Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60D that can be upgraded to a 75D. Called the service center at Toronto Lawrence who was aware of this new performance bulletin. They said after running my VIN, 195XXX, through their system I'm not eligible. I asked if I upgraded to a 75D, will that grant me eligibility but he said he can't say for sure and directed me to corporate. Anyone in the same boat can confirm and have been told the same? There are examples of 75D, upgraded from 60D, that has been uncorked in previous posts.
this too is my question. A 60d 3/2017 build may not be eligible but why not?? A 75d made at same date is simply an upgraded 60d i thought software wise??? So my guess is that they want you to spend 2k more to update to a 75d and THEN you will be eligible?? Thats silly but apart from unlocking the full battery is there other differences if the build date is the same? to make it ineligible??

That is consistent with my assumption. They only run the VIN to see if it's eligible and can't guarantee you that by upgrading to 75 you will be eligible as they need to query the database again. However, who knows how often the database is updated? Is it instant? Or is it ever updated again after upgrading to the 75? It's also possible the VIN database is frozen and does not take account for upgraded 75D post-database creation. We probably need more clarification from corporate.

This post is interesting though:
0 to 60 uncork
odd because some 75d from dec 2016 have been eligible yet 60d from 3 or 4/17 are not eligible? Seems like they want you to spend 2k to update to a 75d before they will allow you to get the uncorking.

odd because some 75d from dec 2016 have been eligible yet 60d from 3 or 4/17 are not eligible? Seems like they want you to spend 2k to update to a 75d before they will allow you to get the uncorking.
Very possible. Also from reading the Model S thread someone was told the fuse inside the battery could also determine eligibility as some cars were built with the “bigger” fuse while others not (randomly), but that could be a Model s thing.

• Informative
Reactions: dpskipper
May 2017 production. Told by SC this morning that’s I’m not eligible. They were still saying any car before 7/1 doesn’t have the proper hardware so I’m hopeful they are just not yet informed.

I called Tesla Support and they told me they will have “the diagnostics team check the VIN and get back to me on whether it’s eliginle or not”.

Not sure what this means but I’m still holding out hope!
They are definitely not informed

My X75D is eligible, June 2017 delivery

Reactions: fasteddie7
Ok- I stand corrected. I just called the Tyson Corner Tesla, VA -(703) 749-1203 (I'm in Bellevue, WA, for gosh sake), and the service guy said that my car is eligible to be uncorked. Either he's making a lot of folks really happy (and then sad) or the information really isn't consistent across service centers. The one I originally called was the Bellevue, WA service center.

OK- if it's true- I'm happy camper... and my wife is now rolling her eyes at me... :rolleyes:

I called my local Tesla Service center (Bellevue, WA) today, and - NOW they're telling me that my car qualifies. Apparently they've been getting a crazy number of calls (from passionate, almost rabid customers- go figure) trying to find out if their car can be upgraded. They also told me that due to the volume of appointments, that they can't offer a loaner for the 1hr firmware drivetrain update. At this point- I'm OK with that. Appointments are hard to come by- but- considering I literally took my MS in on Friday for my 1 year, she was able to squeeze me in for this Thursday afternoon. Once I get uncorked I'll report back.

And DAMN- I WANT a RED "P" for my car too. that is just AWESOME!!

Before:
IMG_0527.PNG
After:
IMG_0580.PNG

Attachments

• RunLog 20171023 183035.zip
    540 bytes · Views: 44
Just got my car back from SC. The uncorking speed is incredible. I am a Dec build 174 VIN.

Me too (dec 1742xx). I remember looking at that damn order spreadsheet and being jealous of everyone's car being built before mine. :D

I have an appt for Nov 2. Doing my 1 year service and getting car uncorked. I don't have any run logs so I hope it will be as noticeable as reported.

Just went for another drive to put the car through it's paces. I want to re-iterate for everyone that is waiting for the update, it is extremely noticeable and very vast. I'm in complete shock how much 1s off the 0-60 time feels. It's a brand new driving experience. I haven't driven a 90D for about 2 years, but the car now feels similar to that, if not faster than I remember.

You can also notice substantially more torque being available up to approximately 70 mph. Past about 70, there is definitely more torque than before, but not much. I was surprised how much of a different experience passing on the freeway was with just a bit more acceleration.

Want to hear other opinions after more have had the chance to get uncorked.

Followed this thread since day 1. Mar 2017 build, VIN 189XXX. Called SC in San Francisco today and they said they haven't heard anything official about this yet and that they have been getting calls from owners who saw it on "the forum." I even mentioned he could look it up in the WARP tool and he said that unless I have an official email or notice from Tesla, they haven't heard anything. Frustrating.

Recap of what we (mostly) know so far:
  • All ranges of VINs from the earliest 75D builds (May 2016 to June 2017) are eligible for uncorking (though not all cars are eligible)
  • A small number of cars (VIN range unclear) are ineligible for uncorking due to a missing high voltage fuse in the battery pack (early data shows this may be a small amount of factory delivered 60D's)
  • Some cars that have been upgraded from 60D -> 75D have been successfully uncorked
  • As of now 60Ds show up in the WARP database as ineligible, it is currently unclear if upgrading to 75D will unlock eligibility
  • Some SC are still unaware of the service bulletin that came out last Thursday, however during service the bulletin is listed with your service ticket if your VIN is eligible
  • Some SCs will let you come in just for uncorking, some will require you to make a legitimate appointment for something else before performing the upgrade
  • Uncorking delivers the same (or slightly better) performance as new 75D's rolling off the line currently per Krash's data
  • Both Model S and Model X have eligible VINs that can be upgraded
  • 60/75s non-dual motors that were built before 6/19 are not eligible for uncorking at this time

Speed Increase

• Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds

Rumors

Last edited: