Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y rattles in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it too Since day 1 in my car made 12/2021. I have saved a few promising threads where people fixed it themselves. I’ll look for the bookmarks tomorrow.
Some interesting posts about rear rattle noises with solutions:

This video also has section about how to remove rear seats:

My rattle source was the black stoppers on the hatch. It would press against the plastic piece that is connected to the taillight. Give that one a shot. Had to rotate it counter clock wise a couple times and it went away. The rattle was driving me nuts, surprised that plastic piece is even there

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54

Came across this 1 year old video and this sounds exactly what I have when I am on freeway or slightly rough road in city.
Hey I recently got similar noise fixed. Mine was isolator in seat assembly that was missing from the factory. I was pulling all aftermarket out which amounted for 2 medium sized home depot box.

No one could pinpoint where it was coming from, until one day I bumped my head into my headrest in approx 45° angle. I set repair schedule and reproduced sound with my service tech in car and discovered problem to be a some sort of missing isolator in my seat.

After the repair, my seat feels more full and solid, and I'm happy noise is gone,

Hey I recently got similar noise fixed. Mine was isolator in seat assembly that was missing from the factory. I was pulling all aftermarket out which amounted for 2 medium sized home depot box.

No one could pinpoint where it was coming from, until one day I bumped my head into my headrest in approx 45° angle. I set repair schedule and reproduced sound with my service tech in car and discovered problem to be a some sort of missing isolator in my seat.

After the repair, my seat feels more full and solid, and I'm happy noise is gone,
What is an isolator? Do you have the invoice with the description from the service tech?

You are not alone: I have 23 YP with a few different noises from rear of car when driving over rough pavement, bumps. I think they are coming from the rear seat, but cannot pinpoint noises just yet.

The car is pretty quiet otherwise.

Plan to try to locate and address the noises myself once it gets warmer. Theres quite a YouTube vids about locating and fixing rattles in Teslas.
I also have noises from rear seat back. If I cover the rear seat back with a couple of thick blankets, the rattles disappear which confirm the origin. I have dismantled the rear sea back but have been unable to eradicate the noises but I have not given up yet.

I had a similar issue, and the fix was nothing I guessed it would be. After wd40ing everything I could find, after unlatching the back seats and after adjusting every trim in the vehicle, the technician visited and found that behind the hatch trim where the exposed metal showed, a weld spot had come apart. nothing major, just where the top piece near the window is attached to the main frame. We stuffed it with some paper towels, and the noise went away. Good Luck !!

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I am having the exact same rattling noise. When I took mine to Service Center the first time, they said it was related to headrest of the rear seats. They claimed the problem was fixed but in reality it was not. I have scheduled another appointment in another Service Center. :(

Things not helpful:
1. Fasten the seat belts
2. Remove all headrests from rear seats

I found could the noise was reduced when:
1. Both rear seats were reclined.
2. Someone seating on the rear seat.

IMO, mine problem is definitely related to rear seat itself...

My Austin build I picked up 2/1 had something rolling under the carpet. Service Center found multiple loose bolts...
Screenshot_20230221-111557.png

I am having the exact same rattling noise. When I took mine to Service Center the first time, they said it was related to headrest of the rear seats. They claimed the problem was fixed but in reality it was not. I have scheduled another appointment in another Service Center. :(

Things not helpful:
1. Fasten the seat belts

Be sure to let us know if you figure out what it is.

I had a similar issue, and the fix was nothing I guessed it would be. After wd40ing everything I could find, after unlatching the back seats and after adjusting every trim in the vehicle, the technician visited and found that behind the hatch trim where the exposed metal showed, a weld spot had come apart. nothing major, just where the top piece near the window is attached to the main frame. We stuffed it with some paper towels, and the noise went away. Good Luck !!
Wow sounds like you had an amazing service advisor. Can you share a picture where the rattle was?

Came across this 1 year old video and this sounds exactly what I have when I am on freeway or slightly rough road in city.
Hey, hi, that's my video.

The noise is gone when the seat is folded/reclined. But always here when the seat is in the normal position.
Honestly, I do not know what I am the most pissed off: that I paid $7k for a FSD I have been promised since 3 years or that a $60k+ car is making stupid rattle noise.

Ugh. Tesla.

Reactions: Ts91

Things not helpful:
1. Fasten the seat belts

Update from my service appointment:

Issue#1 Problem Rattling noise from rear seats when passing on uneven road.

Verified concern. Retorqued 2nd row seat frame. Replaced middle rear seat cushion. -> Outcome: the noise was mitigated but did not completely go away

Correction: Seat Cushion - Lower - 2nd Row (Remove & Replace)

Issue#2 Noise from the rear seat or trunk when pressing accelerator pedal. More noticeable when starting from ZERO speed or reducing the speed to ZERO. The clicking noise sounds from metal clicking metal from the truck door.

Verified concern. Diagnosed and removed rear sheer plates from rear subframe assembly and insulated area of concern. Retorqued sheer plates and verified proper operation. -> Outcome: issue resolved

Correction: Trim - Lid - Trunk (Remove & Install)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
EDGE CLIP 6MM 1 5-2 6.00 5GRP POM
WH(1496105-00-B)
Correction: Trim - Side - Trunk - RH (Remove & Replace)
Correction: NVH Adjustment - 0.5

My 23 YLR Fremont has a sharp metallic rattle over medium bumps. most pronounced at right center/right rear. the noise seems to change from center to right making me think something is rolling around. It sounds as if a bolt is bouncing around inside the lift gateor perhaps a cable is loose and single-tapping the metal. I remove lift gate panels and fully inspect (twice) nothing is loose. reached my hand inside the metal tail gate pockets and felt the entire bottom for loose bolts. nothing. raise tail gate? nothing rolling around.

Removed entire rear section including side panels, everything is tight. removed rear seat bench, looked around with flashlight. nothing. i did find ONE loose bolt sitting on top of the die cast structure under the LEFT cubby. I was happy, thought i fixed it. went for a drive--noise is still there. there's a loose bolt or nut around I am not finding. it sounds like it's in the very back at the tail gate. i'll have to ride in the tub area.

i have a lot of experience diagnosing and fixing noises in other car brands and creating tutorials, so i'm experienced. this one is driving me nuts though due to the location. i don't always have a driver.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
My 23 YLR Fremont has a sharp metallic rattle over medium bumps. most pronounced at right center/right rear. the noise seems to change from center to right making me think something is rolling around. It sounds as if a bolt is bouncing around inside the lift gateor perhaps a cable is loose and single-tapping the metal. I remove lift gate panels and fully inspect (twice) nothing is loose. reached my hand inside the metal tail gate pockets and felt the entire bottom for loose bolts. nothing. raise tail gate? nothing rolling around.

Removed entire rear section including side panels, everything is tight. removed rear seat bench, looked around with flashlight. nothing. i did find ONE loose bolt sitting on top of the die cast structure under the LEFT cubby. I was happy, thought i fixed it. went for a drive--noise is still there. there's a loose bolt or nut around I am not finding. it sounds like it's in the very back at the tail gate. i'll have to ride in the tub area.

i have a lot of experience diagnosing and fixing noises in other car brands and creating tutorials, so i'm experienced. this one is driving me nuts though due to the location. i don't always have a driver.
You could check if the seat posts (the plastic pivots near the doors) are making the noise