Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you are talking about and I think that was just for the Roadsters. None of that language carried over into the Model S, but I think people just kept thinking that was the case.

I did the factory tour last summer and they guide mentioned the inverters for the P were hand-wound. He quipped it was one of the few things where humans were better than robots.

O

I did the factory tour last summer and they guide mentioned the inverters for the P were hand-wound. He quipped it was one of the few things where humans were better than robots.

O

This doesn't jive. Inverters don't have windings, motors do.

We already know the inverter is different, as Tesla states it. I suspect something was lost in translation, and wouuldn't take it as any evidence that the motor is different.

And, I suspect for the Model S (@6,000+ units/quarter) they aren't "hand-doing" anything they can avoid.

That's what they used to say about the Roadster Sport. Was never clear if it was true or not. I know the battery cables are thicker, and no doubt the inverter is different.

Pretty sure it's just the driver inverter on the S.

As for 'the other letter,' one I haven't seen suggested yet is 'r,' which would give us Sex Dr. The 'r' for roadster - an upgraded battery pack. But this would be mixing model letters with features, as for certain D is not a new model. R could also be for (battery) replacement, but that's stretching it a bit.

I doubt D is a longer wheelbase version for China, that's almost like building a new car. They did say though they'd have reinforced back seats for people who are chauffeured, so it could be a deluxe version.

I'm surprised no one's commented yet on that 'thing' at the top of the image - its definitely round, because of the shading at the edges and looks like something you could have on top of the car for Driver Assist, but if so it would totally spoil the looks. But what is it?

My guess would be that Driver Assist is definitely one of the two though (more likely the something else as giving it a D designation seems overblown) as its supposed to be out before the end of the year and the sensors and software are already in place, etc.

I think "DD" was the double entendre Elon had in mind.

D: AWD model S available immediately.
D: Driver assist features.

But, I HOPE it is a Deluxe trim for the Asia market and others. As others have said, the luxury has been lacking for the price range. All of these things help the gross margin.
The problem is that we know the regular Model S has driver assist features.

D = AWD
Other letter = P, for Performance variant of the above
Something else = Driver assistance features included on all Model S vehicles, effective immediately

I agree with a few of the others here. The above seems more likely in my mind.

That said, a Model S wagon may force me to upgrade. :wink:

I've heard that rumor, but never an authoritative source for it. I've also seen just as many claims that the motor is the same (even folks who have seen motors destined for both models having the same part number).

Tesla doesn't seem to claim it anywhere, yet they do specifically call out "High performance drive inverter" on the ordering page.

Thus I tend to believe that it's only the inverter that's the differentiator, not the motor.

The motor on the Roadster Sport was, I believe, hand wound. Maybe this is the confusion.

I'm baffled as to why people are still making guesses at the "D" part. It's obviously dual motors. That's it. Nothing else.

Also, I don't think the "something else" is Driver Assist. Those are features found on dozens of other high-end (and not so high-end) cars. Announcing that at a big event is like admitting that Tesla is playing "catch up" with all the other car makers who have had lane change warnings, and ACC for YEARS!. Elon wouldn't make a huge announcement over copying what everyone else has been doing for quite some time.

It's also not Automated Driving. Do you guys have any idea how far away we are from that? And not from a technological point of view, but from a regulatory, legislative, and insurance standpoint? Elon already said it's a few years away (I thin he said 3-5 years). He can't even get the Model X rear-view cameras approved yet.. you think Automated Driving is just around the corner?

Finally, if I were Tesla Motors making an AWD Model S, I'd put a much smaller motor to drive the front wheels in situations where it's needed (snow, ice, etc) and have it switchable by the user. In a Model S, one only really needs AWD for better handling in those environments, and a small, torquier motor would do the trick, AND consume much less energy. The idea of a dual-twin motor in the MS pushes it into supercar territory, and while there is a small market for that, I think TM wants to continue to being electric cars to the masses, and they don't do that by making a $200,000 dual-twin AWD motor supercar. They do it by adding a small second motor (driven off the single inverter) and keeping costs and prices as low as possible.

Now for the Model X, that might have dual-twin motors because of the increased weight and for marketing purposes. I'm not even going to guess on that.

I'd guess that the "something else" is slightly higher range (slightly bigger battery, and drop the S60), or maybe the first reveal of what the Model 3 will look like, like they did for the Model X two years ago. Or a better seat retrofit program for the Model S.

Actually I really do think D stands for Drop Top. Two reasons: first, the top is obscured in the picture, and two, Elon has mentioned that we do not know everything that is going on in in "skunkworks" factory. There is no need to do a new reveal for Model S just to say it is now all wheel drive, the car would look exactly the same. I would say that the "other news" is in fact the duel motors. We shall see next week who is right I guess.

Actually I really do think D stands for Drop Top. Two reasons: first, the top is obscured in the picture, and two, Elon has mentioned that we do not know everything that is going on in in "skunkworks" factory. There is no need to do a new reveal for Model S just to say it is now all wheel drive, the car would look exactly the same. I would say that the "other news" is in fact the duel motors. We shall see next week who is right I guess.

... That is exactly what I was going to say D-was.. As in Drop top! a coupe is the something else... Because they wouldn't base a convertible off of a 4 door sedan. I don't expect AWD until the model X debuts or after. (Looking in my crystal ball, I believe the AWD is one of the reasons that the x was delayed in the first place.)

I'm baffled as to why people are still making guesses at the "D" part. It's obviously dual motors. That's it. Nothing else.

Also, I don't think the "something else" is Driver Assist. Those are features found on dozens of other high-end (and not so high-end) cars. Announcing that at a big event is like admitting that Tesla is playing "catch up" with all the other car makers who have had lane change warnings, and ACC for YEARS!. Elon wouldn't make a huge announcement over copying what everyone else has been doing for quite some time.

It's also not Automated Driving. Do you guys have any idea how far away we are from that? And not from a technological point of view, but from a regulatory, legislative, and insurance standpoint? Elon already said it's a few years away (I thin he said 3-5 years). He can't even get the Model X rear-view cameras approved yet.. you think Automated Driving is just around the corner?

Finally, if I were Tesla Motors making an AWD Model S, I'd put a much smaller motor to drive the front wheels in situations where it's needed (snow, ice, etc) and have it switchable by the user. In a Model S, one only really needs AWD for better handling in those environments, and a small, torquier motor would do the trick, AND consume much less energy. The idea of a dual-twin motor in the MS pushes it into supercar territory, and while there is a small market for that, I think TM wants to continue to being electric cars to the masses, and they don't do that by making a $200,000 dual-twin AWD motor supercar. They do it by adding a small second motor (driven off the single inverter) and keeping costs and prices as low as possible.

Now for the Model X, that might have dual-twin motors because of the increased weight and for marketing purposes. I'm not even going to guess on that.

I'd guess that the "something else" is slightly higher range (slightly bigger battery, and drop the S60), or maybe the first reveal of what the Model 3 will look like, like they did for the Model X two years ago. Or a better seat retrofit program for the Model S.

I think the opposite is true. What is the big deal about dual motors. Just say its AWD. I believe it is either the Deluxe version or a Drop Top (way less likely). But I have continuously said give me a 4 door drop top !! Model S is still too big for me. Either make sense with the R&D comments that Elon has made. AWD is a known at this point so what is the R&D we have been missing ?

On the other hand:
- You wouldn't really need to call a convertible the "D": since it's mechanically the same, it'd not chance behavior and just be an option; nobody says droptop.
- I'd reverse it and say that the reason not to show the whole car is that it looks the same; not showing the whole car and instead showing a garage door opening is simply an artistic indication of a reveal; showing the lights hints at something dark and powerful, like a 4WD performance system.
- Tesla may be doing stuff we don't know about, but they're doing stuff we know about.
- In order to have the X they need to have a 4WD system ready anyway so it makes sense that it's coming now rather than earlier..
- The closer they get to the X the more likely for people to wait for the X for 4WD. No 4WD drive on the Model S will delay sales. Tesla will make money not waiting
- 4WD will generate real buzz; convertible will not
- Tesla will need buzz because of disappointing Q3 numbers.