Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Major Automakers Band Together to build their own Network.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big 7.PNG

Interesting.

BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes, KIA, GM*, Honda and Stellantis will be building their own charging network (Non-Tesla branded), but will be using NACS, along side CCS which I think they'll eventually phase out?

If so this may indirectly confirm that the Big 7 will be adopting the NACS? (*GM already did as we know), but instead of using Tesla SCs they'll be just building their own "stations" which is smart from a business perspective so good on them. They obviously know that there is a huge piece of the pie up for grabs in an untapped free market.

It keeps Tesla from monopolizing (giving consumers more options), which is a positive thing. After all if it's NACS that's a win win.

The Big 7 plan to build 30,000 charging stations with the focus of making them more like a gas stations with the option to purchase food and snacks etc. Going into it with this intent out of the gate is much better than what Tesla did in just putting up chargers where they could without these amenities.

The new network from the Big 7 can charge all EVs so essentially this isn't necessary a bad thing for Tesla owners.

What do you guys think about this? I was curious why things were so quiet with the Big 7, while Ford and some others were quick to throw in the white flag submitting to the Tesla throne. I get it now...

Simply put, if Tesla was the Chevron, we'll now be getting a Shell, all of which we can utilize so it's just another option (network) to accommodate the future of EVs, except now it'll come with the convenience of having restrooms, food, snacks, and drinks like the old dyno juice stations.

Last edited:
Anyone ever work at a company and have 7 vendors come in and talk about a problem you are having? Surely there was no finger-pointing when they were working a problem. :cool:. I think anytime a company invest in an area they have no expertise in - EV charging distribution, it doesn't go well. Our power company here in Colorado thinks they need $140M dollars to build an EV network! uh? No thanks, just keep giving us electricity and stay out of the "EV Charging" business.

This will eventually be good to establish competition for pricing of fast DC charging. Tesla has kept costs reasonable, but competition is always better.
The easiest solution to manage getting more charging stations at good locations is to partner with current gas stations and add 4-12 stations on the edge of their lot. Usually in convenient locations, and ROI is better since the mini mart is already up and running and will see increased foot traffic. Over time, the EV stalls will start replacing the gas stalls if we continue on this trajectory

Reactions: Elektrick
On my way to work this morning, gasoline was selling for $3.39/gallon.

At home, I pay an average of 10.5¢/kWh (12¢ in the Summer and 9¢ in the Winter).

The Superchargers in my area are 37¢/kWh.

I have used 1,514 kWh in 4,959 miles which is 3.2¢/mile for electricity or the equivalent of an ICE-powered vehicle that gets 106 MPG.

If I used a Supercharger, that would cost 11.3¢/mile which is the equivalent of 30 MPG. There are plenty of ICE-powered vehicles that easily exceed that.

Reactions: gt2690b
The Big 7 seem to have overlooked one very important point on re creating the gas station model. With and EV I can charge at home for about 1/4 the price of the DC fast chargers. Obviously with a gas car you MUST fill up at a gas station somewhere.

Bonus I can charge at home at night while I do something else like sleep. :)

The Big 7 are also going to run into problems of trying to get 7 disparate companies to agree on all sorts of details. I will note that they could not even come up with a name for their network that all 7 could agree on before the press release. In fact the only detail that they did agree on was the end goal of building 30,000 stations ASAP.

Short term they might get a small number of stations up and running. Long term I predict this network will fail.
I tend to agree with you, @KJD .
Tesla has pivoted, not sure when, but they've started partnering with companies like Meijer and Target to host their SC's in typically empty parts of their parking lots. Which I see as very smart. Most of us don't want to sit in the car while it charges.

We all know that a charging stop is currently on average much longer than a typical gas station stop. So I don't see a biz model based on gas stations working in the near future. Maybe in another 10 yrs when charging gets faster, but any stations they build now will inevitably need to be upgraded for that. I mean Tesla is already upgrading their SC's to newer tech, and will continue to need to as tech improves.

So IMO, a real workable model for this Big 7 would need to be based more on a rest stop-type format, with more activities available than just convenient store shopping.
I think that's why Tesla is trying the Bucee's model, because it is more of a destination stop first, and gas station second.
The average length of time at Bucee's is longer than a typical gas station.
And Bucee's are only located near interstates, so it's a safe bet biz-wise for Tesla to add to their network for EV owners that travel.
In my limited travels, I've mostly found Meijer to be the most convenient, but they aren't typically right off the interstates. Just close enough.
But overall, I welcome any and all NACS charging growth. As someone with Lifetime SC'ing, I'm going to stick to Tesla's network whenever possible. But it's never bad to have more options in a pinch.

This will eventually be good to establish competition for pricing of fast DC charging. Tesla has kept costs reasonable, but competition is always better.
The easiest solution to manage getting more charging stations at good locations is to partner with current gas stations and add 4-12 stations on the edge of their lot. Usually in convenient locations, and ROI is better since the mini mart is already up and running and will see increased foot traffic. Over time, the EV stalls will start replacing the gas stalls if we continue on this trajectory
Totally agree with you regarding the competition will help.

Your idea is plausible in rural-type areas. But there are so many urban gas stations that don't have any extra space to add SC's. City charging, like parking, will always be at a premium.

Reactions: gaswalla
Tesla has pivoted, not sure when, but they've started partnering with companies like Meijer and Target to host their SC's in typically empty parts of their parking lots. Which I see as very smart. Most of us don't want to sit in the car while it charges.

We all know that a charging stop is currently on average much longer than a typical gas station stop. So I don't see a biz model based on gas stations working in the near future. Maybe in another 10 yrs when charging gets faster, but any stations they build now will inevitably need to be upgraded for that. I mean Tesla is already upgrading their SC's to newer tech, and will continue to need to as tech improves.

So IMO, a real workable model for this Big 7 would need to be based more on a rest stop-type format, with more activities available than just convenient store shopping.
I think that's why Tesla is trying the Bucee's model, because it is more of a destination stop first, and gas station second.
And Bucee's are only located near interstates, so it's a safe bet biz-wise for Tesla to add to their network for EV owners that travel.
In my limited travels, I've mostly found Meijer to be the most convenient, but they aren't typically right off the interstates. Just close enough.
But overall, I welcome any and all NACS charging growth. As someone with Lifetime SC'ing, I'm going to stick to Tesla's network whenever possible. But it's never bad to have more options in a pinch.
Tesla has been placing Superchargers in parking lots near retails stores like Target for years in CA. It's more likely that the land owner wanted to install EV charging and Elon offered the equipment.

I have used 1,514 kWh in 4,959 miles which is 3.2¢/mile for electricity or the equivalent of an ICE-powered vehicle that gets 106 MPG.

If I used a Supercharger, that would cost 11.3¢/mile which is the equivalent of 30 MPG. There are plenty of ICE-powered vehicles that easily exceed that.
Of course the ICE driver has no alternative to the $3.39/gal fuel.
You do have a cheap alternative to the $.37/kWh electricity.

Reactions: zroger73
Percentage wise I haven't seen the numbers but virtually every Tesla sold has had some kind of rebate vs less than half of Ford's cars and trucks correct?
Correct, but not everyone qualifies for the full tax credit, and I'm almost certain that if you add up all of the money Ford received from sugar daddy uncle Sam, it would amount to a lot more many times over than what Tesla ever received.

The difference here is that Tesla has/had the means to pay back vs Ford who will likely never be able to fully satisfy their "loan" at least not anytime in the near future. It's sugar money for Ford.
They really can't. The way I understand it the laws are written such that once they have sold a single dealership they can't sell direct anywhere. Maybe they could buy back all of the dealerships, but I'm not even sure that would work. (And surely they wouldn't all sell back easily.)
Great point.
Not a great idea to buy existing gas stations to replace with electric “pumps”. Its sitting on a huge environmental liability if the tanks or plumbing ever had a leak (or will in the future if not removed).
Good point as well. I think with a proper removal of the tanks and clean up, if necessary, will be the best thing for these already existing lots. That way it solves any worries going forward, otherwise the lots would be all sitting "contained pollution" tanks, granted nothing leaks. Even if the fuel is pumped out of the tanks, it should just be removed all together.
Comparing multiplied billions in loans, which, as has been stated, are unlikely to ever be paid back in full, to tax incentives for the purchase of cars is apples and oranges. More like apples and grapes, it's much smaller. Tesla did have a government loan early on, they paid it back fully and way ahead of schedule.

Government money is one of the oldest arguments about why Tesla made it, and doesn't stand muster when you examine it closely.
I agree. Apples to a Mustard seed. Ford's actions speak for itself. They're hurting bad, losing money and clearly desperate. Slashing prices ~¢10K, offering >1.9% financing and other incentives, all in the current state of our economy? Ford is undoubtedly being carried, which honestly diminishes their reputation to those who can see what's really going on.

Maybe you're right but it's disingenuous to not show your numbers and just outright dismiss the federal backing that both companies are getting... Tesla sold what like a million cars? At $7500 back each that's like $7.5B .. I know it goes into my thought process when buying a car and I doubt I'm alone ... Could they survive without the rebate? Probably but it's still there
Not everyone qualifies for the tax incentive. Ford also has models that qualify for the tax incentive.Tesla borrows, they pay back. Ford borrows, they never pay back. We're talking about two very different scenarios here.

It would be interesting to see the detailed numbers.
The Big 7 seem to have overlooked one very important point on re creating the gas station model. With and EV I can charge at home for about 1/4 the price of the DC fast chargers. Obviously with a gas car you MUST fill up at a gas station somewhere.

Bonus I can charge at home at night while I do something else like sleep. :)

The Big 7 are also going to run into problems of trying to get 7 disparate companies to agree on all sorts of details. I will note that they could not even come up with a name for their network that all 7 could agree on before the press release. In fact the only detail that they did agree on was the end goal of building 30,000 stations ASAP.

Short term they might get a small number of stations up and running. Long term I predict this network will fail.
True. Charging at home is a factor that makes it hard to compare 1:1 to gas stations. This is why the Big 7 are focusing on other primary revenue streams with the model that they're building.

Network expansion is a necessity and since it will use the NACS, I don't think it'll necessarily fail. Now if it was CCS then yes, I'm sure a lot would want it to fail to rid that useless standard.

Also have to keep in mind that the rate of charging and time will only get faster. Regardless, humanoids still have to eat, stretch, use the restroom, and have breaks in general.

This is where a model such as what the Big 7 are creating benefits vs a Tesla SC in a random parking lot with nothing around. Sure there are some near food, stores and restrooms, but it's not always as convenient, especially when it's after hours and everything is closed.

I've been seeing more and more signs on business doors with a sign that says "restrooms for customers only" near Tesla SCs.

I think the Big 7's model is forward thinking and will bring some balance to keep the rates competitive. Having only Tesla SCs isn't necessarily a good thing. Monopoly = Control. Competition = Good for Consumers.

Using an already existing infrastructure and destination such as Bucee's was a smart move. This may be an advantage for Tesla in going forward with this type of model since they wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

However this plays out, it's nice to be on the consumer side, eating our popcorn and enjoying the growth. We reap the rewards and convenience.

Maybe you're right but it's disingenuous to not show your numbers and just outright dismiss the federal backing that both companies are getting... Tesla sold what like a million cars? At $7500 back each that's like $7.5B .. I know it goes into my thought process when buying a car and I doubt I'm alone ... Could they survive without the rebate? Probably but it's still there
It's interesting how many people don't understand this. Do you know how much of that money was paid by the government to Tesla? It is $0.

"Could they survive without the rebate?"

Uh, yeah, because they don't get that money. Let's say I bought some rolls of insulation and installed it under the flooring of my house in the crawlspace. (I actually did that.) I don't remember if it's nationally, but maybe it's some states have tax deductions or credits that individuals can file if they have spent money like that, which were energy efficiency improvements to their homes. (Similar deal with energy efficient furnaces or things like that) The person filed for that deduction or credit on their personal income tax, and they got some benefit.

Do you know how much money was written as a "subsidy" check to Corning, who made the insulation? $0. It's the same damn thing. The manufacturer of the product, like Corning or Tesla, doesn't get any money when an individual files a personal income tax credit.

Building fueling stations for EV's the same as for gas pumps is the right move IMO. They should be like a WAWA, with clean bathrooms, good food options, and maybe some places to sit. After all, you'll be there quite a bit longer. Pull through stations takes care of the towing issue. Ideally, existing gas stations such as WAWA should add some DC chargers so they can service both. That right there would resolve the charging issue. There are some stations like that already.

It's interesting how many people don't understand this. Do you know how much of that money was paid by the government to Tesla? It is $0.

"Could they survive without the rebate?"

Uh, yeah, because they don't get that money. Let's say I bought some rolls of insulation and installed it under the flooring of my house in the crawlspace. (I actually did that.) I don't remember if it's nationally, but maybe it's some states have tax deductions or credits that individuals can file if they have spent money like that, which were energy efficiency improvements to their homes. (Similar deal with energy efficient furnaces or things like that) The person filed for that deduction or credit on their personal income tax, and they got some benefit.

Do you know how much money was written as a "subsidy" check to Corning, who made the insulation? $0. It's the same damn thing. The manufacturer of the product, like Corning or Tesla, doesn't get any money when an individual files a personal income tax credit.
Tesla very much cares if their cars are eligible for the rebate(s).. it directly effects demand and how much they can charge for their cars and their effective margin on each sale.. it's pretty common knowledge when a rebate is introduced on a car the MSRP goes up very close to the value of the rebate

Sure not everyone is eligible that's why I capped it at 1M

Last edited:
Tesla very much cares if their cars are eligible for the rebate(s).. it directly effects demand and how much they can charge for their cars and their effective margin on each sale.. it's pretty common knowledge when a rebate is introduced on a car the MSRP goes up very close to the value of the rebate
It's "common knowledge"? Tesla changes prices pretty drastically on their cars many times a year. It would be hard to correlate that to a tax credit implementation that happens less than once per year.

And as far as it affecting demand, we saw that disproven years ago. People kept making that claim that tax credits were the only thing causing anyone to buy Teslas cars, and they proclaimed that Tesla's sales would grind to a halt once tax credits ran out. Well, they ended mid 2019, and...sales never showed a blip. So no, rebates or credits don't seem to have much impact on their demand.

maybe.. do you have any numbers to back that up though?

Even with a simple search dating back to the bail out period you'll start to see the numbers to quickly paint the picture to drive the point home. It gets tricky and you'll have to pay close attention to what was allocated with the bail out funds vs aid/loans. It's easy to see how much money Ford received even dating back over a decade ago and to be fair GM and Chrysler got a lot of money as well. Basically the big three.

Then there's the recent so called $10 Billion Dollar "loan" that Ford received on a silver platter that most know that they can't pay back.

So back to the original point, is there a need to really say more? The bigger question here is, how many times did Tesla get bailed out or granted a "loan" that was worth $10B that they promise to pay back with what appears to be an unlimited amount of "get out of jail" for free cards that Ford seems to have in their back pocket?

Reactions: gt2690b
Building fueling stations for EV's the same as for gas pumps is the right move IMO. They should be like a WAWA, with clean bathrooms, good food options, and maybe some places to sit. After all, you'll be there quite a bit longer. Pull through stations takes care of the towing issue. Ideally, existing gas stations such as WAWA should add some DC chargers so they can service both. That right there would resolve the charging issue. There are some stations like that already.

I agree. If the existing gas stations (those that currently aren't) were smart they would start offering charging stations and reap the benefit of the extra foot traffic to sell them goodies. Gas stations themselves don't really make much on gas as it is literally cents above their cost. The real revenue is in selling the goodies so setting up some charging stations, although not a huge revenue generator like petrol itself for the store owner, could benefit them in their existing model on which they rely on selling Twinkies and a Big Gulp fountain drinks etc...

However, as logical as things like this sound it all goes back to that conflict of interest with the Big Petrol companies to offer something like this. Great for the store owner, yet contradicting for the oil companies.

Even with a simple search dating back to the bail out period you'll start to see the numbers to quickly paint the picture to drive the point home. It gets tricky and you'll have to pay close attention to what was allocated with the bail out funds vs aid/loans. It's easy to see how much money Ford received even dating back over a decade ago and to be fair GM and Chrysler got a lot of money as well. Basically the big three.

Then there's the recent so called $10 Billion Dollar "loan" that Ford received on a silver platter that most know that they can't pay back.

So back to the original point, is there a need to really say more? The bigger question here is, how many times did Tesla get bailed out or granted a "loan" that was worth $10B that they promise to pay back with what appears to be an unlimited amount of "get out of jail" for free cards that Ford seems to have in their back pocket?
i was actually not aware of the recent 10B loan to Ford for batteries that is pretty nuts

still hard to claim Tesla does not get any windfall either though

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's "common knowledge"? Tesla changes prices pretty drastically on their cars many times a year. It would be hard to correlate that to a tax credit implementation that happens less than once per year.

And as far as it affecting demand, we saw that disproven years ago. People kept making that claim that tax credits were the only thing causing anyone to buy Teslas cars, and they proclaimed that Tesla's sales would grind to a halt once tax credits ran out. Well, they ended mid 2019, and...sales never showed a blip. So no, rebates or credits don't seem to have much impact on their demand.
Like I said the credits mattered to me and I doubt I'm the only one

I wonder if they'll be smart enough to make the charging process as slam dunk easy as it is at superchargers.

From the initial reports that I've read so far, they plan to make it seamless with the in car app integration etc., all the while adding a feature where you can reserve your spot before you get to the destination.

I assume they'll control a bunch of false positives with people reserving a spot and never showing up by adding a healthy fee to those that cancel. Otherwise it would get annoying with a bunch of "maybe RSVPs." (Similar to our idle fee, but I'm all for making it a lot more potent to keep things under control.)

My only gripe with all of this is even having CCS offerings in the equation. I know I know, their network is for everyone, but gosh get rid of CCS please and forever at least here in NA.

It's expected to see the first batch of chargers from the Big 7 as early as 2024, which is just right around the corner.