Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to commit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put on a new roof and decided now was the time for a panel setup.

Tesla is offering me an 18.36 kw set up for an net price after incentives of $19.5k.

That price is about $30k lower then everyone else. Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

Also is there anything else I should know about or question?

Welcome. Glad you found this place. There are fewer Tesla sceptics than on that other forum and some people with actual experience dealing with Tesla.
You say that like it’s a good thing. Tesla Energy is significantly worse than Tesla Auto in my experience. Nothing to do with being skeptical. They are just nightmarish to deal with in practice.

Good luck OP, let us know how it goes after you plunk down your deposit.

It seems that way.

The Tesla Energy reviews are pretty scary.

There are people who have had some difficulty with tesla energy, and there are many others who have not. In general, to over simplify, I would recommend keeping the following in mind when dealing with tesla energy:

1. These are construction projects, its not like buying a car. Treat them as such.
2. If your setup will be fairly "standard", tesla can save you a LOT of money usually over other solar companies.
3. Tesla does not, in general, communicate very much during the projects, especially the "office" people.
4. If your setup will not be "standard" or you have particular needs / desires for your setup, tesla is not the best company at dealing with that.
5. In most cases, people are very happy with the actual people who show up to install. There are a few complaints, but most people are happy with the tesla install crew. Conversely, many people are frustrated with the tesla office staff, who process permits, etc. They tend to drag a bit, and dont communicate that well.

They are not as bad as you read online in many places, but I am not going to pretend they are perfect either. Tesla has cut out the middle man, so there is no hand holding, no "explaining" why they are recommending X or Y, etc. You must do all your research yourself. If you are willing to do the research yourself, and what you want falls into what tesla provides, you can save a lot of money.

In most cases, people are very happy with the actual people who show up to install. There are a few complaints, but most people are happy with the tesla install crew. Conversely, many people are frustrated with the tesla office staff, who process permits, etc. They tend to drag a bit, and dont communicate that well.
This is a great summary of my experience.

1. These are construction projects, its not like buying a car. Treat them as such.

I think all of @jjrandorin 's points are good, but this first one was the key for me. I had no experience with major construction or remodeling projects prior to my Tesla solar roof install. I found that talking to others who have done major kitchen remodels, added additions, etc. helped me reset my original unrealistic expectations for a construction project.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
We received our PTO 4 months after I first went online and placed a deposit. As others have mentioned the bac`k office was slow to respond but they got everything done. I will say like ALL construction projects it is important to stay on top of the details. One example is they used the wrong first name for me- I have a first name that can be spelled two ways such as Steven/Stephen. Mine actually changes the overall name somewhat and they wrote the wrong name on the NY battery rebate forms (NYSDRA if memory serves). I caught it before it went out and they said thanks it would have been rejected. I also caught them installing conduit that would not be able to handle the needed wiring (two inverters handled by one 3/4" conduit). The guy was obviously new so I mentioned it to the head guy, he looked, thanked me and they changed it to 3/4" each. They would have figured not out within a few hours but it saved time and energy. No biggie, no one is perfect.

I was amazed at how they stuck to the price from the day I signed online to the day it was finished. A buddy was adamant that's impossible and there would certainly be up-charges. It was to the penny and I asked the head installer about it- he said they almost always are spot on in price. Only when there is a major change needed do they need an up-charge. In my example my 3 Powerwalls would not fit on the wall next to my meter where we originally were installing them. They had to move them 40' away to the other side of the garage wall with all that extra back and forth wiring and conduit/attic work. Not a dime more.

When it came time for building inspections they came a few days after we had 8" of snow. The guy walked out back and said he thought this might happen- he needs to count panels and layout so he would have to come back when they were exposed. I whipped out my phone with pics of it and showed him, he was happy, counted the panels and handed me my pink slip. I've dealt with inspectors on a number of occasions and I have found if you are helpful courteous and make their life easier they hand those slips over with less fuss.

Overall I am very happy with the process- quote, paperwork, install, permits and inspections. But I did not walk into it thinking I was ordering a new car, it's a large construction project and has all of the mechanics to go along with it.

The thing is, tesla tries to make it LOOK like its ordering a car. Its just a few clicks on line to order solar panels / or a solar roof, and powerwalls. You only have to put down a minimal (for the size / scope of the project) deposit.

They present it like its super simple, and it "can" be, but the expectation should be that its like re modeling your kitchen or something. Just like re modeling your kitchen, if you are keeping the cabinet boxes and only refacing the cabinets and painting, and replacing appliances with the same size, in the same location, thats pretty simple.

If you are getting all new cabinets, changing the layout, etc, that is a lot more complicated and may require more oversight and consideration (do we have to cut into the foundation to run new plumbing / electrical? Is the wall we want to remove a load bearing wall? etc etc).

A contractor might have a line item that says "1 kitchen remodel, including appliances and layout, 40,000", but most people would look at that and say "but I need more details than that".

Keeping with the analogy, if someone wants to have a designer layout their kitchen, work with a general contractor / site planner for you, explain everything that is happening, deal with all hiccups, etc, that can happen, but it isnt happening for the same price that it would be if you laid out everything yourself, hired the subs (carpenter, electrician, etc), scheduled it all yourself, and babysat everyone.

That would be cheaper, but more work by you.

To be clear, I am not hating on tesla energy, I had a great experience personally, both with solar city in 2015 and tesla energy installing my powerwalls in jan of 2020. I think its great that they provide a way to get a quality install at lower cost. One just needs to understand that, like others are agreeing with, you have to already know what you want, or have a "fairly simple" as far as solar installs go setup.

If a custom approach is desired, or high touch communication (that kitchen designer), one would have better luck working with an established third party solar company that still has that layer involved.

• Informative
Reactions: Laketime and vickh
4. If your setup will not be "standard" or you have particular needs / desires for your setup, tesla is not the best company at dealing with that.

Yup, this was me. Loved the idea of getting Tesla to do the PV and PWs, but after going weeks and weeks trying to get them to adjust the layout and customize things, it was clear they weren’t the company for me. Still going with PWs in my system, but found a local solar installer who was much more receptive about customizations. No hate towards Tesla here, they are pretty clear about what kind of installs they want to do, and that works for the majority of people, but for people who want something different you probably have to go elsewhere.

If a custom approach is desired, or high touch communication (that kitchen designer), one would have better luck working with an established third party solar company that still has that layer involved.
Although event then it's not a guarantee of outstanding service, and if you're wanting PowerWalls, the pipeline is thin enough that only a Tesla install may be able to get them right now.

I think @jjrandorin comments are spot on. Every construction project has glitches. But based on the price I am assuming the OPs project is solar panels on an existing roof with no Powerwalls. This is a simple project and most people seem to have it done quickly and with good results. Things like lack of clearances, obstructions, and poor roof conditions not seen from the satellite photos can cause glitches. As long as one understands that, it should be a good experience.

I just put on a new roof and decided now was the time for a panel setup.

Tesla is offering me an 18.36 kw set up for an net price after incentives of $19.5k.

That price is about $30k lower then everyone else. Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

Also is there anything else I should know about or question?

What is their quote before incentives because that's way higher than 26%. Their current pre-incentive price is $32,800.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Also too sometimes Tesla outsources to certified installers. Not sure how prevalent that is these days but when I had my solar installed Tesla said they didn't know exactly which company would pick up the install if I went with them. I ended up going with a local company directly who happened to be Tesla certified so they could install my PW as well. YMMV with local installers.

You say that like it’s a good thing. Tesla Energy is significantly worse than Tesla Auto in my experience. Nothing to do with being skeptical. They are just nightmarish to deal with in practice.

Good luck OP, let us know how it goes after you plunk down your deposit.

We’re owners of two Teslas and now a solar/PW system and have been treated well and very happy with all of our equipment. Just another view point from a customer. Our equipment was installed by Tesla teams BTW.

Last edited:
I think all of @jjrandorin 's points are good, but this first one was the key for me. I had no experience with major construction or remodeling projects prior to my Tesla solar roof install. I found that talking to others who have done major kitchen remodels, added additions, etc. helped me reset my original unrealistic expectations for a construction project.

We’ve had several construction projects at our house now. Major kitchen (tear down to framing) and total front/back yard relandscaping with structures and other hardscape including both 120v and low-voltage electrical, gas and water lines. City permits and inspections required for all. Very different from just ordering a car. @jjrandorin ‘s post was spot on I’d say. Solar/PW projects involve contracts (read and understand the terms—Tesla and other installers are pretty much boilerplate for all their customers I would assume), two teams of installers, city and fire authority input on plans, permits and inspections in addition to your utility reviewing and approving everything before you can operate legally. You’ll want to look over your plans — both roof layout and later when you get the job plans with line drawings — and examine them for accuracy against what you are expecting — Just like with any construction job you would hire a licensed and bonded contractor to do.

Delays can and will happen due to material issues, permitting, changes made to the plans, coordinating workers to the site. Even large jobs have issues coordinating different subcontractors no matter how good your general contractor is in managing schedules; and with solar/PW installs you are not their only job being managed at one time. I’ve learned to have a lot of patience during our large construction projects. If not for covid delays and our main service panel needing to be upgraded I think our project here in the bay area, where all work of this type is booked out into the future, we probably had a contract-to-PTO of around 5-6 months. Solar only project have a shorter timeline from what I’ve seen from posts on the forum.

Last edited:
I also agree with @jjrandorin and @SMAlset's comments. You'll have a better alignment of expectations if you recognize your role as project manager; and the people you'll be dealing with are going to be very difficult to get a hold of since they're over-worked and under staffed.

But I would add that I think Solar (and especially Powerwalls) is not like a typical home construction project. In the last 18 months, I've completed a full kitchen remodel, bath remodel, two zone HVAC replacement, and tried to get Solar + ESS.

The kitchen and bath remodel took 10 calendar days (5 planning, 5 working) and was a relative breeze. The people involved had everything lined up; the workers were great, and like zero hiccups after we spent some time pre-planning everything. The only hang-up I had was the fridge was actually taller than we had measured (due to the feet on the bottom not being as adjustable as the manufacturer claimed) and we had to cut a piece of trim.

My HVAC replacement of two condensers, two air handlers, and two evaporators took all of 2 days (1 planning, one working). The crew was amazing; the only problem I had was the contractor swapping out parts for lower-end (lower efficiency) items behind my back.

But Solar and ESS ... this industry is completely BS. For the record I went with Sunrun instead of Tesla. But I suspect the big corporates have similar issues.

The reason solar+ESS is unlike a typical construction project... is it intentionally exposes the worst possible aspect of relevant stakeholders. The only thing I can think of that is worse than this on a residential project would probably be a a full demo/rebuild. It seems like some of the parties involved actually want you to fail; and bring a burden along with it that is mind boggling.

Design is super difficult since every house is different and every jurisdiction is different. Whether it be your gutter flow rate, location of gas riser, having a shear wall, slope of roof, age of underlayment, shingle/tile type, chimney location, skylight setbacks, conduit paths, flashing density, sub panels, generation panels, undersized busbars, NEC 120% rule; above/below ground service blah blah blah. There's a rule and unique AHJ disaster just waiting to screw you up. I don't know how anybody gets anything done.

Permitting and Inspection is borderline impossible with HOAs throwing hissy fits; extra breakers/disconnects everywhere; smart/dumb meters; gaps between equipment; bonding/grounding; fire codes; ladder access; warning labels; line of sight; bollards yuck yuck yuck.

The actual work of the install seems to be the only thing that is straightforward. The people who do this work for a living are typically really good at their jobs, and will make you feel good about what is happening.

But everyone else in the process seems well versed at giving people the run-around, shrugging their shoulders, or otherwise just not responding at all because they're in a back office somewhere and seem to be overworked. Good luck trying to get government incentive paperwork or post-service help like getting your solar array map (per panel location on your roof). And if there's actually an equipment problem that's a pretty hefty delay to get back on people's radar.

I just hope your local utility grants PTO quickly as well. I think the PG&E area is up to 45 days wait for PTO due to their backlog.

Last edited:
Agreed. The process and complexity for the generator, solar, and batteries is not easy!! The number of months it is taking to try and get a county approval for my battery plans is just nuts. Oh well, all good things come in time, or something like that.