Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 LR Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit an object on the road which broke through the front skid plate and ripped away the battery coolant hose from the battery case.

Towed it in to service center after getting low coolant message and they are saying entire battery pack has to be replaced.

The estimate that they sent me lists the replacement battery pack as “ASY,HVBAT,75KWH,AWD-RWD,1PH,M3,RMN(1137375-01-W).

Does anyone know why the part number is listed as a 75kwh pack? My impression was that my car had the newer 82kwh pack in it. When I discussed it with the service advisor they just keep saying that my car had a 74kwh battery and that is what they are replacing it with.

Everything I can find on the internet points to the 2022 Model 3 LR as having Panasonic 2170L 82kwh.

Not sure what I should do as the service center just keeps going in a loop that my battery was a “74kwh” pack and that is what they are putting back in.

Service advisor tells me there has been no iteration of Model 3 with a 82kwh pack.
Turn in a claim to your Insurance Company under "Comprehensive". Best of luck to you.

Got notified that my repair/battery replacement is complete and ready to pick up. I did confirm with the tech earlier in the week that it was a remanufactured pack that is “apples to apples” as the service advisor says (but still won’t tell me if it’s 82kwh pack or 74…)

Wanted to ask how I could find out what battery they put in my car (since Tesla won’t tell me). They charged it to 50% and I can see in the app that it’s at 50%/176 miles. Didn’t know if there’s some way I can do a rough calculation or something to determine if they put an older or newer cell technology pack in my car.

I did ask about warranty and the SA said it would continue off of my original 8yr/120k factory battery warranty.

If I understand your question, you can follow the information in this stickied thread to calculate:

With almost brand new packs though, I remember someone saying it was just a bit inaccurate.

@AlanSubie4Life can you remind me what that stipulation was?

So Tesla Insurance covered the cost of the repair? If you don't mind me asking, did you have to pay the comprehensive deductible or did they make you pay for the repair up front and are reimbursing you?

We have Tesla Insurance on both of our M3s.

So Tesla Insurance covered the cost of the repair? If you don't mind me asking, did you have to pay the comprehensive deductible or did they make you pay for the repair up front and are reimbursing you?

We have Tesla Insurance on both of our M3s.
I haven’t picked up the car yet but Tesla Insurance is covering the cost of the repair. My deductible is $500 so I will have to pay that at some point but they haven’t asked for it yet.

When the service advisor notified me via the app that the repair was completed they said they were just waiting on insurance to pay. I told them that I have Tesla Insurance so hopefully it won’t be long and they just said “Great, I’m going to release the car immediately then and it’s ready for pick-up”.

Didn’t know if there’s some way I can do a rough calculation or something to determine if they put an older or newer cell technology pack in my car.
You need a higher % charge to extrapolate accurately.

That being said (ignore this): You’re around 352mi. This could be either battery.

Before you were at 318-320 at 90%, 354 miles.

I’d charge to 100% ASAP (when you can drive it soon after and bring it down), and get a read. If it is over 354 miles it is fairly unlikely to be the 77.8kWh pack.

Of course, you could also ask Tesla to bring up pack diagnostics in service mode and show it to you. It might help answer some questions, but not sure if it writes out the Full Pack When New value.

This was available with a buggy software update last year.
B613E990-3EA8-4065-A5F2-B93733945B9D.png

Depending on your wheel setup,
Doesn’t make a difference.

@AlanSubie4Life can you remind me what that stipulation was?
The stipulation is that it provides a minimum value. The result can be lower than the actual capacity when the pack is still above the degradation threshold. Not likely going to be an issue here.

You need a higher % charge to extrapolate accurately.

That being said (ignore this): You’re around 352mi. This could be either battery.

Before you were at 318-320 at 90%, 354 miles.

I’d charge to 100% ASAP (when you can drive it soon after and bring it down), and get a read. If it is over 354 miles it is fairly unlikely to be the 77.8kWh pack.

Of course, you could also ask Tesla to bring up pack diagnostics in service mode and show it to you. It might help answer some questions, but not sure if it writes out the Full Pack When New value.

This was available with a buggy software update last year.

Doesn’t make a difference.

The stipulation is that it provides a minimum value. The result can be lower than the actual capacity when the pack is still above the degradation threshold. Not likely going to be an issue here.
Thanks for the suggestions - really appreciate the insight. I am thinking if I should just head to a nearby supercharger and charge to 100% before heading home (about 50 miles) so I can get the read at 100%. Is it that the difference between the 75kwh/82kwh packs is something like 5 miles? My understanding is there’s a buffer we don’t see on the 82kwh pack and at full charge for mileage it would look something like a few miles difference 358 vs 353 or so?

Is it that the difference between the 75kwh/82kwh packs is something like 5 miles? My understanding is there’s a buffer we don’t see on the 82kwh pack and at full charge for mileage it would look something like a few miles difference 358 vs 353 or so?
It’s 77.8 vs. 79kWh. The 77.8kWh pack is denoted as a “77.8kWh” pack

But the 79kWh pack is denoted as an “82.1kWh” pack. In brand new performance they end up in SMT around 81kWh. Brand new LR around 79-80kWh in SMT (limited data).

EPA test got ~82.1kWh out of the LR and about 81kWh out of the Performance (different kWh though, different measurement).

358 miles is 79kWh or more. 353miles is about 77.8kWh (not more). (For 2022)

If your car has 80kWh it would show ~358rmi. If it has 79kWh it will also show 358rmi. If it had 81 kWh it would show 358rmi.

For performance, if it has 80.6kWh, it will show 315rmi. If it had 81kWh it would show 315rmi. If it had 79kWh it would show about 309rmi.

There’s no buffer really in the sense you mean it. There’s a lower buffer of 4.5% below 0rmi (but the buffer is INCLUDED in the above so at 0% you’ll have 4.5% of those energies remaining). There is no upper buffer in the sense people mean. The rated miles just have more energy content, to the extent you exceed the threshold. And they start ticking off right away. In a sense it is a buffer but it is a buffer against displayed capacity loss, not a buffer of energy above 100%.

Last edited:
So glad I got Tesla Insurance for both of ours! Not only were the rates much lower than State Farm or any other insurance company around us, it sounds like if you need to use them for a repair and you take it to a Tesla service center, it's really easy to deal with all involved.

So glad I got Tesla Insurance for both of ours! Not only were the rates much lower than State Farm or any other insurance company around us, it sounds like if you need to use them for a repair and you take it to a Tesla service center, it's really easy to deal with all involved.
Yeah I didn’t really have to deal with Tesla Insurance at all other than filing the initial claim. I would say it was a good experience so far.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
It’s 77.8 vs. 79kWh. The 77.8kWh pack is denoted as a “77.8kWh” pack

But the 79kWh pack is denoted as an “82.1kWh” pack. In brand new performance they end up in SMT around 81kWh. Brand new LR around 79-80kWh in SMT (limited data).

EPA test got ~82.1kWh out of the LR and about 81kWh out of the Performance (different kWh though, different measurement).

358 miles is 79kWh or more. 353miles is about 77.8kWh (not more). (For 2022)

If your car has 80kWh it would show ~358. If it has 79kWh it will also show 358.
Got it, that explains a lot and didn’t realize the batteries were that close with 77.8 vs 79 kWh. I think it’s just confusing for those that don’t know much about anything battery-related to see “75 kWh reman” on a parts list after reading about 2022 LR having newer 82kwh packs. Are there any real world implications of having an older tech pack vs the newer other than what sounds like a ~5 mile difference? Could Tesla potentially unlock more of the buffer in the newer packs?

that explains a lot and didn’t realize the batteries were that close with 77.8 vs 79 kW
You’re misreading what I said a little.

Note, in the EPA tests they get:

79kWh (sometimes a bit more) out of the 77.8kWh pack. (2018-early 2021)

Then the new packs came in either late 2020 for Performance or mid/early-2021 for LR.

81 kWh out of the 82.1kWh pack (P)

82kWh out of the 82.1kWh pack (LR), what I call 79kWh (degradation threshold)

So it’s really like 79kWh (old packs) vs. 82kWh (new packs) (with EPA kWh - you have to scale this down with SMT kWh).

There is always a bit of vehicle-to-vehicle variation so focusing too closely on it is an exercise in frustration, but the packs are quite different.

All the info is provided for everyone on the EPA website by Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: atxnate and tm1v2

79kWh out of the 77.8kWh pack. (2018-early 2021)

Then the new packs came in either late 2020 for Performance or mid/early-2021 for LR.

So it’s really like 79kWh (old packs) vs. 82kWh (new packs) (with EPA kWh - you have to scale this down with SMT kWh).

There is always a bit of vehicle to vehicle variation so focusing too closely on it is an exercise in frustration, but the packs are quite different.

Alan, where did you get those figures ? I am especially interested in how they got 79 kWh from a 77.8 pack.
Do you have the figures for the 75 kWh LG battery ?

79kWh out of the 77.8kWh pack. (2018-early 2021)

There is always a bit of vehicle to vehicle variation so focusing too closely on it is an exercise in frustration, but the packs are quite different.

Thanks Alan I appreciate the correction to my misreading/misunderstanding and your knowledge. I agree on it all being an exercise in frustration - mostly just trying to figure out what I am losing out on if I have the older pack vs a newer one since I am assuming with the 2022 I had the 82 kWh pack when I took delivery. Sounds like the only way I’m going to know what went in is to see if they’ll pull up something on a service menu (unlikely in my experience with them clarifying so far) or charging to 100% and taking a guess at it depending where it lands.

Alan, where did you get those figures ? I am especially interested in how they got 79 kWh from a 77.8 pack.
Do you have the figures for the 75 kWh LG battery ?

Different kWh measurements, would not worry about the discrepancy. No data on the LG.

Lots of data from users using SMT in the appropriate threads (used for ground-truthing all of this).

charging to 100% and taking a guess at it depending where it lands.
Do this, report back. If you end up at 356-358 you are good.

Reactions: Bouba
Currently supercharging and seeing “charge limit: 352 mi”, I’ll update at the end with what it ends up with - picking up the car was pretty easy. I spoke with a SA about my concern and he seemed nice about it. He had another coworker come and look at something on his computer with the details of the battery next to his own LR’s build specs and said that the battery that just went into mine is the same model and some #s as to what his has. I still couldn’t get a clear acknowledgement of the exact kWh of the battery that went into mine (I’m starting to think that Tesla doesn’t acknowledge anything about 82.1 kWh or maybe instructed not to) but they both said no way would they put something older than what was already in mine. Everything seems fine with the car so far - I was under the impression that they had to take out front seats, center console, and carpet to get to the bolts holding the battery on. I can’t really tell that they did any of that. No new rattles or anything so I’ll cross my fingers.

Currently supercharging and seeing “charge limit: 352 mi”, I’ll update at the end with what it ends up with - picking up the car was pretty easy. I spoke with a SA about my concern and he seemed nice about it. He had another coworker come and look at something on his computer with the details of the battery next to his own LR’s build specs and said that the battery that just went into mine is the same model and some #s as to what his has. I still couldn’t get a clear acknowledgement of the exact kWh of the battery that went into mine (I’m starting to think that Tesla doesn’t acknowledge anything about 82.1 kWh or maybe instructed not to) but they both said no way would they put something older than what was already in mine. Everything seems fine with the car so far - I was under the impression that they had to take out front seats, center console, and carpet to get to the bolts holding the battery on. I can’t really tell that they did any of that. No new rattles or anything so I’ll cross my fingers.
If it doesn’t end up at 355 or more, assuming that easy label to grab a picture of no longer exists, then all you can do is SMT. That will definitely tell you!