Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a 2023 Model Y last week. No USS, no proximity visualization or alerts, and no park assist or park assist chimes options in the settings where they are supposed to be.

I was not made aware of this, and did not have to sign disclosures. The USS' were pulled after I ordered mine last summer, so it is very poor customer service best case.

If this feature has been restored, please let me know. I'm afraid they want me to pay an extra $15k to get this basic feature.

I'm one lucky owner of a Model Y RWD 2023, without USS, too.

Proximity alerts while driving are there ... there's no sound, but on the screen, if you turn the turn signal you will see a red lane line and a red vehicle (that is putting you at risk if you turn/change lane).
It does work already, but you've to actively turn the indicator on before turning or changing lane.

I agree with the very poor customer support and service, but that's "Tesla style".
You see it when you take the new car: no instructions, just a "hello" and "goodbye" after you get the key-card.

Same here. The best guideline is to turn on your headlights (and if you have to, the high beams) and check the lighting. The closer you are to an object, the smaller the "spot of light" becomes. When parking behind cars you can see the reflection of your lights very clearly and know when to stop after getting used to it.

Can't agree ... the front is very easy to be understood, because it is totally vertical ... (Model Y in my case).
When you see the top of the "nose", you see where you are.
From first attempt I can park at less than 5 cm without sensors (that would be doing "beeeeeeeeeeep" all the time under 30 cm ...).

Proximity alerts while driving are there ... there's no sound, but on the screen, if you turn the turn signal you will see a red lane line and a red vehicle (that is putting you at risk if you turn/change lane).
It does work already, but you've to actively turn the indicator on before turning or changing lane.
That's a different feature, which was never lost and always relied on cameras.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Can't agree ... the front is very easy to be understood, because it is totally vertical ... (Model Y in my case).
From first attempt I can park at less than 5 cm without sensors (that would be doing "beeeeeeeeeeep" all the time under 30 cm ...).
Yes but this is because you have basic drivings skills such as depth perception/ability to judge distance. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm one lucky owner of a Model Y RWD 2023, without USS, too.

I agree with the very poor customer support and service, but that's "Tesla style".
You see it when you take the new car: no instructions, just a "hello" and "goodbye" after you get the key-card.
There is still sound. I have a '23 M3 with no USS

Yesterday, I was merging and another car behind me was also merging, and we were close enough to collision that the car made a single beep, along with a 'red car' warning on the screen.

As I was backing up my 2009 F150 today, the sun was shining directly into the backup camera so I couldn't see anything, my UT sensors were ramping up the beeps exactly as intended so I knew how far I could back up and I thought about my new '23 Tesla not having this capability and I got sad...

Reactions: Jimboy435
As I was backing up my 2009 F150 today, the sun was shining directly into the backup camera so I couldn't see anything, my UT sensors were ramping up the beeps exactly as intended so I knew how far I could back up and I thought about my new '23 Tesla not having this capability and I got sad...
Also the rear camera becomes near useless in the rain. That's also reason number 3,289 why current hardware will never be "robotaxi" capable.

Good for you but I can't see the top of the "nose" outside of my Model Y. If I wanted to do that I'd have to increase my seat heigth and sit closer to the windshield, which is cramped and uncomfortable.

Good for you but I can't see the top of the "nose" outside of my Model Y. If I wanted to do that I'd have to increase my seat heigth and sit closer to the windshield, which is cramped and uncomfortable.

I understand ... probably it is due to my height, that I can see the end of the "nose" and this would not be possible for all.

Not that I'm justifying that I'm left from Tesla without USS and without the Vision ... that's really bad.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I understand ... probably it is due to my height, that I can see the end of the "nose" and this would not be possible for all.

Not that I'm justifying that I'm left from Tesla without USS and without the Vision ... that's really bad.
Yeah, the point of all the USS/Tesla Vision discussion is not that people should be better drivers (I can hold my own) but that Tesla shouldn't have taken away a handy feature from a premium vehicle. I ordered in september 2022, just before the Tesla Vision announcement. I couldn't postpone delivery in December since my old car needed repairs. So Tesla basically put me in the corner. And that is why I'm scouring these threads hoping for a glimpse of the promised software.

Reactions: MacO512
My wife and I have a 2022 M3LR with USS and we find park assist very useful. We ordered a MYLR with a delivery window starting in two weeks. I am hesitant to accept a VIN without seeing the park assist feature restored and knowing how it performs compared to the USS-based system. I might just cancel the MY order and wait to see what happens with HW4. Rumor has it the HW4 will have cameras located on the front of the car. I know it could be months or even a year before HW4 makes it into the MY. Who knows what happens to prices and tax credits during that time, so delay could be a costly decision.

Yeah, the point of all the USS/Tesla Vision discussion is not that people should be better drivers (I can hold my own) but that Tesla shouldn't have taken away a handy feature from a premium vehicle. I ordered in september 2022, just before the Tesla Vision announcement. I couldn't postpone delivery in December since my old car needed repairs. So Tesla basically put me in the corner. And that is why I'm scouring these threads hoping for a glimpse of the promised software.

Exactly the same here ... ordered in September, because I had a buyer for my car (something to be always taken without questions nowadays ...).
So decided to buy now ... 7k spent for nothing (due to price cut in January...) and left without USS and Vision "coming soon".
Accepted the delivery to avoid being without a car and having to rent (and spend)

So... saved rental costs .... to spend more for nothing .... LOL

Also the rear camera becomes near useless in the rain. That's also reason number 3,289 why current hardware will never be "robotaxi" capable.
near useless? It IS useless most days in the winter.

It makes me miss my VW golf which had the best implementation of a rear camera I have seen. The camera was hidden behind a VW badge that would flip open when the car was put in reverse. Camera lens never got wet or dirty.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
near useless? It IS useless most days in the winter.

It makes me miss my VW golf which had the best implementation of a rear camera I have seen. The camera was hidden behind a VW badge that would flip open when the car was put in reverse. Camera lens never got wet or dirty.
A flip up wouldn't help for the intended purpose, as Tesla uses it while driving (not just for parking). A shroud of some sort will would have helped however (some people added one themselves).

Reactions: unhyphy
Park assist seems to be a hot button for some, but my opinion is that most people are able to park a car without it. I doubt it will make or break the company or impact it in any slightly meaningful way. It's really just not that big of an issue for most. I do hope that Tesla is able to enable the features that people were expecting though.
I can, but I like to get close to the curb without curbing. My VW GTi did it impeccably. My Tesla never understands that I’m trying to parallel park.