TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

3rd Party HEPA Filter

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Leena, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Leena

Leena Member

• Informative x 1
  2. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

3. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

I wonder how this would work as a replacement of an existing HEPA filter in an S or X? How does the $79 eBay price compare to the cost of buying just the HEPA filter from Tesla?

4. Leena

Leena Member

My understanding is that this is only the filter. Tessa sells the whe assembly, including the plastic housing. If you have PUP, then software should all be the same. If you don't have PUP, I am guessing it still works but you just can't force air thru the help filter, biodefe we mode? The title said for model X only.

5. Leena

Leena Member

Oh and it's $375 if buy from Tessa.

6. hill

hill Member

#6 hill, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    here's a hint - Lexus will snap in & out, a new 'Lexus' cabin air filter for $100. Buy 1 on eBay, do it yourself, & the whole job takes less than 45 seconds - whereas it takes you that long just to get out of the house to head to the lexus stealership service Bay.
    (EDIT)
    I see the ebay seller only has just over a dozen prior transactions - none of which are recent enough to be one of these filters, necessarily. Ie - you go 1st & let us know if it works out.
    ;)

7. Leena

Leena Member

Frank man, good advise. I think I will sell my model X and buy a Lexus then.

• Funny x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I got the filter option added on later from Tesla. Its just a filter and a tech plugging in a laptop to enable bio defense mode.

Bio defense mode is preconfigured high speed fan settings.

All the ducting is already in place.

This is an all margin move for Tesla other than their is a basic cost just to take your car in so maybe this is why they don't offer it anymore. :(

9. Leena

Leena Member

MXWing,
    Thank you so much for the info. I was not sure what BioDefense does exactly. If it is just HiSpeed fan, then activation BioDefense is even more difficult from the user interface perspective than using the scroll wheel to turn the fan on hi. You won't even have to take your eyes off the road. So what they advertised in the last picture is legit. I ordered 3 but I don't have the PUP and was a bit nervous about that. Your answer helps a lot.
    Thankyou

10. Leena

Leena Member

Has anyone who have PUP bought this filter? I am interested in knowing how it easy it is to remove the Tesla Original filter with this one. Thank you