Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed the M3P is now reported to have a 303 mile EPA rating, UP from 292. Interesting development.
While better than 292, 303 is disappointing - 2018 M3P was rated at 310.

Sure the EPA is more a bit strict with their testing now, but there really hasn't been any substantial improvement to range in the past 6 years since the car came out.

Sure the EPA is more a bit strict with their testing now, but there really hasn't been any substantial improvement to range in the past 6 years since the car came out.
Get a spare set of efficiency wheels and tires and you will get 350+ miles of range. That is what I did.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3

The test cycle changed for 2024 which gets the cars much closer to real world range. If the 24 M3P ran on the old test cycle it would have a higher EPA range than the prior years.

The MYP with no changes other than the new test cycle lost 24 miles of range.

The test cycle changed for 2024 which gets the cars much closer to real world range. If the 24 M3P ran on the old test cycle it would have a higher EPA range than the prior years.

The MYP with no changes other than the new test cycle lost 24 miles of range.
The older M3LR was EPA rated at 353. Even if we assume that it'd lose 30 miles of range with the new testing cycle, down to ~320, then even Tesla's newest, latest, and greatest still doesn't have that much improvement over years past.

Epa range is a joke. It should be tested and advertised for real world range. For example distance at 35mph average (town) and at 75mph (highway).
75mph is illegal for more than 75% of the population so it's not that relevant for most.

The thing about "real world range" is, its different for everyone, what you consider real world is very different to the next person. As we know there's a dozen different factors on any given day that affect the range. That could swing the real world from 250miles to 350miles. Temperature, wind direction, wind speed, tire pressure, weight, a few mph difference, drafting, windows up or down, aero covers on or off, etc

The model 3 can certainly hit it's epa rated range, sometimes it can't. It just depends.

Like non EV tags, think of the epa rating as a comparison tool. It is a guide, not a absolute.

The older M3LR was EPA rated at 353. Even if we assume that it'd lose 30 miles of range with the new testing cycle, down to ~320, then even Tesla's newest, latest, and greatest still doesn't have that much improvement over years past.
It's the same car with the same battery and the same motors, the performance motor will arguably make it worse. The only real levers in the toolkit is software tweaks and the highland very SLIGHTLY improved aero.

Big leaps forward will need new platforms which I am sure they are working on. This LR/M3P is the pinnacle of what is possible out of this platform

It's the same car with the same battery and the same motors, the performance motor will arguably make it worse. The only real levers in the toolkit is software tweaks and the highland very SLIGHTLY improved aero.

Big leaps forward will need new platforms which I am sure they are working on. This LR/M3P is the pinnacle of what is possible out of this platform
No doubt.

But that doesn't change that it's been 6 years and we're technically (on paper at least) going backwards and, at best, are living up to expectations of EPA range rather than having substantial leaps forward.

Reactions: MarkoP and Adam3
No doubt.

But that doesn't change that it's been 6 years and we're technically (on paper at least) going backwards and, at best, are living up to expectations of EPA range rather than having substantial leaps forward.
The car has also maintained its MSRP price or perhaps lower if accounting for inflation. It is clearly better in many other ways than range for its price point compared to previous years and that firmly qualifies it as forward progress.

Reactions: Jay8
Who is paying attention to EPA range in an M3P? Drive it like you stole it, get 200 miles of range, and charge it back up. My Plaid is advertised at 395, shows 372, and gets about 200 with me beating on it, with somewhat close-to-advertised cruising down the freeway, None of my gas cars ever got the EPA range, especially with 85 Mph cruising speeds and a heavy foot. My Audi would say 360 miles every time I filled it up and would do 200-240 in reality.

Who is paying attention to EPA range in an M3P? Drive it like you stole it, get 200 miles of range, and charge it back up. My Plaid is advertised at 395, shows 372, and gets about 200 with me beating on it, with somewhat close-to-advertised cruising down the freeway, None of my gas cars ever got the EPA range, especially with 85 Mph cruising speeds and a heavy foot. My Audi would say 360 miles every time I filled it up and would do 200-240 in reality.
There is a time and place for speed and a time and place for range. I need to be able to do about 350 miles without charging but I also want the Performance just not at the same time. I will use the stock wheels and tires for the track and then a set of efficiency wheels and tires for the road trips I need to take every week.

Even non Performance All Season tires can give you the vast majority of the straight-line performance the car is capable of. I have proven this many times at the track. They definitely can't provide the same level of Performance in curves or when stopping but in a straight-line at the track all-season vs. Summer tire is not that big a difference for this particular car. I won't need max performance on these road trips anyway. Efficiency will be the key there.

It is really great to have a car that can be this good all around even if it can't provide ultimate efficiency and ultimate performance simultaneously.

Reactions: RBBJ

The 310 range number for the Performance model was never a real number. Tesla initially lumped the Performance model in range-wise with the Long Range at 310. But the differences of the original Performance model (bigger heavier wheels, stickier tires, heavier overall weight, etc) made them update the range to make it a more realistic 299 mi.

The 310 range number for the Performance model was never a real number. Tesla initially lumped the Performance model in range-wise with the Long Range at 310. But the differences of the original Performance model (bigger heavier wheels, stickier tires, heavier overall weight, etc) made them update the range to make it a more realistic 299 mi.

But the older models never reflected the 299 miles right. It was always kept at the baseline 310 miles. Also...299 miles is far from realistic :D

Reactions: Adam3
1716624670212.jpeg

Did the older model range get adjusted in the car? I have a 2019 M3P with Performance pack. I don't recall my range being adjusted downward to 299 miles.
I dont think it was ever adjusted in the car. I remember tesla changing it on the ordering website for people ordering new cars but I dont remember them adjusting anything in the car.

I always took it to mean "we didnt account for the 20s when we published the range of your car at 310", so I consider 299 the starting value for my car.

Neither of those numbers mean much, as you mention, at least unless one is going on a long trip and determined to "cruise".