Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'22 MX Plaid buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 98% of my money back for my 2021, so I'm not too bothered. I also paid $0 for mileage (and yes, I got the registration fees back). Yes, I'm sure there's always a better way to do things, but I was okay with the way it ended up for me. It was about $6k in taxes I didn't get back directly, but they made it up to me in other ways I won't get into.
How long after you surrender the vehicle did you get your money back?

This isn't a buyback case. This is lemon law, and the WA law is clear here (as someone that has actually done a lemon law buyback in WA).
You really need to read this : General Lemon Law | Washington State

First, the WA Lemon Law doesn't care if you are the first owner or 15th. So you're good there. It covers the car for 30 months, 24k miles.

Second, You don't need a lawyer or anything. But you do need to be active about it, and file a demand with Tesla. You don't wait for them. Your timers start when YOU send a certified letter to Tesla demanding repurchase or replacement. Then you wait 40 days. Then you go to arbitration.

This arbitration is through the WA Attorney General's office and is free. They will hear both sides and decide if this is a valid lemon law claim. Here's the form:

In my experience, Tesla won't want to get to that point, and will offer you a reasonable buyback, but only after the see you are serious enough to file with the arbitration board. You can come up with your own number, but on a car as expensive as an MXP, a good rule of thumb would be $1 per mile up until the defect was first reported. So if the car was $100K + $10K tax, and you drove 10K miles, you'd get $100K back (they specifically owe you the tax back).

The fun part here is that you can easily argue the "reasonable use" mileage stops when you first reported the defect. So you can just keep using the car until they buy it back or replace it for "free" - so them dragging their feet at that point is on them, not you.
I’m in a very similar situation with 16+ visits on my 2022 X plaid. I’ve already told them to start the buyback process and they’re dragging their feet for weeks until I ask for updates to receive no progress. Do I still move forward and file a demand?

The old Seattle service center was great, but I don't know anything about the new one. Renton was fine when I went there once years ago. Lynnwood is not great...that's where my car was delivered where they did not let me see the car prior to accepting delivery and signing all of the paperwork. They had done a decent job cleaning it though!
Can confirm Lynnwood is terrible.
Believe is good from my experience a few years back. Seattle location is the best location I’m told by many techs in WA because they get highest volume and in turn have the most experienced techs. However I still have mixed results because my vehicle is a lemon. Never tried the Renton location.

I’m in a very similar situation with 16+ visits on my 2022 X plaid. I’ve already told them to start the buyback process and they’re dragging their feet for weeks until I ask for updates to receive no progress. Do I still move forward and file a demand?
Did they approve the vehicle buyback and ask for your loan/title paperwork, or have they said they will look into it and not give updates?

When I first started the buyback process directly with the service center in Burbank, they scoffed. I wrote a buyback letter to Tesla and then called the customer service number to inform them—they put in a note to my service center again, and within a couple days another service center rep told me the vehicle buyback was approved. I gave them the requested paperwork last week, and followed up on the process today. They mentioned it has been submitted to HQ to run the numbers but it isn’t quick.

I’m thinking of sending a follow-up letter directly to arbitration (I’m in CA).

Did they approve the vehicle buyback and ask for your loan/title paperwork, or have they said they will look into it and not give updates?

When I first started the buyback process directly with the service center in Burbank, they scoffed. I wrote a buyback letter to Tesla and then called the customer service number to inform them—they put in a note to my service center again, and within a couple days another service center rep told me the vehicle buyback was approved. I gave them the requested paperwork last week, and followed up on the process today. They mentioned it has been submitted to HQ to run the numbers but it isn’t quick.

I’m thinking of sending a follow-up letter directly to arbitration (I’m in CA).
I’m not even there yet. The case was pending review and wasn’t even assigned for like 2 months. Contacting lawyers today to guide me through the buyback.

ontacting lawyers today to guide me through the buyback.
Since you are in WA, you don't need lawyers. The WA attorney general does arbitration on lemon law cases and it's free because there's a small fee on all car purchases for this.

File your arbitration request and inform Tesla. Tesla will immediately know you are serious.

Tesla told me they would buy the car back nearly two months ago but has done nothing since. I am now at 161 days since I originally requested a buy back. Tesla has reached out to me a grand total of zero times. Good luck to anyone trying to go through this process because Tesla makes it an absolute h*ll.

Like I said, stop asking Tesla. Fill out the WA arbitration request form. The literal attorney general's office in WA will get involved very quickly if they don't respond after that.
I can't imagine someone just sitting around for 161 days with a $100K purchase. OF COURSE TESLA WILL IGNORE YOU. It's in their best interest. Luckily we live in a state with great laws and support around this.
That being said, this only works if you actually meet the requirements for a buyback, which are conveniently listed. If you don't meet those, then same thing.... Why would you expect Tesla to respond to your request for a whole bunch of money from them that they don't owe you?

I mean, I literally took Tesla to court and they never responded. It took a court order to get them to pay up, but then they did right away once that existed.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Have been reading these for a while trying to see if a Tesla was right for me. In the automotive world Tesla is a startup, and even though I embrace the startup culture, it is a vehicle that moves us around we are talking about. Risky stuff. But after many years in BMW M and AMG cars I wanted to move away from the gas station for a change and try something new. I do believe electric cars, or anything without gasoline, is the future.

So 3 months ago I sold my BMW (G80) M3 that I got after my BMW (F90) M5 (yeah M3 is not model 3) and decided to venture out to electrify our transportation.

Plan was that we will start with an MX that my wife will drive when parking assist will be available “again”. The back doors look pretty cool anyway. So we got an MX end of March.

Saying these because I wanted to chime in here about a positive experience and why everything can be based on your locality and/or other factors. This is without trying to discount anybody else’s experience, just to note that it can all be relevant.

We got the 2023 MX end of March with an issue that couldn’t be fixed after 3 times at service (car would become unresponsive while charging) and I suggested a buyback which was approved within days in May. I ordered a replacement MXP and I returned the previous car at the same time I picked up the new one within a month. The new I just picked up was amazingly clean and even waxed at the time of pickup - totally great experience.

Mine was a lease and I was credited everything paid which automatically transferred to the new lease. I have to say amazing job standing by your product to Tesla and especially the people at the local Knoxville, TN service center that have been several times more professional than most high end dealerships I have experienced.

And I have had my share of issues with other brands, that were definitely not handled this gracefully.

And yes, we ventured out to an MB EQS too for my wife. Why? Because it is a startup and the internal decision was “we don’t need parking sensors!” for better or worse…

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Your buyback was approved in days? Mine is at 6 months and counting and Tesla won't even respond...and I have dozens of issues with the car. Ridiculous.

Have been reading these for a while trying to see if a Tesla was right for me. In the automotive world Tesla is a startup, and even though I embrace the startup culture, it is a vehicle that moves us around we are talking about. Risky stuff. But after many years in BMW M and AMG cars I wanted to move away from the gas station for a change and try something new. I do believe electric cars, or anything without gasoline, is the future.

So 3 months ago I sold my BMW (G80) M3 that I got after my BMW (F90) M5 (yeah M3 is not model 3) and decided to venture out to electrify our transportation.

Plan was that we will start with an MX that my wife will drive when parking assist will be available “again”. The back doors look pretty cool anyway. So we got an MX end of March.

Saying these because I wanted to chime in here about a positive experience and why everything can be based on your locality and/or other factors. This is without trying to discount anybody else’s experience, just to note that it can all be relevant.

We got the 2023 MX end of March with an issue that couldn’t be fixed after 3 times at service (car would become unresponsive while charging) and I suggested a buyback which was approved within days in May. I ordered a replacement MXP and I returned the previous car at the same time I picked up the new one within a month. The new I just picked up was amazingly clean and even waxed at the time of pickup - totally great experience.

Mine was a lease and I was credited everything paid which automatically transferred to the new lease. I have to say amazing job standing by your product to Tesla and especially the people at the local Knoxville, TN service center that have been several times more professional than most high end dealerships I have experienced.

And I have had my share of issues with other brands, that were definitely not handled this gracefully.

And yes, we ventured out to an MB EQS too for my wife. Why? Because it is a startup and the internal decision was “we don’t need parking sensors!” for better or worse…

His was a lease. I had a lease MY and told them I didn't want to lease anymore after 3 months just to see what they would say. They took it back the next week when I made a purchase. A buyback is a bit different.
Lease or any kind of other financing method or fully paid would have made no difference, at least in my case. After the buyback was approved it seemed that nobody knew it was a lease and I was asked for normal payoff, payments made, registration etc. to calculate an offer.

Lease or any kind of other financing method or fully paid would have made no difference, at least in my case. After the buyback was approved it seemed that nobody knew it was a lease and I was asked for normal payoff, payments made, registration etc. to calculate an offer.
It obviously makes a difference. They are more willing to return/buy back leases even though both are financed through a Bank. There are tons of stories of Tesla letting people out of leases or even trading leases, pretty easily, while their buyback program for lemons that are owned (or financed) is arduous to say the least.

I'm sure someone here in Banking can easily explain why the two are so different.

It obviously makes a difference. They are more willing to return/buy back leases even though both are financed through a Bank. There are tons of stories of Tesla letting people out of leases or even trading leases, pretty easily, while their buyback program for lemons that are owned (or financed) is arduous to say the least.

I'm sure someone here in Banking can easily explain why the two are so different.
lol - ok sure.

lol - ok sure.
So...they give you or most no issues on returning, trading, or getting out of a lease, but there are numerous threads and posters saying they basically give them a cold shoulder about buybacks on purchased/financed vehicles.

How do you not see a difference? Have you read this thread?

Tesla didn't care at all about getting me out of a 3 year lease 6 months in and even refunded me the down payment and the last month of payments and allowed me to put that towards buying a car. There was 0 pushback. It took less than a week.

As I wrote in my original post:

"Saying these because I wanted to chime in here about a positive experience and why everything can be based on your locality and/or other factors. This is without trying to discount anybody else’s experience, just to note that it can all be relevant."

Lease was definitely not a factor in my case but locality could have been, such as service center and its management.

As I wrote in my original post:

"Saying these because I wanted to chime in here about a positive experience and why everything can be based on your locality and/or other factors. This is without trying to discount anybody else’s experience, just to note that it can all be relevant."

Lease was definitely not a factor in my case but locality could have been, such as service center and its management.
But nationwide they appear to be forgiving of leases. Nationwide they seem to be shitty with buybacks.

Can you at least acknowledge that it's a potential factor. You've oddly written it off as it's the same thing, which it isn't.