Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 8.0 Upgrade - 'Autopilot Features Currently Unavailable -- Manual Driving Required While...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ This seems to an essential step.

Precisely,

I have also experienced similar "Autopilot Features Currently Unavailable -- Manual Driving Required" when too much condensation has occurred over the camera or the sensors won't initialize correctly. A that point, the feature does not become available again until I have let it sit parked for at least a few minutes and walked away. This seems to then re-initialize and enable the feature if the earlier triggering event has since been resolved.

I wonder why Tesla would not just trigger that functionality 'on the fly' as it were while driving once the conditions causing the earlier initialization problem had been resolved? Does it require the vehicle it initialize from a known 'parked' state in order to enable the Autopilot feature?

It's been about 15 months now, but I recollect that in AP1.0 I was frustrated that the Autopark feature was not enabled initially, and was told the car needed calibrating of the sensors before it could do that functionality. This took about 1400 miles before it began to detect and provide option to autopark. However, also in AP1.0, the TACC and Autosteer functions worked right out of the gate.

I suspect that what the new AP 2.0 drivers are experiencing is that the TACC and Autosteer functions are also now tied to that sensor array calibration. This may be because in AP 1.0 Tesla already had at least 10 months of data collected before enabling AP in Oct 2015, while AP 2.0 is doing that collecting on the new harness now (which has only begun once AP 2.0 hw was released to consumers). I believe the safety measure is a prudent one, and expect within a few weeks that this will become a non-issue for newer customers. Welcome to the world of Early Adopters! And enjoy your Tesla's, they will be Amazing once those features get refined and deployed fully.

2.50.185 is the most recent version we have seen.

prob a dumb question (newbie) - but where do you see the versions? Mine shows 8.0 (17.9.3) when clicking the tesla icon - is there somewhere else the minor version is shown?

I'm also getting the Manual Driving Required While Camera is Calibrating - new inventory car - drove about 80 miles so far on the freeway first day with the car? Should I be patient or try something?

prob a dumb question (newbie) - but where do you see the versions? Mine shows 8.0 (17.9.3) when clicking the tesla icon - is there somewhere else the minor version is shown?

I'm also getting the Manual Driving Required While Camera is Calibrating - new inventory car - drove about 80 miles so far on the freeway first day with the car? Should I be patient or try something?

17.9.3 is the full version number for what you have installed. (Which is the most current version we know of for AP2 equipped cars.)

Reactions: cybergates
Puzzled - mine shows 17.10.42 - looks like an update was installed just a few days ago, and now the AP behaves like an old lady. Very sluggish on the uptake when the car in front starts to move, inviting people in the next lane to cut in - slowing it down even further, etc. Don't like the behavior at all. Used to be my "savior" during the sections on my morning commute when I hit stop and go traffic. Now I tend to turn it off in frustration after the fourth or fifth car cuts in in front of me (yes, distance set to "1"). Anybody else have that problem?

Thanks,

Puzzled - mine shows 17.10.42 - looks like an update was installed just a few days ago, and now the AP behaves like an old lady. Very sluggish on the uptake when the car in front starts to move, inviting people in the next lane to cut in - slowing it down even further, etc. Don't like the behavior at all. Used to be my "savior" during the sections on my morning commute when I hit stop and go traffic. Now I tend to turn it off in frustration after the fourth or fifth car cuts in in front of me (yes, distance set to "1"). Anybody else have that problem?

Thanks,

17.10.42 is the most recent firmware for AP1 cars that we know of. You have an AP1 car.

17.9.3 is the full version number for what you have installed. (Which is the most current version we know of for AP2 equipped cars.)

Thanks! It took a while longer but autopilot and cruise now available. On first use on surface street it corrected kinda late on a small bend on the road crossing the.double yellow stripe before correcting over. Sounds like they still have a lot of work for ap2