Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost option gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t recall saying a stealth didn’t have the same hardware as a LR AWD

Except you literally said that here-

. Yea, how much more does more power impact warranty cost? You have figures or just making assumptions to justify your opinion? Wrong.

You think running motors at higher power/heat and running batteries at higher draw/heat have no impact on their lifespans?

Where'd you get your EE degree, a cracker jack box?

Except you literally said that here-

You think running motors at higher power/heat and running batteries at higher draw/heat have no impact on their lifespans?

Where'd you get your EE degree, a cracker jack box?

No. I said that a performance doesn’t have the same hardware as a LR AWD. Up u til a month or so ago this was true. Reading comprehension should t be this hard for adults. You act like the car will continuously be running at a significantly higher rate. What is the warranty cost delta then, genius?

No. I said that a performance doesn’t have the same hardware as a LR AWD. Up u til a month or so ago this was true. Reading comprehension should t be this hard for adults. What is the warranty cost delta then, genius?
There is a huge thread where this is shown to not be entirely correct. All 2018 and a lot of 2019 AWD model 3 share the same parts (at least motors, probably inverters) with the performance models. It is why the VIN 8th digit was the same until the 2020 model year came out.

No. I said that a performance doesn’t have the same hardware as a LR AWD.

A P3D- is a Performance.

And up until mid-2019 or so the HW was identical to the LR AWD.

So like I told you 10 posts ago- you're wrong.

Also pretty creepy for noticing I disagreed with your posts in this thread so jumping into 6 others threads you're not even involved with to slap disagrees on other posts of mine.

No
Reading comprehension should t be this hard for adults

It shouldn't and yet you keep failing at it.

Weird.

Yea, they also say I’ll have a range of 320+ miles. That won’t ever happen. And we aren’t talking about hardware we are talking about removing a software block. I “paid for” software bugs too and those are fixed at no cost to consumers. Would you be okay paying for bug fixes?

Bug fixes are one thing, performance upgrades are another. If you paid $50k for a car with a 0-60 of 4.4 and someone else paid $65K for the same car with a 0-60 of 3.2, then why should you get that level of performance for free? Regardless if the improvement comes from HW or SW, it would not be fair for some to pay for it while others get it for free. I get that it's a SW block, but is a block put in place to sell you a car a lower price point. Just like people that bought the $35k model that does not include rear seat warmers, but they have the option to upgrade to that for $300. Using your logic I should be able to buy the $35k model and have all the features of a $50k model (not including AWD of course) for free. Makes no sense.

A P3D- is a Performance.

And up until mid-2019 or so the HW was identical to the LR AWD.

So like I told you 10 posts ago- you're wrong.

Also pretty creepy for noticing I disagreed with your posts in this thread so jumping into 6 others threads you're not even involved with to slap disagrees on other posts of mine.

Weird.

If I was talking about stealths I would have stated such. It was not marketed as a performance until very recently. The hardware wasn’t the same, stop being purposefully dense. Or is it purposeful?

Bug fixes are one thing, performance upgrades are another. If you paid $50k for a car with a 0-60 of 4.4 and someone else paid $65K for the same car with a 0-60 of 3.2, then why should you get that level of performance for free? Regardless if the improvement comes from HW or SW, it would not be fair for some to pay for it while others get it for free. I get that it's a SW block, but is a block put in place to sell you a car a lower price point. Just like people that bought the $35k model that does not include rear seat warmers, but they have the option to upgrade to that for $300. Using your logic I should be able to buy the $35k model and have all the features of a $50k model (not including AWD of course) for free. Makes no sense.

Bug fixes are no different if you are using the logic of “this is what it came with” or this is what you paid for.” I have never had a car that fixed known glitches that didn’t impact safety. And like I’ve stated, there is additional hardware options with the performance. And, as already stated, if margins allowed for a stealth than this is what the $2k should get you. Not halfway there. Fairness? If there are no hardware differences how was it “fair” to sell a stealth?

And calling it a performance upgrade is entirely disingenuous as it is merely lifting a software block. Would you be okay knowing the car could achieve 400 miles of range at the moment you purchased it but Tesla held it back because they could nickel and dime you all the way to 400 miles?

If I was talking about stealths I would have stated such. It was not marketed as a performance until very recently. The hardware wasn’t the same, stop being purposefully dense. Or is it purposeful?
Until the 990 rears the hardware was the same. Now AWD is nerfed with a different rear end where is wasn’t before (it was just a software nerf).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
...Also pretty creepy for noticing I disagreed with your posts in this thread so jumping into 6 others threads you're not even involved with to slap disagrees on other posts of mine.

Weird.
Yea I made a statement relating to the OP and he/she hit Disagree and then went back in other threads and hit Disagree like this one.

Model S Key fob with Model 3

There is a huge thread where this is shown to not be entirely correct. All 2018 and a lot of 2019 AWD model 3 share the same parts (at least motors, probably inverters) with the performance models. It is why the VIN 8th digit was the same until the 2020 model year came out.

I’ve got a 2019 LR AWD, with the -990 motor, and the same 8th VIN digit as any 2019 Performance model. So that’s far from meaningful.

Not you at all @diamond.g, but this “it should be free!!!” is about the stupidest argument I’ve ever heard of.

Just because something is software, doesn’t make it free.

Just because someone wants something, doesn’t make it free.

Just because something CAN do something, doesn’t make it free.

I also love how perception of the -990 motor is “nerfed”.... it’s not “nerfed” - it’s designed to the spec at which it’s sold.

This whole line of thinking is ridiculous.

to be fair, manufacturers do this quite often, though typically through model year improvements. A car could have 300hp in 2018 and then a bump in power to 330hp in 2020, with zero or minimal MSRP increases. Same as options, heated seats could have been a $500 option in 2018, but becomes standard in 2020.

If you think about it, for those of us that bought the LR AWD back in 2018, the MSRP was almost the same as a performance is now.

Tesla also did this with Ludicrous mode or plus or whatever it was called on the S and X. used to be a $10-12k option (I don’t know the exact dollar amount), but now it comes included with the performance versions.

That said, while I don’t agree an acceleration increase to 3.2 sec 0-60 should be expected as free for existing LR AWD owners, I do see Telsa unlocking more power for the LR AWD at some future point “for free”.

I’ve got a 2019 LR AWD, with the -990 motor, and the same 8th VIN digit as any 2019 Performance model. So that’s far from meaningful.

Not you at all @diamond.g, but this “it should be free!!!” is about the stupidest argument I’ve ever heard of.

Just because something is software, doesn’t make it free.

Just because someone wants something, doesn’t make it free.

Just because something CAN do something, doesn’t make it free.

I also love how folks are calling the -990 motor “nerfed”.... it’s not “nerfed” - it’s designed to the spec at which it’s sold.

This whole line of thinking is ridiculous.
Yeah it wasn’t derogatory, it was just saying part of the reason we understand the AWD didn’t get a full performance unlock was because of the 990 motors. Until they existed we were all sure every performance 3 (without PUP) was the same as every AWD. So far we haven’t seen any performance models with the 990 motor, but you never know.

I don’t think a performance unlock should be free. It should be a paid upgrade. The 2k accel boost is a great compromise for all AWD owners considering they could have done nothing at all.

Yeah it wasn’t derogatory, it was just saying part of the reason we understand the AWD didn’t get a full performance unlock was because of the 990 motors. Until they existed we were all sure every performance 3 (without PUP) was the same as every AWD. So far we haven’t seen any performance models with the 990 motor, but you never know.

I don’t think a performance unlock should be free. It should be a paid upgrade. The 2k accel boost is a great compromise for all AWD owners considering they could have done nothing at all.

Absolutely! My point was though, just because it’s an LR AWD with the same VIN digit as a P, doesn’t automatically mean a -980. The egg is sufficiently scrambled such that the VIN is mostly meaningless, except to prove something is a P. It doesn’t tell us squat about the LR AWD config. :)

.. and I agree, just having Boost available is cool. Doesn’t need to exist at all, so it’s great that it does. And even better that Tesla can make a few bucks at it. And for the record, I haven’t bought it. Even for free, it doesn’t mean anything to me. aside from drag racing, the LR AWD has all the acceleration in its native form that I’ll ever need.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White