Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, other manufacturers removed it also and many have it optional (even in $65k range). Not a big deal even if gone.
The level of acceptance of this is baffling. We have 2 Model Ys. One with one without. My wife, who’s Y is without, is PISSED.
It is a serious problem for actual people with actual expectations for a decent car.

The level of acceptance of this is baffling. We have 2 Model Ys. One with one without. My wife, who’s Y is without, is PISSED.
It is a serious problem for actual people with actual expectations for a decent car.
For every person where this is a deal breaker, there are plenty that are fine with it gone. That's all I'm saying. That's why it's optional even in very expensive cars and were removed when there were shortages.

Both of my vehicles have the USS, but I believe people are more mad about the fact that Tesla has promised a "released soon" fix, and it's been nowhere to be seen. It's probably not a deal breaker, but when you're promised a quick fix and it lags people are going to be upset. I can't blame them at all.

Remember when the V11 software interface came out and we all, with good reason, bitched and moaned about it? They fixed most of the issues and now everyone's happy.

I predict the same will happen with this issue.
But those changes were mainly cosmetic or minor convenience changes that were just hiding things in menus.

This is taking core features out that people paid extra for that are meant to be back “soon” but already been over 4 months. Past the soon mark now. Also worse than FSD as st least that didn’t exist and get taken away..

Last edited:
It looks like Tesla could solve a lot of problems by adding functionality for the front camera only, this solution has some pros:

1. Fewer protests from owners without USS, side and rear cameras are already there, the problem is only in the front, where the frunk is not visible.
2. Car headlights can help illuminate the area in front of the car at night.
3. The front cameras can always be cleaned with wipers

Reactions: enemji
Remember when the V11 software interface came out and we all, with good reason, bitched and moaned about it? They fixed most of the issues and now everyone's happy.
To be fair, it took nearly a year for the software to for-fill the promises made with all the BS 🔥 hype and such. For me, literally a year after 11 was released did 1) the features they took away return, well mostly 2) the bug count settle down- based on forum spelunking - and I finally updated my car

Given that historic record, I wouldn't be holding my breath for that software fix - I say fix cause the feature (parking sensors) worked well and regardless of why, are broken AWOL

I added the 6K Enhanced Autopilot features for MYLR which I took delivery on Dec. 18, 2022. I don’t see the summon on my app. How do I use this features

Your vehicle is not equipped with USS (ultrasonic sensors) as Tesla decided to remove them. Your vehicle will not be able to utilize the following features until Tesla releases their Tesla Vision update:
  • Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <5 mph.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.
You can read more about this here.

I have dual high resolution cameras and a state of the art processor for parking. Two eyes and a brain! ;) Have parked for decades and can't remember the last time I bumped anything.
Everybody on the road has these. So why did you buy a car from a company so invested in autonomous driving? What’s the point of autopilot? Might as well just tape over all your cameras.

Never understood this Luddism from the Tesla community. it’s almost like these are driver aids, to make the experience of driving more convenient, because the last 100 years of how we’ve been driving sucks.

Reactions: Falcon73
For every person where this is a deal breaker, there are plenty that are fine with it gone. That's all I'm saying. That's why it's optional even in very expensive cars and were removed when there were shortages.

The people who are fine with it are generally:
1. Those who still have working USS in their car and don't care as long as they aren't affected
2. Those who seem to think having these alerting systems somehow makes you a less attentive driver.

I do hope they disable the USS functionality like they did with radar so that those in group #1 begin to see this as their problem. Group #2 is too stupid to reason with - so no point bothering with them.

The people who are fine with it are generally:
1. Those who still have working USS in their car and don't care as long as they aren't affected
2. Those who seem to think having these alerting systems somehow makes you a less attentive driver.

I do hope they disable the USS functionality like they did with radar so that those in group #1 begin to see this as their problem. Group #2 is too stupid to reason with - so no point bothering with them.
In my post, I'm talking about solely about people who bought a car without the USS, this excludes #1 (their opinion doesn't matter at all in this regard). Plenty of people either previously owned cars without USS or they wouldn't have paid extra for USS if it was an option. For these people getting the car on time is worth more than USS.

Again you can compare to other brands that either had it optional in the first place or removed it due to the shortage. They were able to find buyers for their cars regardless of if it had USS (in their case they didn't even have hope of a replacement solution coming).

Last edited:
Unsure if this has been discussed, but every one is saying "Front" sensors will not work because of the camera blindspot. Why is every one assuming that there will be front "Detection" ? .

I have had quite a few BMWs with only rear sensors, Lotus's without anything and only my Range Rover came with front and rear sensors.

Apart from parallel parking, is there much need for fronts ?

Unsure if this has been discussed, but every one is saying "Front" sensors will not work because of the camera blindspot. Why is every one assuming that there will be front "Detection" ? .

I have had quite a few BMWs with only rear sensors, Lotus's without anything and only my Range Rover came with front and rear sensors.

I guess the front detection is also needed for all the summon features, smart and dumb.
So without the front detection, 3 of the 4 disabled features will be unachievable.

But I agree with you that the rear detection will be quite easier than the front one, thus we can maybe speculate that in the first stage, we will get detection only on the back side of the car. But personally I have less concerns on the rear since I can park the car without issues using only the camera, my issue comes with thigh spots and roads here in Europe (especially on the older side of towns or old villages) in which is quite easy to scratch the front of the car.

At home I have no issues, but who knows where I'm going to bring my car in the future😅

1) Tesla promised feature parity with Tesla Vision, so this implies rear and front. (Since USS vehicles have front obstacle detection).
2) There is MUCH need for fronts, at least here in Belgium. Every time you pull into a garage or parking spot nose first, you want to see how close you are to the object you are moving towards.

This is at my home garage (and i can't reverse in since then my charging port is on the wrong side), every grocery store, every underground parking garage. (Since in those last two instances you want your trunk to be where your shopping cart is, and that is not where there is another car or a wall.)

So yeah, the parking layout over here is designed for nose first parking. Reverse parking is only good if you don't have to open the trunk.

And with vehicles these days it's near impossible to visually see how far the nose of the car comes. With older cars (smaller cars with less rounded bodywork) seeing how far your front bumper extruded was way easier.