Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party HEPA Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Where? In the PUP? As I’ve said, just because it’s mentioned as being in those cars, doesn’t mean it’s ONLY in those cars.

Again, if the separate BWDM option was only adding the HEPA filter, how would/could that be equivalent to the BWDM in the PUP then?

We’re never going to answer this without a non-PUP owner looking to see if they have the charcoal canisters. No point in going around and around more. :D

But even if an owner looks and sees something with carbon on it, that won't be a definite answer as I attempted to point out above.

We need to compare part numbers or at least images of both versions to be sure...

But even if an owner looks and sees something with carbon on it, that won't be a definite answer as I attempted to point out above.

We need to compare part numbers or at least images of both versions to be sure...
Oh definitely, I meant compare the actual charcoal canisters in the PUP version to see they are the same in the non-PUP. I think they are for ease of assembly and addition of the HEPA as the add-on accessory.

We have all those non-PUP people in the non-dynamic headlight thread, maybe one of them would volunteer. :D

Nope. Where? In the PUP? As I’ve said, just because it’s mentioned as being in those cars, doesn’t mean it’s ONLY in those cars.

Again, if the separate BWDM option was only adding the HEPA filter, how would/could that be equivalent to the BWDM in the PUP then?

We’re never going to answer this without a non-PUP owner looking to see if they have the charcoal canisters. No point in going around and around more. :D

Yes, the active carbon filters get their very own bullet point in the PUP. It couldn't be any clearer that it's intended to be a PUP upgrade.

Somewhere between the HEPA at the back of the Frunk and the air vents in the dash. :)

I'd guess it'll be accessed either thorough the glove box area or from the Frunk.

I was at the service center today, and the tech said the activated carbon filters are standard and identical in the non PUP cars. They are supposedly above the glove box area. Someone feeling adventurous and want to pull it open to verify? :)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I was at the service center today, and the tech said the activated carbon filters are standard and identical in the non PUP cars.

If that is actually true (not that everything service techs say is true - see the uncorking threads for example!) then Tesla are skating on thin ice advertising the carbon filters as a specific feature of the PUP upgrade if they are in fact a standard item. Until someone pulls the relevant part numbers up then nothing is proven either way. But Tesla are most certainly claiming that the active carbon filters are an upgrade in their sales literature.

If that is actually true (not that everything service techs say is true - see the uncorking threads for example!) then Tesla are skating on thin ice advertising the carbon filters as a specific feature of the PUP upgrade if they are in fact a standard item. Until someone pulls the relevant part numbers up then nothing is proven either way. But Tesla are most certainly claiming that the active carbon filters are an upgrade in their sales literature.

Totally agree that nothing is proven, or even won't change in the future. I'd be more than happy to pull my non PUP open if someone shows me how.

This is the in car cabin filter from my non-PUP MX. It is located behind the glove box. You obviously need to remove the glove box to access it.

20171002_113105_resized.jpg
20171002_113117_resized.jpg
20171002_113505_resized.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Saghost
This is the in car cabin filter from my non-PUP MX. It is located behind the glove box. You obviously need to remove the glove box to access it.

View attachment 257489 View attachment 257490 View attachment 257491

Well, the part number on a non-PuP Model X apparently isn't the same one (1072736-00-B) quoted for a refresh Model S in the other thread - but that's not particularly surprising given that it's an S and an X. But we're getting closer to having enough information for a definitive answer. :)

Well the non-PUP filter in those photos looks like a single element to me, not the two activated carbon filters described in the PUP. But we need to see a Model X PUP filter next to confirm either way. I wouldn't be surprised with either conclusion with Tesla manufacturing! But I won't be too pleased if this particular advertised PUP upgrade turns out to be a standard fit item. That is really not on when selling the PUP, especially when it is such an expensive upgrade overall.

Inspired by this thread on the Model S side, it took me 2 tries but I was able to get the Parts department at my local SC to sell me the Model X Hepa Filter. The super nice parts employee was very clear they would not activate BWD or install the filter for me. The Model X filter comes in the entire housing so hopefully if I find some time in the next 1-2 weeks, it sounds like I can unbolt the old filter box and bolt in this new one. The cost was $175+tax for anyone interested in trying to go this route. You may need to try more than one service/parts employee. Otherwise many Model S owners are buying a custom sized MERV13 air filter from FilterBuy (or other similar sources), one MX owner told me the size he would recommend getting is 12"x40.25"x1" if buying custom-sized one. I'll report back if I have any issues installing the OEM part.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Mind taking a picture of the OEM part with the housing? Thanks!

Inspired by this thread on the Model S side, it took me 2 tries but I was able to get the Parts department at my local SC to sell me the Model X Hepa Filter. The super nice parts employee was very clear they would not activate BWD or install the filter for me. The Model X filter comes in the entire housing so hopefully if I find some time in the next 1-2 weeks, it sounds like I can unbolt the old filter box and bolt in this new one. The cost was $175+tax for anyone interested in trying to go this route. You may need to try more than one service/parts employee. Otherwise many Model S owners are buying a custom sized MERV13 air filter from FilterBuy (or other similar sources), one MX owner told me the size he would recommend getting is 12"x40.25"x1" if buying custom-sized one. I'll report back if I have any issues installing the OEM part.

Mind taking a picture of the OEM part with the housing? Thanks!
Will do soon!

I've just ordered a MX HEPA filter from the Melbourne SC. Cost was AU$296 incl. Will try and make a short video of removal of old/installation of new when it arrives. I hope to make one of cleaning the cabin filter too.
This would be fantastic. I won't getting try until 2-3 weeks from now, but a little worried I might get stuck