Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ahhh slower EVSE provided on new cars now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, my panel was in my garage. And the desired HPWC / 14-50 location was inches from the panel, so I think "Tesla owner == rich fool i can gouge" was more of a factor than materials. In the end, there was ~3 feet of conduit needed, since there was a mess of cables in the wall that the electrician didn't want to have to go through to run it out the bottom of the panel..
View attachment 271453

Ok, agree then maybe you were getting gouged. I had a longer run up a wall, though my attack and down the other side so the upgraded wire cost was significant.

However, a lot of the cost has nothing to do with getting "ripped off" if you took the time to price out the materials yourself. The wire alone on my job for the hpwc doubled the cost of the job. The labor is basically the same.
Perhaps there is some other factor you are not mentioning, like using a much higher level of circuit, because this doesn't make sense. If you are putting in a 50A circuit and are deciding whether to put either a 14-50 outlet or a HPWC on it, the wire for the HPWC would be cheaper. That's because the 14-50 outlet has to have 4 total wires run, while the wall connector only needs 3, since it doesn't need the Neutral. So perhaps you're talking about with a wall connector that you would put in a 100A or 80A circuit instead, so you would be using thicker gauge wire.

Perhaps there is some other factor you are not mentioning, like using a much higher level of circuit, because this doesn't make sense. If you are putting in a 50A circuit and are deciding whether to put either a 14-50 outlet or a HPWC on it, the wire for the HPWC would be cheaper. That's because the 14-50 outlet has to have 4 total wires run, while the wall connector only needs 3, since it doesn't need the Neutral. So perhaps you're talking about with a wall connector that you would put in a 100A or 80A circuit instead, so you would be using thicker gauge wire.

Not totally sure on these details, I initially had planned to run the thicker wire but only install a 14-50 but since my run was long the cost was prohibitive. I'm getting 22 mph charge so that's fine, if I'm able to add a hpwc and run it at 40 amps then I would up that 4-6 mph. Nice to have but doesn't seem necessary right now.

Interesting discussion perspectives. Tesla reduced the price of the Portable Charger some time ago when they went to 32 amp. Keep in mind that 32A is the max that can be used on a 40A circuit, and 40A is the max on a 14-50 circuit. I run my HPWC at 36A as an added margin of safety. The HPWC safety recall was in mid-2016 and prior manufactured model. The 8A difference is ~40 minutes for an over-night charge for my P90D. So my phone "beeps" at 5 AM instead of 4 AM. When there was a dual-80A inverter option, Tesla found most didn't select the option -- not only due to the option's cost, but the cost of putting in a 100Amp circuit was prohibitive and unnecessary for most drivers. With manufacturing efficiencies, and cost reductions, the price of my 2017 X configuration (before insane was deleted), now is nearly $10,000 less. A number of the options are now standard (trailer hitch, air suspension, etc) which were $1000's as options previously. Making these standard streamlined manufacturing and reduced component unit cost. BTW, the HPWC that's $500 currently was $750 in 2016 -- so for those installing the HPWC, it is more affordable. The portable charger is also less today than in late 2016. As Tesla has matured, the many options are now packages, model choices are reduced, battery performance with the new SW updates are improved -- all to reduce the manufacturing cost.

I get some don't need to buy a wall charger or feel the 8A difference is troubling. IMO suggesting being screwed or ripped off is a bit harsh. Tesla provides a list of electricians as a convenience to owners -- everyone has the right to chose any licensed company.

You might not care because you don't have TOD utility plan. 32A vs 40A charging is the difference of off peak vs semi off peak charging. Faster charging is always beneficial, especially for people who don't live near the SC or want to spend an hour waiting to charge.

My wiring is fine thank you very much, I just expect the 40A EVSE like they provided on all their cars up until last month!

You know what else is annoying, Tesla delivered cars with out of spec charging ports. You had to hump the charge port in order for it to work. Most nights I was stuck charging at 16A because the plug was too tight!