Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Lost or Degraded Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious: does anyone who's gotten 8.0 actually like the new "modern" media player?

I do actually like the flat black/white style. I think it looks clean and modern. The tabs at the top make it much easier to browse the different sources though I wish they hadn't used that as an excuse to take away the scroll wheel controls. The new visual aspect of slacker browsing looks nice, but probably isn't as efficient as the previous nested lists, so a wash overall. Honestly, if they add back in the quick scroll letters and track numbers for USB, I would be okay.

I assume the answer is that they need this for the Model 3 whose screen is smaller, and they're softening everyone up to it now.

Totally agree though - it's beyond insulting that 4 years in the satnav is so lacking in basic features.

I bought a Model S, not a Model 3. I paid a lot of money to have a 17" screen, so for Tesla to "dumb it down" as if it were a 15" screen is removing value from my vehicle. I don't appreciate that, and am quite pissed if true.

Just updated to 8.0 and I'm sorry that I did. This new UI is a mess. There are no visual indicators of what is a button and what is not. How do I know what is informational and what is actionable? The navigation history popup is now needlessly small and cluttered whereas before it used more screen real estate and was far more readable and pleasing. The little maximize icon in the lower left hand corner of the navigation app no longer has any shading underneath it, so it completely blends with the map lines beneath it. The media app looks like a disaster. The battery charge slider is now much smaller than it used to be, and again, no visual indicator that the little white triangle is actually an actionable slider. It seems almost grotesquely small compared to the way it used to be. Why make it smaller when we have so much screen real estate to make things bigger and more readable? After all, it's a 17" screen that should make things easy for us to read and touch while driving to minimize distraction.

The best version of the UI, in my opinion, was 6.X. It just made sense and was obviously designed with an eye towards usability and visibility. Now we have 8.0 which feels like nothing more than change for change's sake. From this driver's perspective, version 8.0 is a step BACKWARDS in usability, therefore, should not have been implemented in its current form. I get the impression that there is no real, experienced UI team at Tesla. The 6.X UI was apparently designed by someone else who is no longer with Tesla, someone with a lot more experience designing interfaces.

I couldn't possibly disagree with your assessment more than I already do... For quite awhile now all you've done is complain and whine about anything and everything Tesla does, and it's really getting a bit old. Your complaints are hilariously petty. 6.X was awful in so many ways it's a little surprising there are some who still hold onto it like "the good old days"...

The 8.0 UI is fine, you're just going to complain for the sake of complaining regardless of what Tesla does or does not do. I don't have any of the UI complaints you do, perhaps you should have your eyes checked?

Now, with regards to features and functionality. I 100% agree that the NAV is still lacking features that it simply shouldn't be lacking at this point, and the new media player was written in a way that clearly disregards users with very large USB music catalogs. I expect Tesla will fix the media player gaffs with regards to loosing the ability to browse your catalog alphabetically, and other not so friendly USB music catalog feature disruptions. That being said, it also wouldn't surprise me if Tesla said "the future is streaming and we're moving the software towards that"...

Oh and Tesla is it REALLY so hard to show me my current HVAC operational status like it used to be in 6.X???... See, even I miss something from the past...

Jeff

I bought a Model S, not a Model 3. I paid a lot of money to have a 17" screen, so for Tesla to "dumb it down" as if it were a 15" screen is removing value from my vehicle. I don't appreciate that, and am quite pissed if true.

You really should just relax... Whether or not this is true, it's really quite irrelevant. The new full screen maps view is really stunning and certainly leverages every pixel of that 17" display...

Jeff

Where is the fricken cassette player? I thought that would be included in this so called update...100k car and no cassette player ...unbelievable

You jest, but at least there was no cassette player when you bought the car, versus having functionality taken away from you in v8 that was there when you bought the car.

I do agree...having the car not speed up after slowing for a lower speed limit and not having the right scroll include audio choice will be missed

For me, the biggest one is losing the ability to use recirc on the HVAC at a fan speed of 3, which is what I use 75+% of the time. The deficiencies in USB are up there, but the HVAC bothers me more.

In addition to losing media source on the right scroll wheel, now when opening some apps, it automatically goes to the lower half of the screen instead of always going to the upper half like before.

I like to keep the rear view camera on the bottom half at all times, and to use the top half for map/music/browser. But now in 8.0 when I open the music app, for example, it automatically opens at the bottom half. It's annoying to have to hold the app button down to assign it to the top half.

Press and hold the charging entry you want to delete and a X will appear. Tap the X.

Really? I must be doing something wrong. I'm talking about deleting an entry from the list of visited chargers thag you get when you click on the charger icon on the nav screen.

Are you tapping on the address, the pin next to it, or the pin for he charger on the map?

I quickly rtfmed and didn't see anything relevant.

Bruce.

http://gizmodo.com/any-technology-whose-manual-needs-a-manual-is-bad-techn-1545358234

And xkcd:
manuals.png

Really? I must be doing something wrong. I'm talking about deleting an entry from the list of visited chargers thag you get when you click on the charger icon on the nav screen.

Are you tapping on the address, the pin next to it, or the pin for he charger on the map?

I quickly rtfmed and didn't see anything relevant.

Bruce.
I'm pressing on the address text in the list of recent chargers visited.

After a lifetime of owning very expensive (both to own and maintain) Mercedes vehicles, I am blown away that I now own a vehicle that can be updated for free while it is parked in my garage. Thus the latest tech from the manufacturer can be mine without expending time or money.That is mindblowing!!! Will every update satisfy every Tesla owner? highly unlikely. Are major "glitches" addressed in subsequent updates? so I have heard and until I experience otherwise myself, so I will trust.
I can't remember enjoying a car so much or actually looking forward to my 70 mile roundtrip commute!

I guess this can go here. I skimmed the manual, didn't see it (maybe it's in there). But I was pissed off for about 10 minutes of my drive yesterday. I thought they removed the "Trips" button from the Google Map. They did in fact remove it. But now, to see the whole trip planned, you need to keep clicking on the compass.

So, phew, the functionality is still there.