Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP Motor Failure

Have you experienced a motor failure in your MYP?

• No

Votes: 97 81.5%
  • Yes, one.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • Yes, multiple

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well i just just joined the rear motor failure club! I’m stuck just off the freeway as I type this post with “Pull Over Safely, Vehicle shutting down” Rear Motor temporarily disabled. 2021 MYP w/8900 miles. Tow truck is 3 hours out! Luckily I’m only about 9 miles away from home.

• Informative
Reactions: SuzyQ4
Sounds like my new 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) with 1,000 miles joined the motor failure club. Tesla service agent picked up my car from body shop they sent my car to for panel gap alignments fixes And was heading back to tesla service center where I’d pickup the car. According to a phone call from Tesla, the car exited drive mode, listed a few warnings and would not start again. They want to keep the car for another week and did not mention any error codes.

• Helpful
Reactions: SuzyQ4
Looks like I’m also a new member of the Motor Failure Club. Have a 2022 MYLR; took delivery end of Dec. 2021. I was loving the car for nearly 2,500 miles until it died last week (Feb. 25) right when I tried shifting into reverse to back out of my garage.

I heard a loud thump come from the rear axle area and then received several alerts: Power reduced, Vehicle shutting down, Vehicle may not restart, Service is required… and lastly: Schedule service to replace 12 volt battery.

Roadside had it towed to area SC. They gave me a loaner and said they’d be in touch. I found out several days later that there are 3 items they plan to address: Replacing the rear drive unit/inverter and the 12 volt battery — and installing a pyrotechnic battery disconnect.

They ordered the parts and with likely shipping delays, they estimate the work might get finished in two weeks.

My other half and I aren’t thrilled with having a new car die after only two months. I’m hoping they tackle this major issue. I’m wondering if this a quality issue with the parts, assembly, technical design, bad luck — or all of the above?

Sounds like my new 2022 MYP (built 12/2021) with 1,000 miles joined the motor failure club. Tesla service agent picked up my car from body shop they sent my car to for panel gap alignments fixes And was heading back to tesla service center where I’d pickup the car. According to a phone call from Tesla, the car exited drive mode, listed a few warnings and would not start again. They want to keep the car for another week and did not mention any error codes.
My issue turned out to be a broken front left body controller. This device supplies 12V power to devices on left (front?) side of the car. I pickup the car tomorrow. They also installed a new 12V battery.

How long they took to fix the issue?
At about 30 days, lemon law might apply to your car. Tesla might be willing to swap it for another or buy the car back. It took 2 weeks to figure out the issue and they tried other fixes during the 2 weeks. It took 4 days for part to arrive & a day to fix. They did 1 day of testing and wanted to have my car washed. So 20 days. If your car has been is shop that long, ask for a loaner. I was given a 2018 model S to use. Though, various cities might not have loaners available. Never hurts to ask.

At about 30 days, lemon law might apply to your car. Tesla might be willing to swap it for another or buy the car back. It took 2 weeks to figure out the issue and they tried other fixes during the 2 weeks. It took 4 days for part to arrive & a day to fix. They did 1 day of testing and wanted to have my car washed. So 20 days. If your car has been is shop that long, ask for a loaner. I was given a 2018 model S to use. Though, various cities might not have loaners available. Never hurts to ask.
I spoke to them. They said lemon law is applicable only f some N number of times repiared. I truely dont understand and its frustrating to wait this long. I paid all those money to have the vehicle for 2 days. Does anyone has any suggestions??

I spoke to them. They said lemon law is applicable only f some N number of times repiared. I truely dont understand and its frustrating to wait this long. I paid all those money to have the vehicle for 2 days. Does anyone has any suggestions??
That is not fully accurate. In addition to limits on number of repair attempts, there are also limits on total days out of service (20 business days). Look at your state’s laws directly rather than taking their word for it - NC Lemon Law (assuming you’re in NC based on your signature)

Neighbor just got his '22 MYLR back after almost a month in the SC. During the drive home from *DELIVERY* the car wasn't driving normal. Asked me to hop into the car, and it felt very weird, albeit no error messages. Do not pass go, drove straight to the SC the next day for a new rear motor 🤣

Neighbor just got his '22 MYLR back after almost a month in the SC. During the drive home from *DELIVERY* the car wasn't driving normal. Asked me to hop into the car, and it felt very weird, albeit no error messages. Do not pass go, drove straight to the SC the next day for a new rear motor 🤣
Guy around me has a video on YouTube, brand new MX Plaid died in 9 miles with still no resolution.