Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a leaf with no ultrasonics but it has Birds Eye camera view. I’d take the Birds Eye camera over USS any day.
We have Leaf too. The bird's eye camera is useless. The Tesla's backup camera is far more useful in parking. I've never used parking assistance because the Tesla is so easy to park.

?! That list misses what is IMO the biggest one of them all - Bidirectional charging! Heck for that matter, does the Rivian even have a 240v outlet?

Based on this spreadsheet, it doesn't seem like the Rivian has a 240v outlet.

View attachment 996546
And the Rivian looks like it was taken right out of a Disney Cars movie. I'll take the Beast over the clown truck. Everybody has their own preferences.

The Jason talk said the pack is four 200V modules
200V is around 50 cells
4x48x7 = 1,344 and 201.6 V @ 4.2 (x4)
Tesla uses 3.7 V nominal, not 4.2 V. 110S Plaid shows as 410 V, 96S 3/Y show as 360V, etc. Your 48S would only be 180V per module.
Side note: I'm surprised to hear them say 4 modules, I thought the point of structural pack was to eliminate modules.
Oh!, Maybe 1,366 includes the low voltage battery?
1366 = 1344 + 22
22 = 11S x 2P
11 * 4.2=46.2V
Aren't their LV batts LFP?

EPA filings show Cybertruck is 816V. So 220S, split into two 110S virtual packs for Supercharging on existing 400V equipment. Needless to say, 220S doesn't divide into 1366, 1376 or 13-anything-6.

EPA filings also show 150 Ah. That's 122.4 kW by simple multiplication. But simple multiplication gives us 105 kWh for Plaid (410 V * 256 Ah), 84 kWh for 3/Y-LR, etc. So CT usable may be closer to 115 kWh. 340 miles from 115 kWh is impressive efficiency. These filings are incomplete, but I'd be surprised to see the 816 V or 150 Ah change.

Something odd I noticed when looking up the Y-LR EPA filing. Y-P and Y-AWD are also in that same filing, but they only show one set of values for pack size -- 360 V and 235 Ah. That obviously doesn't apply to Y-AWD, which can't be 96S and certainly doesn't have anywhere near 84 kWh. I don't know if it's just an oversight or if they slipped that in there to hide 4680 data from the public. The actual test data, 92 kWh AC recharge for LR and 76.5 kWh for AWD, are consistent with commonly reported usable pack capacities of 81 kWh for LR and 67.5 kWh for the 4680 AWD.

67.5 kWh / 828 cells is 81.5 Wh per single 4680 cell. CT is supposed to have the upgraded 4680, of course, so maybe 88-90 Wh/cell. 220S6P would be 1320 cells and 116-119 kWh usable.

Tesla uses 3.7 V nominal, not 4.2 V. 110S Plaid shows as 410 V, 96S 3/Y show as 360V, etc. Your 48S would only be 180V per module.
Side note: I'm surprised to hear them say 4 modules, I thought the point of structural pack was to eliminate modules.

Aren't their LV batts LFP?

EPA filings show Cybertruck is 816V. So 220S, split into two 110S virtual packs for Supercharging on existing 400V equipment. Needless to say, 220S doesn't divide into 1366, 1376 or 13-anything-6.

EPA filings also show 150 Ah. That's 122.4 kW by simple multiplication. But simple multiplication gives us 105 kWh for Plaid (410 V * 256 Ah), 84 kWh for 3/Y-LR, etc. So CT usable may be closer to 115 kWh. 340 miles from 115 kWh is impressive efficiency. These filings are incomplete, but I'd be surprised to see the 816 V or 150 Ah change.

Something odd I noticed when looking up the Y-LR EPA filing. Y-P and Y-AWD are also in that same filing, but they only show one set of values for pack size -- 360 V and 235 Ah. That obviously doesn't apply to Y-AWD, which can't be 96S and certainly doesn't have anywhere near 84 kWh. I don't know if it's just an oversight or if they slipped that in there to hide 4680 data from the public. The actual test data, 92 kWh AC recharge for LR and 76.5 kWh for AWD, are consistent with commonly reported usable pack capacities of 81 kWh for LR and 67.5 kWh for the 4680 AWD.

67.5 kWh / 828 cells is 81.5 Wh per single 4680 cell. CT is supposed to have the upgraded 4680, of course, so maybe 88-90 Wh/cell. 220S6P would be 1320 cells and 116-119 kWh usable.
Yeah, I totally goofed the cell voltage assumption.

The structural Y is also 4 'modules', but they don't have individual housings.
SmartSelect_20231205_105643_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231205_105532_Firefox.jpg

Yeah, current LV are LFP prismatic, but I don't see an LV in the tour images and steer by wire puts a lot more load on it (especially in the event of a pack failure). Could be though.

Reactions: madodel
Serious UI question:

Has anyone information on the Cybertruck’s UI; things like the number and type of “drive modes,”. (I.e., gauges, pitch, roll, etc,). I’ve attached some screenshots from my Rivian. Would love to see a comparison. Rivian drive modes continue to expand with time. Currently there are over 13 with various sub adjustments.

IMG_9885.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

IMG_9888.jpeg

IMG_9887.jpeg

IMG_9887.jpeg

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • 1701793829516.jpeg
    1701793829516.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a Rivian R1T; it does not have a 240v plug - however, Rivian says an update/hardware is coming to use the truck's pack as a house backup. When, who knows. Same for the Cybertruck. Both companies are saying their trucks will unlock this, but yet nothing real hardware wise exists (for other brand). It's also not clear what the true of cost this feature will be as neither company has "priced" or even "shown" the hardware that will be required on the house side.

If you Google the matter, several articles pop up. Here's an excerpt from two of of them -

"Now, Rivian is a unique car company in many ways, but its willingness to answer questions from owners (and prospective buyers) is one of its greatest assets. Last week, in response to a Reddit thread of questions, the company claimed that every vehicle it’s built has the proper hardware for this kind of two-way charging — the trucks just need a software update to make the hardware work. That’s it.

If Rivian’s representatives are to be believed, it’ll be a victory for Rivian owners who have had to endure the harsh, mocking glares of Ford Lightning owners for too long. No longer will they be looked down upon by the Blue Oval owners, and instead can look them in the eyes, confident as an upstart with one-way-charging-only EVs."

"Rivian confirmed in April 2022 to TechCrunch that its existing vehicles (both the R1T and R1S) already have the capability to feed power back into a house and other EVs. Yesterday, a Rivian spokesperson confirmed in a Reddit post that the company intends to not only update existing vehicles to make use of its V2H hardware, but Rivian also won't use a proprietary connection system once standards become available. This means that once there are standards in place, you won't need a Rivian-specific home system for it to work. As of now, there is no existing timeframe for when the standards are available or when Rivian intends to update its vehicles."

Note: Rivian/RJ is/are willing to answer questions. We all know Tesla/Elon is/are just the opposite. I know, I know..... "Never let the facts ruin a good story," right?.
Who is this STUtoday that silently downvotes factual posts. Has anyone seen an actual post from this person? 🤣

I just watched a video, one that included and interior and UI overview….. There is no rear view mirror, none - not even a digital/screen one. Zero. What you get it a tiny window that pops up on the main display, like you get when signaling (blind spot monitoring).

How can this pass US regulations?! What I saw in that video was an absolute abomination!

I just watched a video, one that included and interior and UI overview….. There is no rear view mirror, none - not even a digital/screen one. Zero. What you get it a tiny window that pops up on the main display, like you get when signaling (blind spot monitoring).

How can this pass US regulations?! What I saw in that video was an absolute abomination!
That video is the rearview mirror. You can move it to the map portion to make it larger.

Not sure how that wouldn't pass.

Obviously the rear view mirror in the CT is only good for when the Tonneau cover is up...otherwise you will need to look at the digital display on the screen. Not sure what US regulations you are referring to?

You can press the camera icon and get the large rear view camera, just the same as any other Tesla.

Obviously the rear view mirror in the CT is only good for when the Tonneau cover is up...otherwise you will need to look at the digital display on the screen. Not sure what US regulations you are referring to?
There is no rearview mirror in the CT. Regs wise, same ones that forced Tesla to put those ugly triangle side mirrors on the truck.

There is no rearview mirror in the CT. Regs wise, same ones that forced Tesla to put those ugly triangle side mirrors on the truck.
Wrong. It comes with one that can be removed. (And likely was removed from some of the demo trucks.)

1701809168214.png

Just like side view mirrors are required to be installed from that factory, but can be removed in most states. (Tesla has said that they were designed to be easily removable, which means they likely don't have antennas in them like other Teslas have in the past.)

I do not believe that is accurate. Do you have any facts and data to substantiate? How would you even see, using a rearview mirror, with the tonneau closed?!
You wouldn't, which is why Tesla provides a rear view camera feed on the screen. Just like you can't see out of the back of a loaded pickup truck, or one with a canopy that doesn't have a window in the back door.