Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this thing longer than an F150?

If not why are many people stating that this won't fit in their garage?

From Wikipedia:

• 209.3 in (5,316.2 mm) (Regular cab 6.5' box)
  • 227.9 in (5,788.7 mm) (Regular cab 8' box)
  • 231.9 in (5,890 mm) (SuperCab 6.5' box/SuperCrew 5.5' box)
  • 243.7 in (6,190 mm) (SuperCrew 6.5' box)
  • 250.5 in (6,363 mm) (SuperCab 8' box)
Compared to the Cybertruck (231.7”) the comparable SuperCrew 6.5’ box is 1 foot longer.

And for the descriptions (same Wikipedia page):
In line with its predecessor, the thirteenth-generation F-150 is sold with three cab configurations (two-door standard cab, 2+2 door SuperCab, four-door SuperCrew), with rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive (4x4). Three bed lengths are available (dependent on cab configuration): 5½ feet (SuperCrew, all Raptors), 6½ feet (all except Raptor), 8 feet (Regular cab, SuperCab).

Most common 2-car garage size is 20’ x 20’. Can be anywhere from 18’ to 25’.
At 232” in length, it would be a very tight squeeze in the standard 20’ garage. It’s literally 4 feet longer than a Model 3.

I don’t personally know of anyone who parks an F-150/250 inside a standard residential 2-car garage with another car. Not saying people don’t, I’m sure there are plenty that do. Maybe their garages are deeper than 20’, though.

Most common 2-car garage size is 20’ x 20’. Can be anywhere from 18’ to 25’.
At 232” in length, it would be a very tight squeeze in the standard 20’ garage. It’s literally 4 feet longer than a Model 3.

I don’t personally know of anyone who parks an F-150/250 inside a standard residential 2-car garage with another car. Not saying people don’t, I’m sure there are plenty that do. Maybe their garages are deeper than 20’, though.

Ironically, when I was shopping for homes, I took a measuring tape with me to measure the length of the garage's. There were a surprising number who's usable footprint for a vehicle was notably less than 20'. Admittedly, a truck's nose is higher than my Firebird, so it could theoretically go over the built-in walkway/washing machine area, but there were some pretty steep ones.

Parking a lower rise vehicle like the S or 3, or even the X, is generally a lot easier than a truck as a rule, let alone one who's as large as the Cybrtrk.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Charging, rain, cold etc.

Yes, I'm sure that a stainless steel armoured truck will get destroyed in short order by rain and cold ;)

https://news.cnyes.com/news/id/4415749

According to market report, Tesla supplier (HOTA and BizLink) received notification to start mass production of parts six months earlier. Originally Tesla planned to start production of Model Y late 2020, but recently supplier chain rumors the pull forward to summer of 2020. supplier comments "Originally Tesla asks to start mass production in Q2 2020, but recently was notified to start production in Q4 2019".

"supply chain operators say, are also preparing to simultaneously supply recently released Tesla Truck Semi-related components."

Six month pullforward -> deliveries in Q2.

Nice to see the Semi news in there :)

The next couple of years will be about global expansion with the 3 & Y, and massively scaling battery cell output.

While Cybertruck production shouldn't present any big hurdles, it will gobble up a lot of Nevada-made cells.

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner:

lagonda-all-models-lagonda-S3641023-1.jpg

Aston Martin Lagonda: Spotted | PistonHeads

It's the same length.

Most people's garages that don't have a truck have a lot of needed items (aka junk) taking up space. My garage is like that, but it's no problem since the Cybertruck won't be living in the garage anyway.

Changing topics, anyone see this render? It's better than the others I've seen. You could get a lot of this effect by making the upper "sail" out of black plastic, IMHO. It opens to access storage, so there's no reason it has to be steel. I'd also like to see the "roof peak" flattened. A one foot flat area would probably help aerodynamics, too.

I wouldn't be so sure that a flat section for the top roof would help aerodynamics. The CFD simulation results I've seen kicking around show that the cybertruck roof peak, as is, is surprisingly good at not separating the airflow. But it's probably a moot point anyway because you want to keep it a triangle for strength. Trapezoids are weak and puny next to a mighty triangle!!!!

Here's one with some good visualizations https://i.imgur.com/MnY9lDO.jpg but I would take its deduced drag numbers with a grain of salt as it's for a 3D model built from press pictures and I think the real deal is probably better.

@Doggydogworld @davepsilon has it right. There are some other good visualizations on the aerodynamics of the truck and this showed that the design is surprisingly brilliant. It enables 14k lb towing (ie real f'ing truck not a f150), it releases the airfoil in the back just beautifully- I mean it is a think to see if the simulation is at all correct. Aerodynamics on a truck (or any car) are just as much about the initial disturbance (sleek nose/hoods) as it is about releasing the air gently off the back to reduce all sorts of negative impacts. Trucks (in current design) can't release the airfoil thus they can never really get good gas milage. The peak and gentle slope back not only add strength but enable efficiency. The design is ugly..lets just get that out there. However, it is brilliant. The truck design is so brilliant that I can't conceive of anyway to replicate the net wins in another form given our materials & battery capabilities.

Maybe a titanium frame...who knows.

Just to recap the brilliance:
  • Superhard Stainless- no minor accidents at all anymore-buff or grind out a scratch (thinking shopping carts, door bangs, 5-10mph fender benders)
  • Superhard stainless is so hard it can't be stamped or pressed but that means you get rid of a very constraining expensive portion of the production line. Savings in $ capax, time to build production facilities, and one would think overall cost of the frame.
  • It is not going to be painted- so no paint line. Huge savings in production time and costs.
  • Ground clearance- amazing. Simply the best off the lot ground clearance you can buy.
  • 220v outlet and 7 powerwall type battery for $40-70k...plus a truck to go with it. The implication of the battery size and cost price point means something going to happen at Tesla on the battery side of things. Basically, you get a truck for free if you guy the batteries. Given that the truck is not free...that it represents some very large portion of the overall costs..then the battery costs are projected to plunge. Good luck to the other guys.
  • Size- same size as a crew cab f-x50 type truck with a short bed. If the other truck fits in your garage this will too. If not, neither will this one.
  • Overall costs- same as a diesel fueled version of a similar spec'd truck from Ford/GM/FCA/etc. The most compelling vehicle Tesla makes compared to ICE/Diesel versions of competitors. This is in fact less expensive.
  • Range-wow. Tow range should be good for 250 miles in the expensive version.
  • Tow Capacity- just enough.
  • Recyclable- no carbon fiber/fiberglass crap to deal with. Just a stainless shell. Frankly I think this is an important point but I may be over optimistic in stating this.
  • Windows- ok..maybe not bullet proof but no more stupid gravel chip that crack the windshield
  • NO HAIL DAMAGE- huge insurance savings if you are in certain areas of the USA. Can't speak to the rest of the world but this totals lots of cars.
  • Design enables range efficiency & strength-looks ugly..works great.
  • On board solar recharging capabilities- great for off roaders or farm workers or foresters (me :) ).
Well that's just a few.

Last edited:
This video said exactly what I want to say about the “tug of war” test:

Tesla knows well the test is pointless, but they also know that is what truck lovers do, so they did it anyways just for the giggles.
And, it seems it’s going to grab extra attention for a while, genius marketing.

I agree it is meaningless as a competition. But it does show off the CT's tow capacity. And shows it can take abuse.

Dragging the F-150 uphill put a lot more strain on the CT than pulling a similar weight trailer as the coefficient of friction would be at least an order of magnitude greater due to the F150 wheels turning in the opposite direction. From the video looks like the CT was accelerating uphill too. All the more difficult.

At the very least this is probably harder than pulling a bunch of rail cars at very low constant speed as the rail wheel has much lower drag than rubber wheels on road.

Besides, let Musk have some fun would ya?! We all know he is a teenager at heart who sent a car to orbit the sun. It's not like this would harm the mission like that pedo tweet. What's the big deal?

I agree it is meaningless as a competition. But it does show off the CT's tow capacity. And shows it can take abuse.

Dragging the F-150 uphill put a lot more strain on the CT than pulling a similar weight trailer as the coefficient of friction would be at least an order of magnitude greater due to the F150 wheels turning in the opposite direction. From the video looks like the CT was accelerating uphill too. All the more difficult.

At the very least this is probably harder than pulling a bunch of rail cars at very low constant speed as the rail wheel has much lower drag than rubber wheels on road.

Besides, let Musk have some fun would ya?! We all know he is a teenager at heart who sent a car to orbit the sun. It's not like this would harm the mission like that pedo tweet. What's the big deal?

I don't believe it is meaningless and that's why ford has put a stop to the idea of a pull. Elon has said publically it is the same weight and size as a f150. Now the f150 likely didn't have 4wd enabled. Ok, that tesla truck was also not likely to be a 3 motor truck.

The benefits of an electric platform vs an ICE in a pulling competition are just tough to overcome. It is a super idea. Then turn around and drive the cybertruck right alongside it and gently push it off a cliff. (obviously the f150 stunt driver should be armored up a little before he goes for his ride). Staged..sure..good fun though

Reactions: SpaceCash
The added load is the sine of the angle times the added vehicle mass. No change in friction, and spinning tires have less grip than rolling ones. Locking the brakes on the 150 before the start would be the worst case load (assuming totally tight cable, otherwise you need running start to offset the snap effect).

True that. One guy can pull two locomotives, but one F150 can pull one guy easily.

Reactions: davepsilon
Just to recap the brilliance:
  • Superhard Stainless- no minor accidents at all anymore-buff or grind out a scratch (thinking shopping carts, door bangs, 5-10mph fender benders)
  • Superhard stainless is so hard it can't be stamped or pressed but that means you get rid of a very constraining expensive portion of the production line. Savings in $ capax, time to build production facilities, and one would think overall cost of the frame.
  • It is not going to be painted- so no paint line. Huge savings in production time and costs.
  • Ground clearance- amazing. Simply the best off the lot ground clearance you can buy.
  • 220v outlet and 7 powerwall type battery for $40-70k...plus a truck to go with it. The implication of the battery size and cost price point means something going to happen at Tesla on the battery side of things. Basically, you get a truck for free if you guy the batteries. Given that the truck is not free...that it represents some very large portion of the overall costs..then the battery costs are projected to plunge. Good luck to the other guys.
  • Size- same size as a crew cab f-x50 type truck with a short bed. If the other truck fits in your garage this will too. If not, neither will this one.
  • Overall costs- same as a diesel fueled version of a similar spec'd truck from Ford/GM/FCA/etc. The most compelling vehicle Tesla makes compared to ICE/Diesel versions of competitors. This is in fact less expensive.
  • Range-wow. Tow range should be good for 250 miles in the expensive version.
  • Tow Capacity- just enough.
  • Recyclable- no carbon fiber/fiberglass crap to deal with. Just a stainless shell. Frankly I think this is an important point but I may be over optimistic in stating this.
  • Windows- ok..maybe not bullet proof but no more stupid gravel chip that crack the windshield
  • NO HAIL DAMAGE- huge insurance savings if you are in certain areas of the USA. Can't speak to the rest of the world but this totals lots of cars.
  • Design enables range efficiency & strength-looks ugly..works great.
  • On board solar recharging capabilities- great for off roaders or farm workers or foresters (me :) ).
I love the list and it needs to be extended as more brilliance is discovered.

There could be a format that characterizes by sub-list just materials decisions and the advantages.

A sub-list for economy issues related to cost-in-use

A sub-list for design feature advantages

A sub-list for safety considerations

A sub-list for competitive performance

A sub-list for sustainability advantages

A sub-list discussing the financial Quality of Life issues related to vehicle with a 50 yr, million mile useful life - why not a 15 yr loan ie?

A sub-list for FSD implications

It just goes on and on...