Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid the same for my non-P 3D as I could have got a stealth now. Granted the tax credit is way less now, and almost gone. Anyway, that's how tech works. Early pay more so everyone else can pay less. I don't know why everyone has to complain about it.

If you don't like how tech pricing works, I would defiantly recommend canceling your truck order. The same will happen with that.
Because it lowers the value of our cars and increases our debt?

Because it lowers the value of our cars and increases our debt?

That's not how math works at all though, so no.

Someone else getting something doesn't increase how much your debt is on anything.

I get the same thing no upgrades listed at the bottom.

You won't see an "upgrades" if there aren't any for you to buy.

So if you have FSD and premium connectivity- there's nothing to buy.

I paid the same for my non-P 3D as I could have got a stealth now. Granted the tax credit is way less now, and almost gone. Anyway, that's how tech works. Early pay more so everyone else can pay less. I don't know why everyone has to complain about it.

If you don't like how tech pricing works, I would defiantly recommend canceling your truck order. The same will happen with that.
except you can't typically get a stealth now.

That's not how math works at all though, so no.

Someone else getting something doesn't increase how much your debt is on anything.

You won't see an "upgrades" if there aren't any for you to buy.

So if you have FSD and premium connectivity- there's nothing to buy.
Sure it does, devaluing your property increases your debt. If you buy a house for 500k, then the same company decides a year later to just make the price 250k. The new value of your home is 250k you no have significantly more debt because you have devalued your assets. Your now underwater.

Sure it does, devaluing your property increases your debt.

No, it really doesn't. That's not how math works.

If your mortgage is $300,000 then your debt on the house is $300,000.

The amount the house is worth does not change the amount of your debt in any way

Nor does this "devalue your property" on the first place- that's nonsensical.

2018 buyers, with the 5k refund and tax credit, paid almost exactly what current P buyers are being charged.

Sure it does, devaluing your property increases your debt. If you buy a house for 500k, then the same company decides a year later to just make the price 250k. The new value of your home is 250k you no have significantly more debt because you have devalued your assets. Your now underwater.

LOL- I take it you aren't an accountant... Devaluing your property decreases the value of the asset, it has no impact on the amount of debt you owe. In your example you still owe the same amount of debt, you just can cover less of it by selling your asset.

The amount the house is worth does not change the amount of your debt in any way

2018 buyers, with the 5k refund and tax credit, paid almost exactly what current P buyers are being charged.
Neither of those statements are true.

If you owe 300k on your house, but it's worth 300k then you owe 300k but as far as getting a loan in the future you have a 300k asset to sell so you can get a new mortgage.

If you owe 500k on a home worth 250k, things will not go well for you when trying to get your next loan. It essentially adds 250k to the cost of your next home. This is what you call more debt. Same for your car, while it's typically to go underwater for a short time on a new car purchase, esp with little money down, devaluing your car artificially puts you underwater.

My car was 75k before tax, same car is now 60k (if you get a Performance model upgrade for 2k.
thats about 4-5k difference total MSRP after tax credit plus an additional ~6000k less in taxes.

Last edited:

If his house value stays flat, his net debt is $0 (its back by $300k worth of assets). If his house value goes up to $400k, his net debt is $0k as his assets are worth $100k above his note. Conversely if his house is worth $200k, his net debt is $100k. I think this is what he's trying to convey.

This comparison is a bit silly. Real estate is (long term) usually an appreciating asset. Cars are the opposite. If you take on debt to buy a car, you're "underwater" the moment you drive off with it (where it instantly loses somewhere between 10 and 20% of its value).

Neither of those statements are true.

If you owe 300k on your house, but it's worth 300k then you owe 300k but as far as getting a loan in the future you have a 300k asset to sell so you can get a new mortgage.

Uh "changing the value of something I might back an imaginary future loan with" is not an increase to your debt.

You seem really unclear on what the word debt means.

If you owe 500k on a home worth 250k, things will not go well for you when trying to get your next loan.

That depends entirely on a bunch of other factors.

if you have a 5 million a year income it'd be an irrelevant footnote.

What your homes value going down absolutely does not do though is increase the actual debt you owe on the house

Your mortgage amount doesn't change as the homes value changes.

My car was 75k before tax, same car is now 60k (if you get a Performance model upgrade for 2k.

Of course you had the chance for $12,500 in refunds and tax credits someone ordering a P today won't get. And at least $500 in additional HW new cars don't get.

And an entire year of not having to buy gas too- which is at least a 1500-2000 dollar savings for most americans.

So again your math is laughably wrong. And this isn't the first, or tenth, time someone has had to correct you on it.

View attachment 489674
No upgrades option when I click manage on my car. Also none if I click on View Details there. No idea where people are seeing this.
If you have FSD, then they don't display the Upgrades option. If you don't, scroll down from view details and you should see Upgrades next to Accessories and Charging.
upload_2019-12-18_11-1-18.png

• Informative
Reactions: Solmors and tvad
If his house value stays flat, his net debt is $0 (its back by $300k worth of assets). If his house value goes up to $400k, his net debt is $0k as his assets are worth $100k above his note. Conversely if his house is worth $200k, his net debt is $100k. I think this is what he's trying to convey.
Then he is confusing debt with negative equity.

Can we please get back to wild speculation about the acceleration boost?

I hope this includes LR RWD. I have FSD so I can’t see the upgrade page; is anyone with an LR RWD and EAP seeing this in the upgrade page? Furthermore does the source code specify the improvement added (4.9 to 4.5 seconds) like the LR AWD does?