Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3% Price increase across the board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We go to Europe once or twice per year and I can assure you that the service in most European restaurants is head and shoulders above the service in most US restaurants.

You can "assure me"? I'm speaking from direct experience being there for business and leisure multiple times.

I can count on my fingers and toes the # of times in the US I've been at a decent restaurant and had to track a server down to order a drink or pay my tab and typically it not only happens automatically but it happens very quickly.

Slow service in Germany was so glaringly obvious the last time I was there on a holiday with my wife that even she commented on it and she's fairly oblivious to that kind of stuff.

But there are studies, so.... clearly I'm wrong here.

Keeping the stores is smart. They need that visibility, if only to show the world that they're real, they're stable, and they're not going anywhere.

Now, as for the pricing.... Car companies change pricing all the time. All the time. I appreciate the simplicity of Tesla's pricing - some people will get a better bargain than others.... Just like the people who buy a car at some dealership's Labor Day sale.

Doesn't offend me... car prices change all the time; at least Tesla's pricing is transparent and straightforward.

So in the case of "legacy" dealerships, each dealer can play their own game, so each customer may not get the same price, all dependent on the buyer's negotiating skills. With Tesla, the company itself plays games with customers with their price changes, fluctuating and unpredictable like the weather. Not that dis-similar.

But there are studies, so.... clearly I'm wrong here.
Your experiences aren't wrong, they're what they are. Probably better to just say that they're not representative of the majority of transactions.

European dining culture is also completely different from US dining culture. Servers only bring the tab upon request, and they don't expect to rush you out of the establishment. As Americans, it can often be an adjustment. This is less about the server's motivation and more about the standards of expectation in their restaurant.

Your experiences aren't wrong, they're what they are. Probably better to just say that they're not representative of the majority of transactions.

European dining culture is also completely different from US dining culture. Servers only bring the tab upon request, and they don't expect to rush you out of the establishment. As Americans, it can often be an adjustment. This is less about the server's motivation and more about the standards of expectation in their restaurant.

It could be chalked up to culture, maybe. Certainly I've never had to work as hard to get another beer served to me as I have in Bavarian restaurants. On the other hand, the dunkel weiss in many German beer halls and restaurants are heavenly and worth the wait.

So in the case of "legacy" dealerships, each dealer can play their own game, so each customer may not get the same price, all dependent on the buyer's negotiating skills. With Tesla, the company itself plays games with customers with their price changes, fluctuating and unpredictable like the weather. Not that dis-similar.

Right, but with Tesla at least I know what I'm getting when I pull the trigger. I can make a decision - is this the right dollars-to-product for me, or not? That's up front, straightforward and I can either execute, or not. It's not a protracted game; it is what it is at that moment. I'm not going to the dealership wondering "What's this going to cost me when we're done beating each other up?"

I don't have to go into the dealership, "negotiate", argue, threaten to walk out, play 4-square games and waste hours upon hours of my life before I even get to talk to the F&I guy. And then deal with that baloney.

The only time the Tesla model is bad is when you don't think you got the "deal of the year" - but it's absolutely transparent. The price you see on the website is what you'll pay. Now, it may be a different price next week/month/year - but it's still transparent. Once you click the "buy now" button, that's that - you've committed to that price being The One for you.

If that price doesn't make you happy, don't click the button... but once you've clicked, that's your price. They made an offer, you accepted it. Point blank.

Who wants to buy a $50,000 car from a company that may or may not close its stores on a week's notice and then may or may not reopen them next week?
The amateur-hour look isn't good, it's true... but I for one am pretty sure my car will be exactly the same whether or not they close their stores, leave them open, or Elon starts wearing plaid plus-fours to board meetings. Now that I have the car, the store is pretty much meaningless to me.

translated: Oops, we have leases we can't get out of. Someone should have thought of that... in their defense they probably did but couldn't manage that up. had to let this course of action play out.
I'm more thinking someone realized that most people aren't going to buy a car without a test drive. The 7 day return policy is great and all, but it's a very rare person who's going to setup a loan for tens off thousands of dollars just to test drive car.
Does this mean those of us that can upgrade to FSD for 2k should do so now?
I'd like to know this as well. For $2k, it's right in the range of what I would consider an impulse buy - get it just in case something cool comes out in the future. If that goes up even $500 (which I realize is much more than 3%) then I probably would just not buy it.

Reactions: APotatoGod

I lived and worked in Europe for two years and can say that service at restaurants is comparable to service here in the US from my experience. No worse, no better IMO.

As an aside, ate at one of my favorite fast causal burger spots in SoCal yesterday and my goodness, first time in months that I felt compelled to tip 5% with a length note written on the CC bill. Took forever to get our waiter t bring us condiments, refills, and the check.