Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Will 5-seat A/C cooling be as effective in high heat (> 95 F) as the 6&7 seat config?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that the existence of a second air conditioning system in the 6 and 7 seat configuratins is a myth.

There are additional air vents for the way back seats, but no additional compressor or heat pump. Don't even think there are additional fans installed...just vents.

That's just rubbish, I often sit in the back of our 6 seater with my daughter when charging/stopped for a break on a road trip.

The difference in temp/cabin feel in the back with the rear aircon/fan on/off is massive in both winter and summer. Operation of the rear fans is 100% independent of the front, you have the rear on full blast and the front fans off at the same time.

Reactions: Roamer
There are additional air vents for the way back seats, but no additional compressor or heat pump. Don't even think there are additional fans installed...just vents.

So I did some searching on the Parts Catalog because I was curious and didn't really want to rip apart my Model X.

Looks like there is only one A/C compressor no matter if you have rear A/C or not. There is, however, a different part number for the compressor. It looks like the compressor is larger if you have rear A/C judging by EBay pictures.

heater.PNG

We can also see there is indeed a front (left side) and rear (right side) assembly with independant fans and heaters.

rhvac.PNG

And here we can see the HVAC lines. I can't find the rear evaporator, but seeing as we're running R134A high and low pressure lines to the back (Rocker to Rear HVAC is the name of that part 7) there's certainly an evaporator back there somewhere that we're using to cool.

So yeah long story short, 6 and 7 seater Model X do indeed have a mostly separate front and rear A/C system with the only real shared part being the compressor. The compressor appears to be larger (or at very least different) for models with rear A/C.

rhvac2.PNG

I'm not sure what the difference between the -00- and -99- parts are however.

Some of the explanations I see posted are like saying there are no dual motor cars because there is only one battery.

Front and rear HVAC work the same. One central compressor with dual air handlers. Each air handler has independent control, an evaporator coil, fan, ducting and heat elements.

So back to my current question.

Do current production five seat, flat fold, Model X cars now ship with the front and rear AC system?

The order page no longer has a footnote on the six and seven seat configuration indicating a dual system is included with that seating arrangement.

Reactions: Big Earl
Some of the explanations I see posted are like saying there are no dual motor cars because there is only one battery.

Front and rear HVAC work the same. One central compressor with dual air handlers. Each air handler has independent control, an evaporator coil, fan, ducting and heat elements.

So back to my current question.

Do current production five seat, flat fold, Model X cars now ship with the front and rear AC system?

The order page no longer has a footnote on the six and seven seat configuration indicating a dual system is included with that seating arrangement.

This is a really important question. Has it been answered? Anybody that has a new 5 seater Raven X able to answer the question

i have a december 2017 X 5 seater. today it was 98F sunny so i tested the rear AC while supercharging for an hour.

it was perfectly acceptable and even got a little chilly when i pushed it down to 65F while sitting in the rear seats. the airflow from the center armrest console is much stronger than the side vents on the door frames but they do still put out some air. easier to feel above fan setting 6. the rear cargo hatch was still much warmer even with the microdot sunshade installed as there are no working vents back there and constant sunlight heat from the glass hatch. i would guess 85F.

make sure the vent slots are in the open position. during daytime it is easy to see but at night you can't and people can mistakenly close them trying to angle them since the 1 control does the angle as well as complete closure.

Not sure why it is so hard to get an answer on the flat fold five seat AC system for the new X going into production.

I have a new three motor plaid update X on order and ended up ordering a seven seat because literally no one anywhere at Tesla can answer a simple question about dual AC on the new Model X flat fold.

We currently have a six seat and seven seat with the dual AC. When flat fold came out I ordered a five seat. I missed the fine print that indicated the five seat didn't have the dual system. The X without the dual system just can't keep up with Arizona summers.

Has anyone figured out what the AC configuration is on the Plaid flat fold five. The no dual AC system foot note isn't on the current configurator. But getting burned once I would like a believable answer from a knowledgeable person.