Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'22 MX Plaid buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can try and fight it some more, but considering all the price drops after the purchase, I'd guess, you can probably pick up a new one for less than the check they write you anyway.
True but it will still cost me more since I have already dumped $8k on full car ppf and ceramic, $800 on tint all around, that'll be doing again when I buy another one plus the tax/registration that they're not paying for.

I am definitely friendly and to be honest they're very friendly and understanding. The service advisor manager is probably the best advisor i have ever worked with and i have had 4 Teslas since 2018.
If it wasn't for the fact that I have 3 kids and I got tired of having to swap 3 car seats in and out of loaners and then my car, I would have probably tried afew more times To get them to fix it.
What service center? That is the opposite of my opinion of the Bellevue service center where their own employees have said the service manager is terrible.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
I bought my 22MXP technically used since the reservation holder couldn't sell me the reservation. But it went into my name at 1,000 miles and been in the Service center for one specific issue since 3,000 miles 6 times. The last visit they said the issue is still there, they can't fix it, they sent it to tesla engineering.
Car has 11,000 miles now but the issue was first reported at 3,000 miles.

I asked the service center to buy it back and they supposedly sent in a request but it's been dragging on.

Does anyone know typically what's the turnaround time for that? Do you know how much they'll offer me for the buyback?

TIA

I requested a buyback in late January and Tesla just agreed two days ago, so.....3+ months is what you can expect.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
Hey guys, in a similar boat with a newly purchased MY. Currently being repaired for a sheared bolt head on the front driver's knuckle. Which was due to a cross threaded bolt on a faulty wheel speed sensor repair. Which was after being in for misaligned cameras. Tesla has had the car for more days than I have at this point. Spoke with the service advisor (at Bellevue) and they put in a request for a buy back, but said it could take some time. The car is now ready to be picked up, but wondering about the mileage and ownership time. Since it is pretty much a brand new car at this point, they say that it will "likely" qualify for a full buy back. But just want to make sure that the date and mileage are as of when it first went in for service.

Think it will be okay to pick up the car and use until the buy back process is complete? Or should I leave it at Tesla/garage it, until the judgement is complete?

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Hey guys, in a similar boat with a newly purchased MY. Currently being repaired for a sheared bolt head on the front driver's knuckle. Which was due to a cross threaded bolt on a faulty wheel speed sensor repair. Which was after being in for misaligned cameras. Tesla has had the car for more days than I have at this point. Spoke with the service advisor (at Bellevue) and they put in a request for a buy back, but said it could take some time. The car is now ready to be picked up, but wondering about the mileage and ownership time. Since it is pretty much a brand new car at this point, they say that it will "likely" qualify for a full buy back. But just want to make sure that the date and mileage are as of when it first went in for service.

Think it will be okay to pick up the car and use until the buy back process is complete? Or should I leave it at Tesla/garage it, until the judgement is complete?

Thanks!
Based on my experience, when they decide to make you the offer they'll take the milage into account at that time not the time of first service. I tried to argue it should be first service but they wouldn't budge.

As soon

Thanks!
As soon as I saw you mentioned Bellevue, I felt for you. All I can say is good luck. That's who told me corporate is lying and they have nothing to do with buybacks. If they tell you something differently, please let me know. I would say you can pick up the car. At least they won't threaten you with "storage fees" as they did with me when I asked if I could just leave the car there.

As soon

As soon as I saw you mentioned Bellevue, I felt for you. All I can say is good luck. That's who told me corporate is lying and they have nothing to do with buybacks. If they tell you something differently, please let me know. I would say you can pick up the car. At least they won't threaten you with "storage fees" as they did with me when I asked if I could just leave the car there.
Haha yea I heard about Bellevue after I turned it in to them. Should I be looking at Seattle or Renton moving forward?
Based on my experience, when they decide to make you the offer they'll take the milage into account at that time not the time of first service. I tried to argue it should be first service but they wouldn't budge.

So the Service Advisor mentioned that it "should" be based on the mileage of when they submitted the Buy Back request. So I guess we'll see what they say in a couple weeks (hopefully not 3 months).

Thanks guys!

Haha yea I heard about Bellevue after I turned it in to them. Should I be looking at Seattle or Renton moving forward?

The old Seattle service center was great, but I don't know anything about the new one. Renton was fine when I went there once years ago. Lynnwood is not great...that's where my car was delivered where they did not let me see the car prior to accepting delivery and signing all of the paperwork. They had done a decent job cleaning it though!

That's just Tesla being Tesla, but there is absolutely a way for them to refund your sales tax. They just write you a check for it. It's not your problem how the accounting works internally. They did it for me no problem. But I had also made it 100% clear to them that I'd take the case to the WA arbitration path no problem, and the law was clear here what they owed me.

Here's the thing- Tesla hates being forced down the lemon law path as the car itself ends up with a branded title. So almost everyone ends up with a "buyback" - and during this, that's just a private negotiation between you and Tesla. Which is fine. But you have to know that you have the full lemon law at your back, and if you're not happy with Tesla's offer you don't have to take it. I personally wasn't willing to just let $12K+ in tax and registration slide (don't forget that $1K+ registration in Seattle), but we all have our own logic and reasons during a buyback process. And not every buyback is for a clear lemon law issue.

Every situation is different, but I just sent them a letter requesting a buyback or replacement with my repair records, waited 40 days, sent the letter to the AG and Tesla, had a few phone calls with Tesla, and then dropped it off at one of their locations. Probably less than 4 hours total work. The letter to the AG following the WA Lemon Law process is really the key and lets them know you are serious and know your rights. It's a uniquely pro-consumer process in WA.
How long after you surrender the vehicle did you receive your refund check?