Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 6 months of loving my car, version 8 makes me want to sell it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI I'm going to unwatch this thread now --- I have no sense that there is anything useful to be gained. If anyone is a moderator and wants to delete the thread, feel free.

Don't take it too hard. Many here agree with you, but it's very difficult for humans to be objective about something like this. There isn't currently any way to return to 7.1, so when there is no 'choice' left to be made, there is tremendous psychological pressure to reinforce your previous decision to update the software.

Until the system is more capable in Tesla or other makers cars, I think they will keep these nag features in place. Even MB and others with rear facing radar and 5 cameras use frequent nags. The system proved unable to keep up with Tesla's aspirations at the time of launch and changes had to be made 7.0->7.1 and now this.

Wow --- you guys are really fanboys....how does anything I've noted related to looking for a fully autonomous car (something I'm not convinced is imminent until they can get much better at anticipating issues)? I'm noting that the auto-steer process (including the new concept of actually disabling it) is not as good as it was on version 7. How do you get from that to "waiting for an autonomous car"? That's Trump-speak nonsense.

So paying attention while driving is a political concept?

So one party endorses driving while playing Pokemon Go, or having drunken sex in the back seat at 85mph unpiloted, while the other party thinks you should drive a hand crank stick shift 1903 Ford. I'll give you hint. Most our federally elected officials gave up driving many years ago. Some have never driven.

But the truth is that DUI is no longer the killer on our roads. It's now distracted driving. Perfectly sober people run into crap at random

And even if YOU don't run into objects at random, you now operate on roads where that behavior is on the rise. How does AP deal with folk running stop signs or swerving into you?

I just drove 1,200 miles on 7.1, then the return trip on 8.0. I do take my hands off the wheel periodically. I really didn't notice much difference in frequency of nags. I'm not sure how one can miss the new halo warning, mine never got to the beep stage, much less the shut down. On AP, I frequently glance at the driver display to make sure it's reading lane lines clearly, so I know if I should keep my hands on the wheel 100%, or proactively take over steering until I'm on better marked pavement.

I didn't listen to any music or radio the entire trip, so I can't speak to media changes. All other changes were fine for me; I love how these big software updates make it feel like I got a new car!

Sorry your experience hasn't been so positive, OP.

Wow --- you guys are really fanboys.....

While I agree with you that the dogpile response you have received here can be characterized as a "fanboy" herd mentality, if you have read the forum then you should have expected this response given some of the charged phraseology you were using. A title like "After 6 months of loving my car, version 8 makes me want to sell it" when used in this crowd is kind of like pouring gasoline on an open flame or kicking someone's dog- you honestly didn't expect a dispassionate response to that from this crowd did you?

On the upside, it appears (to me anyway) that the general trend is in a healthy direction. There are far more threads initiated in the past year reflecting skepticism and critical analysis than it looks like there used to be. Two of the moderators here, in particular, are especially good at moderating towards a neutral bias. This does not appear to be the case on some of the other Tesla forums where moderators frequently reflect the strongest kool-aid in the crowd.

Just as Tesla is still a work in progress, so is the community. You can chose to be offended by it's current state and not participate, or see it as an opportunity, and help nudge it in a mature healthy direction - That decision remains yours.

Last edited:
So again, you weren't holding the wheel, correct? Then what exactly is your problem??? I have yet to see a single nag on 8.0 and can't remember the last one I had on 7.1 unless I was deliberately trying to generate one....

No argument on the media player side for users like you who have large libraries, certainly was a step back there...

Oh and really??? "stay the heck away from it for now"??? That's pretty dramatic...

Jeff

Plus one

Although I'm very disappointed with v8.0 the auto pilot is smoother and I still have yet to get a nag alert to hold on the steering wheel....

Correct --- since auto-steer became available (actually, now that I think about it, it's almost a year, I got it last November) it has worked beautifully for the most part (modulo occasional updates where it seemed a bit unstable). When I drive on highways, I have my hands either on the wheel or on my lap, about 250ms (if that) to reach the wheel in the event of a real problem, the potential of which I can see long in advance since my eyes are always on the road (front and back via mirror) and address.

I don't need my car to control what I can do and essentially punish me if I don't. I'm quite capable of being responsible for my own actions. Just because some schmuck wasn't paying attention to the road and traffic, we all have to be penalized? I understand totally both the capabilities and the potential failure points of auto-steer.

I'll bet that's exactly what the man who t-boned the truck in Florida said, and it killed him.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Lane keep and adaptive cruise are safety technologies that we humans are not ready for as a group.

Their intention is to be a co-pilot to catch the driver's mistakes.

Many people do use these technologies for their intended purpose, but many do not.

Some humans get bored with driving, so they want to web-browse, text, make phone calls, read books, eat/drink, sort their briefcase, put on makeup, etc. And they use these technologies to permit unsafe driving instead of safer driving.

Keep in mind this problem is increasing even though distracted driving has always been with us. It has now passed DWI as the leading cause of impaired "accidents".

It's strange that we want to ban certain things because a small fraction are misused, but when a bigger killer is misused, we think nothing of it. We as a people do not really understand risk pragmatically. If distracted driving aids are legal, why isn't drunk driving, which is safer?

The videos I've seen show several sequences of beeps after all the flashing before it disables Autopilot. You have to ignore it for something like 10 seconds after it starts beeping before it disables...

You think it would do that right? Something like this:

- first just a message
- followed by a beep
- followed by flashing and loud beeps
- then AP disabled with red hands of shame.

But that is NOT what happens all the time. Very often, but not always, the beeps just dont NOT happen. So in my regular commute in my 7.1 it would flash and beep and I would do the torque. With the new 8.0 it doesn't nag more, but the alerts happen completely silent say about 70% of the time and I have missed the visual alerts every freakin time. Because I am watching the road and not the dash.

I say nag all you want, but have the courtesy to beep everytime.

Here's long game. If a driver kills/injures anybody, innocent or not, with an early revision of Driver's Aids with proven incidents of trouble, not only will the driver/estate be directly named as a defendant, so will Tesla for not forcing the update.

You KNEW there was a safety update and were involved in crash after refusing to update. Tesla "ShouldaWouldaCoulda" forced the issue due to their ability to monitor the cars individually.

A while back, the law did not say you needed Stability Control. Race cars didn't use it. Porsche sold a car without it for track use.
Porsche had disclaimers that this was a dangerous car that requires an expert driver. The owners all signed wavers to attend an Open Track event. One driver screwed up in a Lambo? and the Porsche driver lost control by poor driving.

Porsche was not to blame at all. Did that mean they won? Absolutely not. Now Paul Walker's estate is trying the same thing. It wasn't driving 100+ mph in a 45mph zone with trees on 9 year old glazed tires, it was Porsche's lack of unrequired stability control to blame.

So far the Rojas/Walker case has not won AFAIK, but automakers don't have to be at fault anymore to be get a judgement against them.

Brave new world.

I just drove 1,200 miles on 7.1, then the return trip on 8.0. I do take my hands off the wheel periodically. I really didn't notice much difference in frequency of nags. I'm not sure how one can miss the new halo warning, mine never got to the beep stage, much less the shut down. On AP, I frequently glance at the driver display to make sure it's reading lane lines clearly, so I know if I should keep my hands on the wheel 100%, or proactively take over steering until I'm on better marked pavement.

I didn't listen to any music or radio the entire trip, so I can't speak to media changes. All other changes were fine for me; I love how these big software updates make it feel like I got a new car!

Sorry your experience hasn't been so positive, OP.
I echo you experience. The new halo warning is almost impossible to miss and the one time I saw it I was able to react well before it got to "chime mode".

People who bought the car because they wanted a EV may complain about changes in autopilot or the media player, but those issues are minimal compared to the car being a EV. People who bought the car primarily because of autopilot, and for whom being a EV isn't important and may even be a bug rather than a feature, are going to care more about software changes affecting autopilot.

I wish Tesla would get back to selling the benefits of a long distance EV rather than selling autopilot. Autopilot may be a distraction on the path to EV adoption.

What is it about "makes me want to sell it" that you didn't understand
Umm...your thread title that says V8.0 "makes me want to sell it" seems pretty clear. You dislike V8.0 so much that you want to sell your car. That is a pretty extreme statement. So for someone to respond with something like "Okay then sell your car" hardly seems unreasonable.
Wow --- you guys are really fanboys.... I'm noting that the auto-steer process (including the new concept of actually disabling it) is not as good as it was on version 7
Labeling people with a pejorative term does not help you.

You are welcome to your opinion that V8.0 Autopilot is "not as good". And you should be able to accept the fact that many Tesla owners think V8.0 Autopilot is an improvement of V7.
It seems very difficult to actually discuss the problem on this forum. I said it makes me "want" to sell my vehicle, which describes how I felt when it shut off auto-steer on me. The actual choice language I used at that moment didn't seem like the appropriate subject line
The "choice language" you used in your thread title and post is in large part what caused the strong reactions you are complaining about. The other part is people simply disagreeing with your assessment of V8.0 Autopilot and describing their experiences which are quite different from your description. You label them as "fanboys". In fact they are Tesla owners giving their opinion. You object to that and have requested a moderator delete this thread. That's not going to happen. Threads don't get deleted just because the OP is unhappy with reasoned disagreements with their stated position.

In my experience so far the TACC element is much better.
I agree.
The Lane-Steering is no better, but no worse.
My experience as well.
I'm hugely biased towards TACC
I am as well. I think the autosteer is totally oversold. And after the novelty wears off it's really not very interesting for a 10mi jaunt down the freeway. It's best on a longer stretch of freeway which for many people is not their daily drive.
The bugs in the media will be fixed
I believed that earlier, but with 8.0 I think Tesla has shown that they don't understand what to fix or how to fix it. And Elon is for some reason afraid of Google and Apple so we're destined to have a home grown weak solution while huge numbers of software engineers pour their efforts into phone apps which we cannot access from our Tesla's while Elon's engineers try to re-create iTunes 2008. My 2014 BMW will allow me direct access to Siri from the steering wheel, and since Siri and my iPhone get continuously updated in effect so does my 2014 BMW. Meanwhile Tesla goes backwards.

Disagree. Your analogy is incredibly far off based on my 12K worth of roadtrip experience using auto-steer/pilot. It is much more relaxing and lets you look around (peripheral vision still watching road). Allows for some long miles of travel, less stress, and just a plain more relaxing way to drive. It is huge to me and simple with my hand(s) on the wheel. Even if looking left / right at scenario or side roads I can IMMEDIATELY **feel** the wheel do something odd and react. I don't have to visually see it do something and have that delay/interpretation happen.
Your point is spot on in that the real value of auto-steer is for extended road trips. But the reality of most owner's daily driving is far different and in an environment where auto-steer is either not recommended, or not really very useful. We have this problem where Tesla is obsessed with a feature that doesn't provide much value to its customers. At the same time Tesla doesn't do anything to support road trips with the nav system (like a real trip planner with multiple waypoints) and trashed the functionality of the media player which virtually all owners use on a daily basis.

Tesla's priorities are just way out of sync with the usage patterns of their customers.