Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A thread for people with no problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are problems and then there are PROBLEMS....

^^This

A problem is something that malfunctions but is addressed in a timely manner by the service center.
A PROBLEM is something malfunctioning and the service center NOT taking care of in a timely manner.

Two Tesla's, 80k miles combined. We've had problems. Dead 12V batteries, inoperable door handles, latch malfunctions, A/C malfunctions, motor replacement, front suspension component replacement, bumper cover replacement (after service center mechanic backed into car). Probably missing one or two other little things.

Everyone of these has been taken care of by the SC in a timely manner. Some proactively during routine service.

My point...even the original poster (despite the title of the thread) has had problems. But as long as they are not PROBLEMS that's ok.

(Thanks to @Struja)

Reactions: arcus
We have had our MX75D for 9 months and 9k miles. It took us through a hard winter without snow tires, and occasionally pulls my neighbor's small utility trailer for hauling smelly, dirty or large objects. If you buy a Model X I strongly recommend the towing package, which is also available as a aftermarket accessory.

We just made a trip from Idaho to Colorado and back. We have made this trip many times in the past but this is the first time in a Tesla. Traveling by Tesla is different, but pleasant in a genteel way--we either take a walk, stop for a meal or read a book when we charge. We are semi-retired and I am an engineer. We aren't rich, but we don't want a second house or a horribly depreciating motor home--we'd rather stay in a quiet motel and let somebody else do the cleaning. So Tesla is our RV and primary mode of transportation, in addition to being the biggest splurge of our lives. It's better than acceptable in both categories. My wife went from a skeptic to an enthusiastic supporter. (see final paragraph) The reduced carbon footprint is an additional, and definitely not a negligible bonus.

It's a world of real, not ideal choices. I learned that a long time ago. If you expect ideal results you will live an unhappy life. Reviewers tend to be outliers in both directions, but in Tesla's case they tend to be biased toward the negative side. They seem often motivated by either confirmation bias or buyer's remorse and so I filter out the emotional content. If you look for it there is useful information in most posts. I read the forums for information, not confirmation of my feelings about the decision.

As Elon says, nothing is perfect, but we have only had problems, not PROBLEMS. (Screw in tire, etc) Our service tech is a gem, but we hardly ever see him-- so far just little things like a lost cosmetic lug nut cap, cheerfully delivered to our home. Tesla has treated us better than fairly, omitting the usual occasional bureaucratic snafu.

If I had it to do over again I would have ordered the X with a 100 kWh battery. The largest battery when we bought the car was 90 kWh, and I still think the difference between 75 and 90 is not large enough to justify its additional cost. In engineering terms, the cost benefit curve is not a straight line. In the meantime the increased number of superchargers has alleviated that problem.

Put me in the very satisfied, would-do-it-again column. I consider myself objective enough and have owned the car long enough that I'm not primarily motivated by either buyer's remorse or confirmation bias.

While in Denver we picked out a red Model S for my wife. That's our conclusion, and our vote regarding Tesla as a real world choice.

I think I have both extremes. 2014 S85: Replaced A/C, Steering rack issues, door handles galore, water in tail lights, 12V, spongy brake issue, control arms replaced, drive unit replaced, main battery died and now awaiting a new pack. To be fair, most of the issues happened in the first year and its been very reliable. Never left me stranded until the pack died...in my driveway. A quick call to service and I was in a loaner while they put it on a flatbed.
I love that car so much I bought a 2017 S60D. Since February delivery: Nothing :) feels solid.

Reactions: TLej
I have had my P85 CPO since 2/16, and the only issue has been a 12 volt battery and excessive tire wear (Michelin warranty issue). I now have Pirelli's on the rear with 70K warranty, so should last the life of the car. I love this car beyond words, and will always be a Model S owner.

Reactions: TLej
In 7 years, we had one problem with my Roadster, so I guess that doesn't count.
In 5 years, we have had one problem with my wife's S, so I guess that doesn't count.

I have another Model S, however, that now has 32k miles and no problems with it! So let's count that one.

lovely..just lovely, i was happy..content even. Wife survived scare at hospital (yes fairfax inova you do need to see blood vessels...they do tend to bleed out), friends helped me install a great fireplace insert so I get to be self sufficient in heat this winter, kids still smile when they see me. .....then this dadgum post.

Now I'm not content....

The only equitable solution for ruining my contentment would seem to be, in the interest of solving your terrible S issues, to send me your wife's faulty S and buy her a new Model X tricked out in the latest and best. Your wife will be happy, you'll plug the gap in your tesla lineup, Elon will be happier, and we'll avoid any acrimonious litigation due to you destroying a content man. Oh and this way you don't need to build the dreaded extra garage to get the X. See...win win

Reactions: ChadS
With any complex piece of machinery, there will be the occasional problem. With my computers, I've always bought the highest quality components and built them myself. I have a lot fewer problems than most people, but I've had a few over the last 30 years.

The last car I bought was a 1992 Buick Roadmaster I bought new. I drove that car for 24 years and it was still running great when I sold it. The last time I had the transmission serviced, the guy at the shop was amazed at the condition. He said it still looked new inside, not a single metal flake in the pan when they removed it. And I wasn't the greatest in the world at regular maintenance. I didn't convert the air conditioning from freon until almost 10 years after freon became unavailable. It kept going without any attention.

And that car was in the shop more in its first 16 months than my Model S has been. There were a few minor issues:

1) On delivery there were some small red spots in the paint on the bottom of the frunk lid that needed to be buffed out (the car is pearl white), otherwise it was perfect on delivery. Fit and finish aren't quite what my Buick was, the Model S has some "rough edges". But it's good enough.

2) I got the multipattern seats and they were horrible on my back. My SO had the same problem. I replaced them with next gen and everything has been fine since. That's more a design problem than anything else.

3) My car developed the headlight buzz many early refresh cars had, but that was only heard outside the car and falls into the annoyance category. My Buick had a squeak to the brake pedal that showed up the first summer and was always there in warm weather. The service people were never able to figure out what was causing it in 24 years. That was more annoying than the headlights.

4) I had the brake calipers replaced with the recall and that was done with Ranger service. They never caused any problems though.

5) The grill on one speaker was loose and vibrated with some frequencies.

I had it in for its first service a few weeks back and there were no issues found. Oh and my battery has 0% degradation. It was 268-269 at 90% when new (298 full) and it's still there.

I have mentioned my experiences in quite a few threads here over the last year +. So far I would say my Tesla experience has been better than my Buick experience and I would rate my overall Buick experience as excellent. My Model S has had fewer problems and has made me like driving for the first time in my life. I have thought of getting a license plate frame made that says something like "The Real Fahrvergrugen" (ripping off the VW ads from some years back)