Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Insurance Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50 % Insurance price surge because:
From today's FT:

<...>
Milena Mondini de Focatiis told the Financial Times on Thursday that price rises had, for now, caught up with inflationary trends.

<...>

and then:

The CPIH inflation rate is added for comparison. The core CPIH annual inflation rate was 5.2% in December 2023. This is the joint-lowest rate since June 2022, when it was also 5.2%

200w.gif

Reactions: AnthonyLR
My turn to add to the annual (anal?) pain club:

2023 insurance: £1,319.19
2024 insurance: £1,561.73

An increase of 18.3%

Admiral have "upgraded" me to their Gold Tier club without my asking. I have to contact them to stay on my current policy tier (sneaky f*cks) which I’m assuming will bring the premium down but not sure by how much.

Thieves, the lot of 'em!

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck
Its all a game driven by greed with copious amounts of subterfuge and semantics plus a good dose of insurers discriminating by ignoring the Equalities Act.

A computer calculates premiums based on an algorithm and staff selling the policies are kept in the dark how it all works on a "they don't need to know basis" There is a "chancer" premium and a real premium - Real premium is only offered to those who object to the chancer first quote premium if the company wishes to retain them as a customer.

The insurer really cant be arsed to speak to the customers and outsource a call centre somewhere abroad because its cheap.

The ideal customer is of course a safe driver, no claims, so each year the call centre computer sends a reminder for renewal, receives payment and a pro-forma letter is automatically emailed inviting the customer to download and print out their policy and other documents. Claim free customers just hand over money each year - its 100% profit

The semantics - The policy whereby they advertise - "If your involved in an accident with an uninsured driver you don't loose your NCB" this makes you believe its penalty free - They fail to mention they raise the premium.

Subterfuge - Your car is damaged whilst parked up and your not with the vehicle, or the other party in an accident admits full responsibility - so you are blameless. Even though its illogical, they raise your risk score - that increases your premiums for a minimum of 3 years and usually 5, they will not declare that premium increase as a value because you would be able to add that amount to your claim as "damages" and the call centre staff have no access to the risk score or algorithm - so they tell you it doesn't affect your premium. (and usually hide behind the line - insurance increases each year in line with inflation)

Premium rises we are told is also based on the number of claims made overall against the company and the value of those claims - but they keep their mouths shut about their activities regarding ambulance chasers contacting those who have had an accident in order to promote an injury claim and create a big increase in the claim costs. How do you think these claims company get the accident details in the first place? - yes supplied by the insurers themselves.
The law was changed in 2012 to stop insurers selling claims details to law firms - The sales made big money. Admiral made £18 million in 2012 selling these details. When the law banned that practice the insurers didn't stop doing it - they bought out law firms and made them part of the business - and businesses can share details within itself. Admiral for instance bought out Aegis Law.

The equalities Act - irrespective of whether you agree with it or not, specifically outlaws discrimination based on personal characteristics - but doesn't apply to insurers. Risks are based using personal characteristics, Age, marital status, where you live, occupation etc.

Just received my tractor insurance renewal letter at £550, did an online quote using the same insurer with just a few amendments was £450.
Couldn't proceed to purchase as online payment wouldn't work so phoned them up and using exactly same amendments price now £350🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Pink Duck
April 2023 premium was £420 with Churchill. Just had a quote with Admiral for £498 so a 18.5% increase.

2021 M3LR, safe area, 58 years old, retired.

I was considering whether to add breakdown cover, but Tesla handles that while in warranty doesn't it?

Tesla breakdown is only for warrantyable issues (a 3rd party breakdown is likely to be useless for an EV in those cases anyway). For more mundane things like tyres though wise to have your own.

I got mine through green flag for virtually nothing.. Insurance would have charged quite a bit more to add it.

For a new 2024 model 3 what would you put down the cost of the car? The full amount you paid or less than that. Just did an quote to check the price of my car if i was to sell it was around 28-£33000. Obviously this lowers the cost of my insurance so what would you do?

Thanks

Use the new purchase price since you probably want a policy that will replace with new if something should happen over those first 12 months.

If the car is written-off the insurance company will decide the value. You can get gap insurance to cover the difference, but don't get this from a dealer as they add commission. An independent gap insurance provider will be cheaper.

View attachment 1033113View attachment 1033113 pretty amazed was expecting much more with all the massive increases mentioned in here. I’m actually staying with Admiral £30 more expensive. This all inc legal/windscreen/legal protection/breakdown and matching courtesy car. Also it’s for business use as well.
A good claim history for the moon. I believe there was an incident involving a moon buggy during the 1970s but I don’t think any claim was made. (No other vehicles were involved.)
IMG_0908.jpeg

View attachment 1033113View attachment 1033113 pretty amazed was expecting much more with all the massive increases mentioned in here. I’m actually staying with Admiral £30 more expensive. This all inc legal/windscreen/legal protection/breakdown and matching courtesy car. Also it’s for business use as well.
Quote me Happy would not gibe me a quote at any cost (over 75) !! . . . . Not Happy!!

most of the issues I think are around repair costs so if you live somewhere where accidents are rarer i.e. out of a major city then I think you are much less likely to see big hikes. Guessing not much to hit on the moon though supplying a hire car could be very expensive

Personally I am paying less for my MY now than I was paying for an M3 in 2019 and I am not at an age where insurance goes down every year sadly.

Also maybe with the horrendous spate of thefts occurring around some other brands which thus far Tesla seem to be virtually immune from 🤞 maybe they don't look like such a bad risk to insure after all.

most of the issues I think are around repair costs so if you live somewhere where accidents are rarer i.e. out of a major city then I think you are much less likely to see big hikes. Guessing not much to hit on the moon though supplying a hire car could be very expensive

Personally I am paying less for my MY now than I was paying for an M3 in 2019 and I am not at an age where insurance goes down every year sadly.

Also maybe with the horrendous spate of thefts occurring around some other brands which thus far Tesla seem to be virtually immune from 🤞 maybe they don't look like such a bad risk to insure after all.
Yeah, I live in small market town, half an hour away from city and had 40% hike

When I was looking at LR in feb it was £750 thought not too bad ,now when I actually buy a used one it’s now £1100 and it’s not a Beirut postcode, but it’s not Cornwall either really making me think to go through with the purchase or not “, 10 years no claims 53 no points etc

I've seen GoSkippy before, typically cropping up at the desperate broker call stage :)

Often had quotes from them around £2,790 mark, so to get one that low seems a bargain to me.

QuoteZone offered really poor results this year too, the lowest I received was £1,267.10.

I ended up with £442 through Admiral, like many others.

Reactions: Trevel