Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those temperatures might mess up the properties of the cold rolled stainless steel.
I have actually been reading about this and then I realized SpaxeX would not be using it on rockets that are going to re-enter Earths atmosphere if they would then have to scrape the stainless and start over. It appears over 1900 degrees is the point it starts to turn red. Anything under 1000 degrees should be fine..... but all I have is google so take all that with a grain of salt.

Looking at the prototype pictures it's easy to see getting this truck into a regulatory compliant form is going to take some serious iteration. I wonder what's going to cost more bringing the prototype into a production ready design or planning, outfitting, and commissioning the production capacity for this new stainless origami technique. I really hope super strong stainless steel laser cutting, folding, and welding is not going to follow the meandering solar roof development path.

I have actually been reading about this and then I realized SpaxeX would not be using it on rockets that are going to re-enter Earths atmosphere if they would then have to scrape the stainless and start over. It appears over 1900 degrees is the point it starts to turn red. Anything under 1000 degrees should be fine..... but all I have is google so take all that with a grain of salt.

The loading and design of Starship is completely different from Cybertruck. Starship is a pressurized tube (also free standing) with mostly axial loads. CT is a point loaded truss. Starship went stainless specifically for temperature resistance (at both ends of the spectrum) and the thickness is the minimum needed based on that strength. CT is cold rolled super hard 3.0mm plate. Starship's skin is shaped into cylinders, CT is scored and bent.

F9 uses an aluminum-lithium alloy, the stainless does not need to be super strong.

Annealing starts at 500F or so for steel, but it depends on the specific alloy.

I'm not seeing it, even with the diesel. I just priced one (XLT with the diesel) and it was $50k. That's on par with what the dual motor, which doesn't tow 14k lbs (it says the max is around 10k). To get the capabilities of the F250 diesel, you have to go to the three motor, which is $70k. I'm sure maintenance will be less on the Tesla, but lots of things that break on a Tesla can be VERY expensive to repair (out of warranty).

Short answer it isn't going to work for everyone and it definitely isn't going to work for you if you don't include fuel and maintenance or if electrcity is expensive where you live.

Many people that tow large loads frequently may be in a remote locations and are able to install solar panels, if so, that changes the equation.

Keep in mind this is V1 over the next 5-10 years, batteries will get bigger EV trucks will get cheaper and solar will get cheaper..

So if it doesn't work for you now, waiting isn't a bad option, it is a better option than rushing out and buying a new expensive diesel truck.

If you are going to buy a new diesel truck, I recommend considering fuel and maintenance before pulling the trigger.

With their steel folding production method many such variations can probably be implemented in software...

As @KarenRei correctly pointed it out stainless steel isn't for every vehicle form factor - but for those where it is an advantage (trucks, vans, taxis, minibuses) the flexibility will be amazing, as long as a number of physical constraints are maintained:
  • Triangular top - this is a main load bearing structure and also air flow tapering requires shallow angles at the top.
  • Nose to top angle has to be below a certain limit - which defines a minimum length for the vehicle: not enough internal cabin height otherwise.
  • Simple styling: anything that doesn't fit into the Origami XY design style is out.
  • All around skin: load has to be distributed and stiffness maintained.
I'm curious whether they'll try smaller and larger stainless steel vehicles. The stainless steel ATV is I think a silent suggestion that they might.
FC - not sure the pitched roof is a necessity to make SS work. Can you please clarify.

Who cares about a tug of war between an EV and an ICE. The EV wins on all performance specs that matter. Plus the truck on the right looks way better to me now than the truck on the left.... View attachment 481023
Great photo. Shows why the bed is that much larger than the F150. The wheel wells don't help.

Looking at the prototype pictures it's easy to see getting this truck into a regulatory compliant form is going to take some serious iteration. I wonder what's going to cost more bringing the prototype into a production ready design or planning, outfitting, and commissioning the production capacity for this new stainless origami technique. I really hope super strong stainless steel laser cutting, folding, and welding is not going to follow the meandering solar roof development path.

It seems to be the Truck is what Elon was talking about when he mentioned doing 2 things at once, (Truck and Model Y)
Tuck has jumped the priority queue ahead of Roadster and I can see why..
The big giant machine possibly relates to building the truck.. but that is the basic shell...
.You are right in adding in everything they need will take a lot of iteration and design work.. less work is required if they know what components they are using and just need to work out how to install them.....
They have 2 years but possibly need 1 year just to get everything in the final form, then 1 year to optimise the build...
My guess is this is a completely different team to Model Y, and probably a new factory location (not Fremont), Model Y is well advanced and not impacted in any way. China and Europe are well advanced and not impacted...
The origami technique can probably turn out test mules fairly quickly, these can later be re-purposed a Tesla service vans, so in around 1 year, I would expect a fair few mules driving around and being tested... They will be able to do crash testing and anything else that needs doing.
So full steam ahead.....

upload_2019-11-25_0-8-3.png

some states oddly hating Cybrtrk

New Jersey
Main
Rhode Island
Delaware

Some States oddly loving Cybrtrk
Wyoming
Louisiana
Alabama
Utah

Missouri is half Northern and half Southern. And traditionally the swingiest of swing States falls into the love category.

Or it may just be not a great percentage of rednecks on twitter.

I doubt Cybrtrck is going to be 1 ton heavier than Model X.

For sure RWD Cybertruck.

Is that gross or curb weight though? 3,500 lb payload vs 1,400lb for the X, and the X is over 6k gross, plus pickup tri motor has bigger pack.
I was talking about gross vehicle weight rating - curb weight plus (3500 lbs) payload.

I believe Tesla stated it during the unveil that the Cybertruck has a curb weight similar to an F-150.

But since the Cybertruck has the cargo and pull performance of an F-350/F-450, you might be required to have a higher category driving license (and maybe a different registration) if you load more weight than allowed by the 'car' license/registration.

This is similar to pretty much any other heavy truck, and these are common-sense regulations, as road damage is higher with higher weight and it requires more careful/expert driving as well.
The truck will mostly appeal to the US market, where the legal realities are this:

Driver-wise, someone on a normal license in the US can drive any vehicle 26,000 lbs GVWR or less, any trailer 10,000 lbs GVWR or less, and any combination of vehicles 26,000 lbs GVWR or less (so, for instance, a 12,000 lbs GVWR truck towing a 14,000 lbs GVWR trailer does not require a CDL, but a 12,001 lbs GVWR truck towing a 14,000 lbs GVWR trailer does - this is a very strong reason for Tesla to keep the tri-motor truck's GVWR at 12,000 lbs or less, and therefore the curb weight at 8500 lbs or less).

Registration-wise, there are cost increases every step of the way (and in some states, cost increases for it being a truck at all). Notable points where they increase are exceeding 6,000 lbs GVWR, 8,500 lbs GVWR, 10,000 lbs GVWR, and 14,000 lbs GVWR. (Worth noting that Model X exceeds 6,000 lbs GVWR and is certified as a truck itself...)

(0-6,000 is known as "Class 1", and is typically compact/midsize pickups and SUVs. 6,001-8,500 is known as "Class 2a" and is typically "half-ton" full-size pickups and SUVs (although they usually have much more payload than an actual 1,000 lbs), 8,501-10,000 is "Class 2b" and is typically "3/4 ton" full-size pickups and SUVs (again, they usually have more payload), and 10,001-14,000 is "Class 3" and is typically "1 ton" full-size pickups.

And then, there's parking. Some neighborhoods forbid vehicles above 8,500 lbs GVWR to be parked, to try to prevent people bringing commercial vehicles into the neighborhood overnight.

It is worth noting that emissions regulations get slightly more lax above 6,000 lbs GVWR, and much more lax above 8,500 lbs GVWR - above 8,500, Tesla isn't even required to report any efficiency figures to the public (IIRC there is a heavy duty CAFE, but it itself is much more lax and again, efficiency figures aren't reported). Safety regulations get significantly more lax above 10,000 lbs GVWR.

In the 1970s/1980s, pickup truck manufacturers started making "heavy half" pickups with 6,001-6,050 lb GVWRs specifically to avoid all emissions regulations... which resulted in emissions regulations being created for pickups up to 8,500 lbs. And now, all half-ton pickups are over 6,000. The H2 famously went for a payload just over 8,500 lbs specifically to avoid emissions regulations and having to report the dismal efficiency (which caused issues when people bought them and found out they couldn't park them at home legally).

And then, the other direction, derating is a thing. There's been years where the F-350 has been derated to 10,000 lbs GVWR through reducing the payload - you'd do this if you needed the tow rating of an F-350 (which is ridiculously high), but not the payload.

Honestly, the triple-motor Cybertruck's payload and tow rating seems most like a 6.2 liter V8 F-250 (the 6.7 liter V8 turbodiesel and the 7.3 liter V8 are both higher), not an F-350 or F-450, though. Lower-end models still have a higher payload than any F-150, but tow ratings more in line with the F-150.

The license issue makes me worried about the actual preorder numbers.

I feel that many of The preorder never actual know much about pickups, just like me .
We just think that the vehicle looks cool and prices are so attractive. Then we think we can drive one, then put the preorder

Fast forward to two years later. The sales person get our payment and everything, spend their time, and finally they find that we don’t have the valid license. Now that they have to cancel the order. What a waste of time and resource?
Honestly, this could be an issue for anyone in Europe reserving it. I expect it to be well over 3500 kg GVWR. But really, I also wouldn't entirely be surprised if it just never gets sent to Europe...

Last edited:
So I probably will not get the Cybertruck. But there is one feature I'd like in my TMX.

A 240V outlet would be very useful! For all kinds of use - from charging a laptop to running a coffe maker. Or plugging in a hoover or the tools I use when swapping summer/winter tires.

I already have an inverter on the 12V cigarette socket - but not enough watts of power available.

It may not be possible to retrofit - but to add this at the factory to future Tesla models - how difficult would it be?

Initially I was very put off by the looks. But the specs and price are quite compelling. There is a lot of neat functionality such as power outlets and a ramp/lift gate. So I am thinking this may replace my Volt (our towing vehicle) in a few years to be ALL electric.
If they allow/enable a 400 volt, high current output from the main pack through the Supercharger port, this thing will replace your LINCOLN ARC WELDER. :p

LincolnArcWelderBigRig.jpg

Cheers!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla’s Cybertruck doesn’t look street legal, but pre-orders are pouring in
Experts say the pickup, as of today, is more concept than production car, and it’s not street legal. The vehicle lacks side mirrors — though the government may eventually approve rear-looking cameras instead of mirrors — windshield wipers and a front bumper. And its single light bar in the front and back would not pass safety standards. There did not appear to be any turn signals or a third brake light. The tires also appear to protrude from their wheel wells, which is illegal. The pickup’s sharp angles and ultra-hard material could also be a safety issue, with no obvious crumple zones to absorb the impact of a crash, which could affect the safety not only of those inside the Cybertruck, but any vehicle or pedestrian it hits.