorways which seems entirely plausible.

1/3 of roads in the US are unpaved 'dirt' roads. It's a big country and population is very crowded at the costs, lots of places don't have ordered road layouts.

Of course it doesn't mean that FSD will really work in all these places, but I will be entirely happy when it will FSD on motorways which seems entirely plausible.
FSD or not, I would be very wary of taking a Model 3 down a dirt road...

Apropos of nothing but there is some stuff the UK Govt will need to regulate, e.g. banning roundels on vehicles, wheelie bins, etc. At the moment a car reading speed signs could pick them up from the back of lorries, etc. Repainting the entire countries roads is asking a bit much though.

An easy one to ignore. How many speed signs or traffic lights for that matter travel at speed. Surely if you are behind a speed sign on a vehicle (or set of traffic lights being transported) and you are doing 50mph, its pretty obvious that its not a static speed sign and can be ignored.

Likewise, wheelie bins, but not sure what effect they have on vehicle behaviour.

I can see it being slightly less straight forward if you pull up behind a vehicle with a speed sign stuck on the back, or transporting a set of traffic lights so they will be static, but tracking the objects and/or position of objects close to a vehicle is probably a clue that these are not valid objects. Unless Tesla cannot tell the difference between a speed sign/traffic light positioned at the back of a vehicle in the middle of a carriage way from those to the side or above.

Hopefully the problem will largely go away when we get single stack and speed signs in adjacent roads can hopefully be seen in the context of position and not just as some discreet visual item with no spatial context.