Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where this idea that the Cybertruck is practically indestructible came from. If one hits a moose, elk or large deer at 65-75 mph with a Cybertruck, I'm pretty sure it will be totaled. But, yeah, the general toughness in the face of door dings, hail, shopping carts and the like is a *huge* benefit. I think a steel key would probably still be capable of putting a nice scratch in the door but you could probably just buff it out with some rubbing compound.

This is important from an investment perspective because it will make the truck that much more desirable (high demand).
Problem with many high speed ungulate car collisions now is that the animal comes over the hood and then impacts the windshield and may enter the cab to the great detriment of the occupants. The long low angle of the CT windshield makes it much more likely that an animal will be ramped over the cab and impact energy directed away from the vehicle to minimize damage or injuries to H. sapiens. If the stainless steel exoskeleton is as tough as it's made out to be, then it also seems damage and repair bills would be less in cases where impact occurs on the front of CT, and it's often the case that one sees the animal and is breaking to slow down but can't fully avoid impact.

That would be some pretty crazy hail, to dent what Franz with a sledgehammer couldn’t.
Deep-Impact-Header-1200x676.png

Problem with many high speed ungulate car collisions now is that the animal comes over the hood and then impacts the windshield and may enter the cab to the great detriment of the occupants. The long low angle of the CT windshield makes it much more likely that an animal will be ramped over the cab and impact energy directed away from the vehicle to minimize damage or injuries to H. sapiens. If the stainless steel exoskeleton is as tough as it's made out to be, then it also seems damage and repair bills would be less in cases where impact occurs on the front of CT, and it's often the case that one sees the animal and is breaking to slow down but can't fully avoid impact.

Uh, no.

A direct hit of a Moose or Elk at 65-75 mph is an extremely violent event. The ramp of the hood/windshield might reduce the chances of injuries to the occupants but it won't mean the vehicle will not be severely damaged or totaled. The windshield will not make it intact regardless of the ramp angle (at those speeds). I'm thinking you have never been directly involved in a high-speed impact with a large mammal like a moose or elk?

The Cybertruck will be tough but making it tough enough to avoid extensive damage from this type of event is not really possible unless vehicle weight and cost of materials simply weren't a concern.

Uh, no.

A direct hit of a Moose or Elk at 65-75 mph is an extremely violent event. The ramp of the hood/windshield might reduce the chances of injuries to the occupants but it won't mean the vehicle will not be severely damaged or totaled. The windshield will not make it intact regardless of the ramp angle (at those speeds). I'm thinking you have never been directly involved in a high-speed impact with a large mammal like a moose or elk?

The Cybertruck will be tough but making it tough enough to avoid extensive damage from this type of event is not really possible unless vehicle weight and cost of materials simply weren't a concern.
Indeed I have and would much rather be behind a wedge shaped armor windshield than one that is nearly perpendicular as most now are

It feels to me like the building blocks are now in place to complete the Masterplan 2, now all about the execution:

So, in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:

Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

With Elon confirming that there would now not be any new product reveals "for a while", solar roof v3 finally beginning its ramp, Battery Day likely to pull together a lot of the missing pieces on ramping cell volume and a solid foundation now in place for FSD/Tesla Network, it does make me wonder whether we might see Elon stepping back from Tesla somewhat in the not too distant future.
I hope not of course but let's see. And yes I know the details of his compensation package. But his other baby is now on the cusp of human rated space flight and potentially a lunar trip, not to mention Starlink, it's no doubt going to take a lot of great minds to get where he wants them to be by 2030.

Alternatively maybe Battery Day will coincide with a Master Plan Trois?

So would I. An elk can weigh over 1000 lbs. and moose range up to 1500 lbs. and beyond. The windshield is very unlikely to survive even if it's sharply raked. We're talking impact at 65-75 mph.
Direct impact at that speed will certainly cause damage but it's often the case that impacts are glancing and/or at lower speeds rather than direct. Most collisions are with deer that weigh 150-250 pounds. Much rarer are collisions with elk, which are in the 400-800 pound range or moose which are similarly sized for most of their subspecies except the Yukon-Alaskan moose and Roosevelt coastal elk that do get much larger.

Interestingly a lot of tech reviewers and even Tesla Youtubers seem to believe that Tesla missed the mark because the polarizing design will turn off traditional pick up buyers.

However the reviews I’ve seen by traditional pick up buyers, as well as their comments on YouTube videos, indicate they’re excited about it.

My read is that traditional truck buyers are 90% against and 10% in favor of CT design. Not a lot of undecideds.

Full size trucks sales are ~3M per year in North America.

That could translate to 300k sales per year from traditional buyers, plus non-traditional buyers in North America plus RoW. According to ARK investments CT received ~1500 orders from Australia and ~3200 from the UK. Per capita that is about the same but I expected much higher orders per capita from Australia.

After there are a couple of thousand CT units roaming around Idaho and Wyoming it may become to seem normal. And therefore more palatable to traditional pickup buyers. Or it could end up more like a Prius. Iconic and selling well for what it is but never entering mainstream status and influencing overall vehicle design. It is impossible to know for sure how history will judge to the CT design.

I had a '52 Tatra

As a daily driver? w00t!

Czechia's traditional engineering prowess - presently augmented by capable software developers - and the current full employment in many factories supplying the automotive industry would make for an excellent second European Gigafactory location. I think enough smart people could be induced to work future-proof new jobs while the switching is good.

Just in case that Brandenburg thing doesn't pan out or starts to lag. I hope there's a small team at Tesla keeping their second choice alive [whatever it is], because Model Y is just the thing for Europe.

While a smaller Cybertruck carefully tailored to local conditions would also sell well, I think. Just not as well as a simple, billionmeter panel van. I thought the latter would be a market taken over by ultra-cheap Chinese imports, but Tesla could create a standout competitive advantage with a vehicle designed to last nearly forever.

#SWITZERLAND #TARIFFS
It's a detail in the larger scheme of things, but Switzerland decided to unilaterally abolish all non-agrarian tariffs for imports, given that high-value added exports directly benefit from the move. Interesting take on trade dynamics. So Teslas - already cheaper than in the surrounding EU anyway - should get another little boost.

Reactions: SwTslaGrl