Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alive and married bc a Model X saved my life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing. Cannot put a price on your life.

I'm not expert on crash physics but I assume its far worse typically for the nail than the hammer right? I can't fathom the energy you had to go up against.

The heavier stiffer object is the hammer. That's the Tesla Model X.

In this case the silver car was a nail hitting the hammer.

Reactions: vandacca
Good news travels fast ... Man credits Tesla for saving his life after stolen car crashed into his rented Model X the day before his wedding

upload_2017-5-15_8-18-44.png

upload_2017-5-15_8-18-19.png

Yes, Model X certainly had more mass here. That said, I guess for the humans the forces were quite different in the sedan vs. the Model X. In the sedan they would have been thrown forwards, while in the Model X the driver was likely thrown sideways. Someone familiar with this perhaps could comment which is usually worse?

@FlatSix911 Are you saying good news travels faster than Countergate or Throttlegate news? :)

Note how the Tesla's battery has been disabled/cut (frunk panel where that is done can be seen open)...

Does anyone else doubt that the impact was at 65 MPH from the damage to both cars?

Yes, seems quite likely the silver car pushed the brakes before hitting. And the lucky part for both sides was hitting the front axle/tire that must have absorbed some more of the impact than perhaps a rigid battery would have... Though the unlucky part of course is that a hit to the axle is usually a totalling event, perhaps not always some other parts...

It looks to me that the sedan hit the X dead-center on the driver's front wheel, which took all the impact. I would expect that the X was pushed and spun around it's center of gravity. I wouldn't ever want to own that fixed X cause I suspect a lot of damage was done internally to the frame and suspension.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle was going close to 60mph at time of impact, maybe slightly less. Sounds like it would have been a violent collision.

Glad to hear that this story had a happy ending.

Hey TMC,

I created this account on here to just let everyone know the story of how I am alive and well because a Model X I rented for my wedding. I am now happily married to my wife on 5/6/17. I want to share with you, Tesla, and Mr. Elon Musk my experience with Tesla Motors. Through my testimony, I can truly say that Tesla’s cars are well-built, perfectly designed, and extremely safe.

I have been interested in Tesla’s innovative and dynamic technology since its founding in 2003. Being an automation controls consultant for Tesla in the stamping, body, and paint lines, I have been able to see first-hand how well these vehicles are designed. I work directly with the engineers leading the Model S, X, and 3 lines and regularly visit headquarters in Fremont, CA. Little did I know that one of these vehicles would end up saving my life in a potentially deadly auto accident.

Here’s my story:

I have always known that the Tesla Model X was a great vehicle, but I was able to confirm this the night before my wedding on Friday, May 5. Nancy and I had just finished up our rehearsal dinner with our friends and family. Upon leaving the restaurant to walk to our cars, we heard police sirens nearby. Not thinking anything of this, I dropped off Nancy at her car and we prepared to go our separate ways until the big day.

When I made my way out of the parking lot, I began to take a left turn on to the main street. Mid-turn, I noticed a silver car quickly approaching the driver’s side of the vehicle (I later learned that they were going over 65mph on a private road). I had no time to react, since the driver came from a blind spot on my left. At this point, it looked like the driver had no intention of slowing down, and I immediately thought that I was either going to get badly hurt or potentially die.

I quickly braced and gripped the steering wheel as I was pounded by the silver car, sending me over 20 feet away from my starting point. With the impact, all of the airbags deployed, instantly leaving me in shock. The outgassing of the airbags caused the car to smoke, making it difficult to see. I reached for the door handle with my right hand, but was not able to open it. Seeing no other option, I kicked open the door and was able to escape the vehicle. As I walked outside, I immediately saw the police chasing after the culprits driving the silver car. I looked around, dazed, and ended up falling to the ground. I am unsure of what happened next, but all I can remember is hearing voices from the people nearby, and Nancy screaming my name. When I came to consciousness, I was being helped by the police, paramedics, and fire department. The silver car was a mess, but the Model X only suffered a broken axel and bent wheel.

It turns out that the silver car was a stolen vehicle, driven by a young couple hiding from the police. They were in the midst of a police chase, already having been pursued for several miles, and I (along with the Model X) just happened to be the collateral damage. Eventually one officer reported that they had caught the female passenger, but the male driver was still on the loose. (Luckily, authorities have identified the male driver and are looking out for him).

After taking care of all the onsite paperwork, I was driven to the ER. I was fortunate enough to have walked away with nothing more than a torn ligament in my right hand and a few bruises on my left thigh. At the end of the night, I made it home in time to rewrite my vows to Nancy, get some rest, and be at my wedding the following day on 5/6. I can happily say that the wedding went (mostly) as planned!

I wanted to write this to you in hopes that this raises visibility to the management chain at Tesla. I can't thank Elon Musk, Tesla, and the team enough for what they do and want them to know that their car saved my life. While I also believe that I am still alive because of divine intervention, being in that car was definitely my shield and protector. I have made it a short term goal of mine to sell my cars and buy a Tesla as my next vehicle. That car saved my life. Thank you for your time and I hope this message gets passed through to everyone, especially Elon.

John
Very happy to hear you are ok and that you are interested in getting a Tesla. And I'm hoping that in the future Tesla will use it's sensors to hopefully further mitigate crash energy and the likelihood of bodily injury. If the sensors see something coming from the side and there's nothing in front it could accelerate out of the way and or position the car to mitigate more crash energy and minimize the potential for injury.

With Tesla's new sensors and a bit of advanced autopilot software this could be a possibility!

So glad you're okay, @QwiksilverA4! I tweeted a link to your message to both Tesla Motors & Elon. I'm sure they'll appreciate your words. And I look forward to seeing you on the forum telling us about the Tesla you buy :). Welcome!

Hi @bonnie Thanks for the retweet! I'm now looking for a MS 2017

@QwiksilverA4 glad you are okay and congratulations on your marriage! I see your accident occurred on the Eastridge Loop road at the Eastridge Mall in east San Jose. I can easily envision the silver car attaining a high rate of speed on that wide open gently curving 4-lane road.

I'm curious: how did you rent an X? From a rental car agency or a private party?

And what model Tesla have you now decided to buy?

Yes as you know that loop for the mall is similar to that of a nascar track without the APEX turns.
I rented through and app called TURO. It's like an AIR BNB for cars instead.
Now im working my way to get a 2017 MS
I love modifying my cars, and I'd image me changing a couple of things here and there with the MS.

Does anyone else doubt that the impact was at 65 MPH from the damage to both cars? There is nothing about that which looks to me like the sedan hit the X at 65 MPH. I've been in a few sub-20 MPH collisions with that much damage.

Thrilled everyone is OK!

Ya know, I would of thought the same. At least the driver of the other car might have hit the brakes before hitting me. But witnesses / bystanders and the police report say other wise it was 60pmh and above. I would say the hit to door and axel contributed towards my safety as well.

Intuitively.. I think I would rather try and ram a 350LB NFL Linebacker at my maximum speed than to have the 350LB NFL Linebacker ram me at his maximum speed.

A Model X T-Boning the silver car at 65+ would have had dramatically different accident results?

I still think any object being hit is the nail unless its a unmovable wall or something.

Hi @bonnie
Now im working my way to get a 2017 MS
I love modifying my cars, and I'd image me changing a couple of things here and there with the MS.

I'd suggest looking for a 2015 or 2016 CPO you could save a bundle vs buying new.

There's no change significant change in safety for 2012-2017 Model S and No change for Model X (hasn't been out as many years) but the battery capacity, autopilot sensors, other options have changed.

For sure take a run through the configurator at Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla and Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla and be sure to look at the cash price (ignore the gas savings and financing) then go compare vs the one you like best from the CPO sites.

EV-CPO / Tesla CPO, Preowned, Used and Inventory Listings / ev-cpo.com will help for filtering the CPOs

Intuitively.. I think I would rather try and ram a 350LB NFL Linebacker at my maximum speed than to have the 350LB NFL Linebacker ram me at his maximum speed.

A Model X T-Boning the silver car at 65+ would have had dramatically different accident results?

I still think any object being hit is the nail unless its a unmovable wall or something.

A nail will bend, a hammer won't

As to your football player I'd rather run into a linebacker in sweats while I'm wearing footbal pads than to run into a football player with pads while I'm wearing sweats.

Speed matters, mass matters, structure matters.

Who is moving and who is sitting still won't change a nail into a hammer.

I'd suggest looking for a 2015 or 2016 CPO you could save a bundle vs buying new.

There's no change significant change in safety for 2012-2017 Model S and No change for Model X (hasn't been out as many years) but the battery capacity, autopilot sensors, other options have changed.

For sure take a run through the configurator at Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla and Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla and be sure to look at the cash price (ignore the gas savings and financing) then go compare vs the one you like best from the CPO sites.

EV-CPO / Tesla CPO, Preowned, Used and Inventory Listings / ev-cpo.com will help for filtering the CPOs

We've noticed the 15s have everything we'd want and the AP1.
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the new facia change from 2016.5 though.
tough choices ahead!

Glad everyone was OK.

Looks like Turo insurance covers Model X's up to actual cash value. So the owner will lose whatever depreciation the car had already taken assuming they were using Turo's coverage.

I wonder how much of a hassle it will be to get them to pay out on a totaled X

Glad everyone was OK.

Looks like Turo insurance covers Model X's up to actual cash value. So the owner will lose whatever depreciation the car had already taken assuming they were using Turo's coverage.

I wonder how much of a hassle it will be to get them to pay out on a totaled X

I hope as a goodwill gesture, Tesla can do something good for the Model X owner.