Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Devils advocate: higher voltage, both top as well as for any SOC?

Don't claim to be a battery expert, but both packs will experience an equivalent voltage drop under heavy acceleration and also the cells would "tire" just as easily. Folks who have driven the P90D note that it is able to pull quite a bit more on the 1/4 mile indicating that the cells sustain higher output for longer periods. The only way I see this happening is with different cell specs.

Don't claim to be a battery expert, but both packs will experience an equivalent voltage drop under heavy acceleration and also the cells would "tire" just as easily. Folks who have driven the P90D note that it is able to pull quite a bit more on the 1/4 mile indicating that the cells sustain higher output for longer periods. The only way I see this happening is with different cell specs.

You're likely correct. A change in the BMS behavior could like not have this effect? I mean on full throttle I'd suppose the cells all just "open the floodgates 100%" and let the drive train draw whatever amps it can right?

Hi
I'm the OP of this thread, and I'd like to pass on some news.
Last week I hit a new 90% low of 249 miles.
My car is now in the shop for this matter.
I'll post again as soon as I have news.
Ron

Can you monitor it with the app? Service are usually quick now to turn off remote access but you never know. If you can access it, please let us know the battery charge level.

My guess would be that SvC will report that everything is operating "in spec" and will reset the range algo. This will provide a temporary fix until the software engineers in Fremont finally get around to fine tuning the BMS for the 90 kWh. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

There are time slips showing a P90D (not Ludicrous) with better trap times and speeds than the P85D?????? I didn't realize that.

- - - Updated - - -

If it was just software then P85DL performance would equal P90DL performance, but this is not the case.

There are no P85DLs yet so nobody can really say for sure even if Tesla is claiming the performance won't be equivalent. They could just be hedging.

My guess would be that SvC will report that everything is operating "in spec" and will reset the range algo. This will provide a temporary fix until the software engineers in Fremont finally get around to fine tuning the BMS for the 90 kWh. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

You are correct. They think the battery is just settling, that to keep monitoring the range and let them know if it keeps dropping.
I will post again in about a week with my range.

So here is a question for the group! I am experiencing same as original poster but I started much lower. P90D delivered September 29th with 90% charge of 241. I am at 235 in a month. Still, I started much lower than these other P90D owners. Anybody know what the acceptable variation is and whether I should have had another 10 or 11 miles of rated range to start? Live in Chicago and drive very few miles. Some days zero, some days 30. Done one supercharge and one charge to 95% for road trip. Any thoughts? Should I call service? Never really thought about it until I was all the posts with 85 owners with similar range as me and 90s with higher range. Thanks!

Thought I would update. Hit a new low of 233 this week so I decided to call service. They "downloaded some data on my battery performance" (whatever that means) and said that it is operating totally within spec. They also said that (1) rated range IS affected by temperature and as it is getting colder in Chicago that can impact rated range (I know others have said rated range is not impacted by temperature - anyone know who is right?), (2) the algorithm was updated in 7.0 and that has had this impact of reducing rated range on other cars too and (3) the algorithm gets funky after some time without a long drive which I have not had in Chicago in a while. Going to keep watching this but it is likely to get much colder in Chicago soon so we will have to see how this progresses. Hope this helps the discussion.

When it gets colder, less energy can be extracted from the cells. Hence, rated range *is* impacted to some extent by temps. However, when this is the case, the range display should show the snowflake with an estimate of how much is being lost. Additionally, pre conditioning the car should cause all of this range to return even when cold.

Perhaps you folks may want to create a google docs spreadsheet to keep track? Identify your data by Username?

Great idea! [I'm catching up just now on this thread - thanks to @msnow for pointing me to it from the Firmware 7.0 thread where I posted about my sudden drop in rated range Firmware 7.0 - Page 122 (post #1212)]

I had actually put together a Google doc a while back after starting a thread on the subject of declining rate range, but no one had taken me up on it so I haven't updated it in a while.

How about starting now? If you don't feel comfortable sharing your data, you can make up a username or something to make it anonymous:

Telsa Model S Range - Google Sheets

Last edited:
Thought I would update. Hit a new low of 233 this week so I decided to call service. They "downloaded some data on my battery performance" (whatever that means) and said that it is operating totally within spec. They also said that (1) rated range IS affected by temperature and as it is getting colder in Chicago that can impact rated range (I know others have said rated range is not impacted by temperature - anyone know who is right?), (2) the algorithm was updated in 7.0 and that has had this impact of reducing rated range on other cars too and (3) the algorithm gets funky after some time without a long drive which I have not had in Chicago in a while. Going to keep watching this but it is likely to get much colder in Chicago soon so we will have to see how this progresses. Hope this helps the discussion.

The rated range and ideal range are not effected by external factors. The "Estimated" range is effected by driving patterns and maybe temperature. You can "Estimated" through the REST api through apps like Visible Tesla.

The range you actually get will be effected a lot by temperature which will show up increasing wh / mile.

My 90% of 226 on my P85D has not changed from 100 degrees down to 55 degrees over the last several months.

Can you try charging up to 95% and leave it overnight? The bleeders should balance the cells at anything over 93%. If it's a balancing issue, the rated range should go up after sitting for hours above 93%. I don't recommend 100% because it's not good for the battery to leave it like that for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I just realized you have 21" wheels which Tesla states drops range by 3%. So if you have a P90DL that would be 253(P85D) + 6% but then subtract 3% for your wheels which means you should be at 234 rated for your P90DL at 90%. The estimate includes 21" wheels as the car knows which wheels are installed.

What were you getting originally?

Last edited:
OK, I just realized you have 21" wheels which Tesla states drops range by 6%. So if you have a P90DL that would be 253(P85D) + 6% but then subtract 6% for your wheels which means you should be at 227 rated for your P85DL at 90%.

Where did you get this 6% figure for the drop in range when going from 19" to 21" wheels?
Per a screenshot I took of Tesla's website a while back, the drop is about 3% (250 to 242):

Range as of 2014-12-07.png

What were you getting originally?

First, thanks for all the feedback. I was getting 241 originally for about two days and then the creep down began...240, 238, 236, 235, etc. Brought the car home on September 29th. We are at November 11th and down to 233 or 8 miles of rated range loss. Losing just under 2 miles a week. I have charged to 95% maybe three weeks ago. Has not impacted the decline. Went right back to the decline of 1-2 miles per week.

So at new the car did show 241 at 90% which is exactly what I expected - 241 (253*1.06=268 *.9=241). That's 253 for P85D plus the 6% minus the 10% for the 90% state of charge. That is exactly what the car was delivered with before the decline started. I understand your point completely about 3% for the 21s so that would take me to 234 exactly. So in theory, if the car stops declining here than that is just the algorithm figuring out that I have 21s on the car. I would be surprised if it actually works that way but would be pretty cool if it does and if the decline actually stops at 233.

Second, it is pretty disappointing that I had two people from the Tesla service team tell me that temperature impacts rate range when you guys are saying that is just wrong. I was aware that weather impacts estimated range in the app based on Wh usage/mile.

i will update if the decline continues from here. Again, thanks for all the insight. I will be sure to call my service rep back and explain to them that rated range is not adjusted for weather. :)

Skinny:
I have seen about 5 P90DL's in the delivery bay at my local SC. Each was displaying between 240 and 242 miles of rated range at 90% with 241 being the most common display. So you were right in there as a "normal" starting point of rated range.

Next... what is your typical State of Charge (SOC) each day when you recharge? Are you or have you gotten down into the lower end of rated range? I know for my typical driving style, I will put on about 45 miles per day. To that end, I will probably charge to 70% when I get my P90DL. I have read here on TMC that the rated range algorithm is most accurate when you go from a high SOC to a low SOC and then recharge back up.

Regarding Rated Range, clearly a White Paper from Tesla Engineering would be of great value to all, but alas it is not available, yet. In the future, when Tesla service informs you of information, (such as rated range being impacted by temperature), well I would ask that person(s) exactly where did they obtain that knowledge, and can you have access to that information. In the spirit of learning and knowledge, of course.

Enjoy your P90DL, I have test driven two and it is a thrill.

Last edited:
Great idea! [I'm catching up just now on this thread - thanks to @msnow for pointing me to it from the Firmware 7.0 thread where I posted about my sudden drop in rated range Firmware 7.0 - Page 122 (post #1212)]

I had actually put together a Google doc a while back after starting a thread on the subject of declining rate range, but no one had taken me up on it so I haven't updated it in a while.

How about starting now? If you don't feel comfortable sharing your data, you can make up a username or something to make it anonymous:

Telsa Model S Range - Google Sheets

I'm in although I don't have a lot of the historical data like you have. It's mostly in my head. Hopefully it can be simplified somewhat like ArtInCt's spreadsheet upthread.

Update on my range loss...90% seems to have stabilized at 252/253 a loss of about 5/6 miles from day 1 (9/15/15). I had been losing about 1 mile per week.

I'm in although I don't have a lot of the historical data like you have. It's mostly in my head. Hopefully it can be simplified somewhat like ArtInCt's spreadsheet upthread.

Update on my range loss...90% seems to have stabilized at 252/253 a loss of about 5/6 miles from day 1 (9/15/15). I had been losing about 1 mile per week.

Thanks! Some data is better than none..

I've been thinking a little bit about this recent rated range drop, and had a thought while taking a shower this morning. It's somewhat playing devil's advocate, but please hear (or read) me out of a minute:

I know that *historically* the rated range has NOT been impacted by ambient temperature. HOWEVER seeing that the weather HAS gotten colder, and in my personal experience over the last couple of weeks it's been in the low-mid teens in ºC (50's in ºF) whereas it's been in the 20's ºC (70's ºF) before, AND that most of us are now on some version of Firmware 7.0 - could it be that Tesla has updated the displayed rated range algorithm to now take into account recent ambient temperatures??

Thanks! Some data is better than none..

I've been thinking a little bit about this recent rated range drop, and had a thought while taking a shower this morning. It's somewhat playing devil's advocate, but please hear (or read) me out of a minute:

I know that *historically* the rated range has NOT been impacted by ambient temperature. HOWEVER seeing that the weather HAS gotten colder, and in my personal experience over the last couple of weeks it's been in the low-mid teens in ºC (50's in ºF) whereas it's been in the 20's ºC (70's ºF) before, AND that most of us are now on some version of Firmware 7.0 - could it be that Tesla has updated the displayed rated range algorithm to now take into account recent ambient temperatures??

If that's the case, when I wake up in the morning and my car shows me a rated range of X miles when it's 46F, and the next morning when it's 70F I should have X+Y miles showing as my rated range. This does not happen on my car, and we did have extreme temp swings last week, so I do not think there was an update to include ambient temperature.

<--- don't have a 90D, but I would assume the same logic would apply across the fleet.

MAX*, the 90's have a totally different traction pack called the Flexpack (there is a thread that shows the 90 part number and a part's list which gives it that name). The 90D and P90D and P90DL (and possibly even the X 90's) each have the same pack part number. It is possible that this new traction pack or battery management system differs from the 85 packs in form and perhaps even features. Of course we do not know this to be a fact.