Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So would I. An elk can weigh over 1000 lbs. and moose range up to 1500 lbs.

Point of note, for clarity: elk means different things in different parts of the world. In much of the world, it's a synonym for moose. What you call elk by contrast is commonly referred to as red deer (although technically the American and Eurasian varieties are a different species).

I think most people would figure out by the fact that you gave both names that you're using american terminology (I did, after a brief double take to make sure I was reading it right), but just letting you know :) For example, the famous "Moose Test" from Sweden is known as Älgtest in Swedish, Elgtest in Danish, Elchtest in German, Test dell'alce in Italian, Elandtest in Dutch, Elgspróf in Icelandic, etc. All "Elk Test".

Last edited:
Finally someone who knows pickups does a detailed takedown of Doug. Very informative on exactly why Cybertruck is such a great value!

Very interesting reading through the comments too. Also follows up a good question:

Vanessa Kitty 17 hours ago
How far does the Tesla truck goes with full payload?

The Eclectic Beard 17 hours ago
I've actually tweeted out to Elon Musk to see what the estimated ranges are for the 3 models when a near capacity load is being towed.

Edit: Vanessa Kitty... she's probably holding out for the six-wheel Cybertruck.

Last edited:
Thats not what I’m seeing. The mood is shifting for the positive in a big way towards the CT. Besides it really doesn’t matter what most people “think” right now. What actually matters as that once these get on the road and people truly understand it’s capabilities and toughness, these are going to sell even faster.

That is the Group Think in the pro Tesla echo chamber.

I don't read any nonsense from the Seeking Alpha TSLAQ crowd either.

@SO16 stated his opinion and what he is seeing in terms of a shift in the public mood in favor of the Tesla Cybertruck. And you are comparing him to TSLAQ trolls??

Your insults and your trolling is getting increasingly unhinged.

My read is that traditional truck buyers are 90% against and 10% in favor of CT design. Not a lot of undecideds.

Full size trucks sales are ~3M per year in North America.

That could translate to 300k sales per year from traditional buyers, plus non-traditional buyers in North America plus RoW. According to ARK investments CT received ~1500 orders from Australia and ~3200 from the UK. Per capita that is about the same but I expected much higher orders per capita from Australia.

After there are a couple of thousand CT units roaming around Idaho and Wyoming it may become to seem normal. And therefore more palatable to traditional pickup buyers. Or it could end up more like a Prius. Iconic and selling well for what it is but never entering mainstream status and influencing overall vehicle design. It is impossible to know for sure how history will judge to the CT design.
I agree with your assessment. But I think that in addition to the chance that tastes might evolve as the Cybertruck starts roaming the streets, Tesla is also likely to evolve the design over the years ahead.

We’ve all seen different renderings that make the Cybertruck more traditionally attractive with just a few tweaks.

The current demand seems more than sufficient to absorb the next several years’ potential supply. As Tesla is able to ramp supply to meet mainstream volumes, there is plenty of time to adapt to mainstream tastes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Is there a forum that is a good example?

We’ll see. It seems there is way more buzz in Nebraska certainly than anything Tesla has done before. 2 people I know plan on buying it. That isn’t saying much but I’m the only one I know with a model 3 and nobody else had even reserved it. I don’t remember anyone here even noticing the Model Y launch but everyone has brought up the Truck. But... we are talking wealthy suburban people who would only really use it as a family vehicle.

I've done a bit of googling. My general take is:
  • By far, most people at "general" truck forums don't like it because of the looks (and/or don't believe the specs), although some small fraction does. You also get the random bit of misinformation about EVs by EV-haters, balanced out with those who want an EV truck but don't like the current offerings (such as liking Tesla's specs/price points but not the style, inverse for say Rivian), and are hoping that someone like Ford or GM will sweep in with some conventional-looking cheap superpowered electric truck.
  • Offroading forums seem to like the Cybertruck more than general truck forums. Still usually more negative, but closer balanced.
  • The rate of liking it has increased over time, although is still negative, particularly at general truck forums
  • The sort of people who hang out a truck forums no more represent the average truck buyer than we here represent the average Tesla buyer (e.g., there seems to be a rapidly-approaching-100% take rate in this thread... anyone think that this will happen among Tesla owners in general? ;) ). But, just as we can be taken as a "more extreme take" on what the general Tesla owner thinks, I'd take the sort of people who hang out at truck and offroading forums as a "more extreme take" of their broader markets.

Also an open question how you park at the supercharger stall while towing a trailer...
I think most CT owners that plan to tow frequently will benefit from FSD:
  1. pull up where you want to drop the trailer
  2. hop out of cab and start the app on your phone
  3. manually extend trailer foot; unplug electrics; disconnect safety chains
  4. FSD sees you in rear camera to monitor safety throughout
  5. CT squats rear suspension until trailer foot is taking its full weight
  6. unlatch the trailer ball safety hasp and tap the app when ready
  7. stand back while FSD moves CT fwd away from hitch
  8. FSD drives itself to park at SuC stall
  9. walk over and plug in the charging cable
  10. reverse the process to hookup again
All the above assumes there is no 'Pull-In/Through' SuC stall available (usually at least one per site).

Cheers!

The Dubai police may have pre-ordered a Cybertruck — Tesla's recently revealed futuristic-looking electric vehicle — after tweeting a mock-up of one in their livery.

The law-enforcement organisation is famous for its fleet of fancy cars — brands represented among which include Aston Martin, Bentley, Buggati and Porsche.

21540806-0-The_Dubai_police_may_have_pre_ordered_a_Cybertruck_Tesla_s_recen-a-95_1574873797791.jpg

Tesla's CYBERTRUCK could be the next addition to the Dubai police force's fleet of supercars | Daily Mail Online

The pass-through would also need a locking mechanism, otherwise someone could shimmy into your truck through it if you kept the tonneau cover open.

Cool idea, but not very practical.
I disagree after owning an Avalanche for many years. There were latches on the inside that allowed me to easily turn the bed from 5’ to over 8’. A very nice feature for carrying plywood, 2x4 studs and couches.

While Cybertruck production shouldn't present any big hurdles, it will gobble up a lot of Nevada-made cells.
Cybertruck AWD ($50K version) will have the Raven powertrain from the S/X. Those are 18650 cells from Panasonic in Japan. There is also spare capacity on the S/X line right now, since they are down to 1 shift per day. At least all the powertrain components are available in volume now.

All Tesla needs is another tent somewhere near the Fremont factory grounds, a laser cutter, metal brake and some used welding robots and they can start production in the third week of December... :p

Yeah, tongue in cheek, but I think at least the AWD (and RWD soon after) can enter production MUCH quicker than everyone imagines. That's why the 'weird' polygonal design was deemed neccesary. It's be YEARS faster than waiting for the metal casting machine that Tesla intends to use to mass produce stainless steel 1-piece exoskeleton truck bodys. :eek:

tesla-goes-patent-crazy-with-huge-casting-machine-for-model-y.jpg

Yes, you read that right. That's what the 'huge casting machine' is for, not for Model Y bodies, which were always going to be conventional stamped mild steel and aluminum. Detroit doesn't have a single clue as to how much peril their businesses are in right now.

Since Elon's confirmed that SpaceX/Tesla are sharing costs of a steel foundry for making their own custom alloy of stainless steel, the last piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. Next gen trucks will have stainless steel 1-piece cast bodies; all the advantages of curved panels but no stamping required to form the compound curves.

But faceted Cybertruck goes to market ASAP. Elon's has a new mantra about timelines:

"If its tight its right; if its long its wrong"​

Cheers!

Hmm. Since people here are liking the style, I'm increasingly curious about what a "minimal drag impact" "cyberization" of the Model 3 would look like. E.g. keeping things smooth where it matters, going angular where you can get away with it (for example, in the rear wake), and blending the two styles together in a hybrid retro/neo futurism mix.

Anyone have a 3d model of the Model 3 and a bit of time on their hands? ;)

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-1.08.19-PM.jpg

Cybertruck AWD ($50K version) will have the Raven powertrain from the S/X. Those are 18650 cells from Panasonic in Japan.

Are you sure about that? The presentation specifically stated that all versions of Cybertruck would be able to charge at 250+kw.

Or are you saying that the limitation in the S/X from charging at 250+kw is not associated with the batteries, but something else?

Or, don't drop the trailer, pull it down the highway, add a bunch of these

teslacharger.jpg

and you never have to stop for a charge!
If they'd just make it so the charger would UNPLUG when you release it from the car that would be half the battle for minimal cost... an elastic or spring to retract and lift the unplugged cable out of the way and leave it high and dry maybe. As a wheelchair guy who has to wait for somebody to unplug the charger for me when I get bottled in at the supercharger because I'm trapped with not enough room for my wheelchair so not being able to get out and squeeze between the cars to get in my chair and unplug it myself, it would make life easier and help me vacate the charger stall faster after I'm charged.

Last edited:
I don't know where this idea that the Cybertruck is practically indestructible came from. If one hits a moose, elk or large deer at 65-75 mph with a Cybertruck, I'm pretty sure it will be totaled. But, yeah, the general toughness in the face of door dings, hail, shopping carts and the like is a *huge* benefit. I think a steel key would probably still be capable of putting a nice scratch in the door but you could probably just buff it out with some rubbing compound.

This is important from an investment perspective because it will make the truck that much more desirable (high demand).
It would be interesting to see some tests with moose and deer dummies. My thought is that the moose would go up and over the window so that the passengers would still be protected. Deer would just hit the front and crumple the crumple zone.

My read is that traditional truck buyers are 90% against and 10% in favor of CT design. Not a lot of undecideds.
But those are from the first impressions. Everyone needs a bit of time to "get over" a new design. In two years, the percentages will be quite different.

That is the Group Think in the pro Tesla echo chamber.

I don't read any nonsense from the Seeking Alpha TSLAQ crowd either.

But I do like to visit truck forums, conservative political forums, hunting forums to see what the "other" side is thinking. It is overwhelmingly but not 100% negative.

Of course postings,videos, and even $100 deposits don't matter.

What matters is sales in the future.

Nobody really knows.

I spoke to 7 conservatives (most own pickups) in West Michigan, all but one loves the truck. But that is anecdotal. That’s true nobody really knows right now. But the comments on the more recent trending CT videos often say the same thing of “at first I hated it but now I love it and ordered”. Including conservatives. The pickup truck forums are probably going to be the last to switch over because of fear of being harassed by fellow owners. Just like here. The slightly more neutral ground is YouTube CT videos.

When the people that you are talking about see their buddies pull up in a more capable and tougher truck than their own “princess wagon” as KarenRei puts it, this will have an influence.

Last edited:
Cybertruck AWD ($50K version) will have the Raven powertrain from the S/X. Those are 18650 cells from Panasonic in Japan. There is also spare capacity on the S/X line right now, since they are down to 1 shift per day. At least all the powertrain components are available in volume now.

All Tesla needs is another tent somewhere near the Fremont factory grounds, a laser cutter, metal brake and some used welding robots and they can start production in the third week of December... :p

Yeah, tongue in cheek, but I think at least the AWD (and RWD soon after) can enter production MUCH quicker than everyone imagines. That's why the 'weird' polygonal design was deemed neccesary. It's be YEARS faster than waiting for the metal casting machine that Tesla intends to use to mass produce stainless steel 1-piece exoskeleton truck bodys. :eek:

View attachment 482406

Yes, you read that right. That's what the 'huge casting machine' is for, not for Model Y bodies, which were always going to be conventional stamped mild steel and aluminum. Detroit doesn't have a single clue as to how much peril their businesses are in right now.

Since Elon's confirmed that SpaceX/Tesla are sharing costs of a steel foundry for making their own custom alloy of stainless steel, the last piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. Next gen trucks will have stainless steel 1-piece cast bodies; all the advantages of curved panels but no stamping required to form the compound curves.

But faceted Cybertruck goes to market ASAP. Elon's has a new mantra about timelines:

"If its tight its right; if its long its wrong"​

Cheers!

It wouldn't be exactly the same though since you can't make cold rolled stainless from a casting. Strength and hardness could be cut in half resulting is thicker/ heavier walls. That said, they could go stainless on the vehicle lines for longevity.