Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The clips on the air director (after the three clips nearest to the windshield) just need to be gently pulled to the side before attempting to remove the plastic.

Didn’t use tape - will see in the daylight (got dark as I was finishing - stupid time change) if it’s pulling correctly. I did put the carbon on the input side of the filter in hopes the airflow would push them together. Will see how it works.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
I put my fan speed on 10 and air flow on 'outside air' to make sure that air is sucked through the front air intake. The air intake is the one right behind the frunk box on the model S. So it definitely was pulling air thru there.

I get my filters tomorrow and will install.

Whenever I ask about getting the button added to my car, they tell me that it would damage my car to even attempt to do so, and that anyone claiming to have had it done is obviously mistaken. :rolleyes:

To anyone who has had success getting their service center to add the button to their car, is there anything you can offer to help the rest of us? Something special you told them, a copy of a work order, or anything else really?

IMG_2059.PNG
Whenever I ask about getting the button added to my car, they tell me that it would damage my car to even attempt to do so, and that anyone claiming to have had it done is obviously mistaken. :rolleyes:

To anyone who has had success getting their service center to add the button to their car, is there anything you can offer to help the rest of us? Something special you told them, a copy of a work order, or anything else really?
They installed the bwd button in about 5 minutes. I bought the filter and asked about getting the button and they just did it no questions. Here is a copy of my work order.

I have ordered the hepa filter from my local SC - it should arrive on Friday. My mobile service (to uncork) is tomorrow morning. I will try and get him to enable the Bio-button on my dashboard - keeping my fingers crossed. Will update.

Good luck! You just call the SC to order a part? Any charge to ship it?
I called Sunnyvale SC and they didn't probe much on if my car had PUP or not. The part should be available on friday for pick-up - I will see if they give me a hard time when I go pick up.

Also, this morning I got my uncorking done with the tesla mobile service. The guy was hesitant to enable the bio-button for me, and said he would check with his team and re-schedule. I guess bay area is a bit more tight on these rules as they have a lot more volume and closer to factory.

When I pick up the hepa filter, I might ask them to enable the button in the SC. I run the risk of not getting the part if I ask them to enable the button :)

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and ishareit
Just got the filter from Filter Buy. Came dented. Wondering if I should ask for exchange so it would fit better?View attachment 259228 View attachment 259229

Yours showed up in better shape than mine - it was crushed in a couple spots. However, after getting an OEM filter installed, I used my filterbuy filter in my gas wall heater. It's getting cold here in SF!

I would just use it as is. I think it'll be fine. And no guarantee the replacement won't be damaged worse, like mine was.

I wrote about this on Model X thread but for anyone with MX who was looking for ideas in this thread, I was able to get OEM Tesla MX HEPA filter from my local SC for $175+tax. They won't install or activate BWD for me... Hopefully install is as easy as the MS. Thanks Crehop for the inspiration!

What kind of mounting equipment? Which SC? thanks!

I haven't gone through it all, but there's a hood, and some screws/nuts. I'll post more details after I get an answer/possibly installation of the BWD button(Sorry, just don't want to screw myself out of that, should just be a few days).

EDIT: Nevermind, got my answer: They won't add the button. I bought the filter and mounting kit from the Sunnyvale SC. Worth noting that it took a LOT of persistence. It was pretty difficult to get through to their parts dept. and I had to call back regularly for answers.

Last edited: