Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It amazes me how many Tesla owners still are so stubborn. Tesla is a software company and you're doubting that they improve their cars via software updates....smh

The 240 to 250 range increase is separate from the "5% power increase". Power is not range. And its not all models. Model 3 gets 5% and S/X get 3%. Its very clear in the wording.

Its crazy how much misinformation is spread even by current owners.

"I forgot to mention, we’re also expecting there’s going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That’s, by the way, coming in a few weeks. It should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware."

"Tesla VP of technology Drew Baglino said that they have found ways to optimize the motor control, and it should result in about “5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for Model S and Model X” customers."

It amazes me how many Tesla owners still are so stubborn. Tesla is a software company and you're doubting that they improve their cars via software updates....smh

The 240 to 250 range increase is separate from the "5% power increase". Power is not range. And its not all models. Model 3 gets 5% and S/X get 3%. Its very clear in the wording.

Its crazy how much misinformation is spread even by current owners.

"I forgot to mention, we’re also expecting there’s going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That’s, by the way, coming in a few weeks. It should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware."

"Tesla VP of technology Drew Baglino said that they have found ways to optimize the motor control, and it should result in about “5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for Model S and Model X” customers."
Yeah. Elon utters (or tweets) a sentence or two, and then the fora spend hours and days divining the full meaning. This is akin to guessing. ;)

POWER IS NOT RANGE

THIS IS A 5% INCREASE IN POWER

See my post above ;)

Tesletter on Twitter
T☰SLA Mania on Twitter

hY6HOy7.jpg

BF0GbB6.jpg

2Rs3QDe.jpg
Interesting screen shots from 12.4!

Folks have been asking for departure-based charging for a long time.

I didn't see Automatic Navigation coming! Hmm.

Hey, Chinese/English bilingual members: What does it say under Stop Mode? Something about friction brakes to allow full one-pedal driving?

I think you're missing my point. I love the continual improvements; I love having a software-defined car; and most of all, I LOVE that they continue to find ways to make my car better, for years, at no additional cost. Those are all magnificent!

For me, I mean that I won't notice 5% more torque or peak power. I don't drive like a dipwad, don't jackrabbit off the line, and generally stay within a few mph of speed limits. I don't come close to maximum torque or peak power now, so pushing those lines out a bit won't be noticeable. If it means that I'll get a little more range, well, cool - but very similar thing applies; I don't usually come close to using all the range now. But if I had the choice of "10 miles additional range" or "5% more peak power at the wheels" -- I'd choose the extra range. Just me.

Believe me, no complaint... and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth at all! Just saying, I won't notice this one, that's all. :)

Interesting.

I believe its impossible to build a single car for everyone.

I jackrabbit off the line whenever I'm alone. Yes indeed I do. Every time. I will notice it.

Now....everyone who doesn't jackrabbit off the line is just fine with me.

It was very clear from the wording in the earnings call that the range and power were separate things, and now you can see that in the change logs. The threads about power needlessly getting merged into this one about range by the admins probably only added to the confusion further. Sorry admins, I love you but that one was a misstep.

TLDR:
We get 5% more power and an unspecified but likely small amount of range increase from regen improvements as well.

Power *is* range if that power output is gained with the same power draw from the battery as before.

If you add 5% power throughout the whole range of speeds by drawing more from the battery, your range will stay flat (if we adjust the throttle to compensate) or go down.

If you were to add 5% power through efficiency gains without increasing draw from the battery, you've in effect created a range increase.

That scheduled departure seems great but what about being able to adjust the peak rate time and not just finish charging at 6am? Some places the peak starts at 7am and for me it starts at 8am. My battery could be conditioned better if I was allowed to adjust the peak time to 8am and my departure time at 7:20am (when i leave each morning). As it stands now it sounds like my charging will be done by 6am and not 7:20am

That scheduled departure seems great but what about being able to adjust the peak rate time and not just finish charging at 6am? Some places the peak starts at 7am and for me it starts at 8am. My battery could be conditioned better if I was allowed to adjust the peak time to 8am and my departure time at 7:20am (when i leave each morning). As it stands now it sounds like my charging will be done by 6am and not 7:20am

Yes, I'm wondering about this as well, since I do not have tiered rates.

So, can I not have it finish charging any time after 6AM? That seems like a limited number of people that want the car to finish before 6AM...

Reactions: APotatoGod
Interesting screen shots from 12.4!

Folks have been asking for departure-based charging for a long time.

I didn't see Automatic Navigation coming! Hmm.

Hey, Chinese/English bilingual members: What does it say under Stop Mode? Something about friction brakes to allow full one-pedal driving?
It's adding a 'maintain' mode in Stop mode. it allows regen at low speed <5 mph. it will enter 'hold' when it stops.

That scheduled departure seems great but what about being able to adjust the peak rate time and not just finish charging at 6am? Some places the peak starts at 7am and for me it starts at 8am.

5 AM for me- so yeah hopefully that's adjustable too.

Though I suppose at that point I wouldn't get anything out of the feature if I'm not leaving till 8 anyway?

Reactions: APotatoGod

Yeah, if I leave at 7 am, I don't want it to stop charging by 6 am or the battery will be cooled down and regen will suffer. Our off-peak time ends at 9 am so hopefully it will be adjustable.

Also, I wish there was the option not to precondition the cabin. I rarely need to use heat in the winter so I don't want the car heating the cabin when I'm not even in the car. Also, they don't take into account people who don't work M-F schedules. They could solve both issues by listing the days of the week and having checkboxes which allow the driver to select which days (if any) they want preconditioning.

Why haven't I seen this on the forum yet? Or am I blind? Or is this fake news?
Tesla plans to increase vehicle power, range, and charging through new software update - Electrek[
This is quite confusing, can you really change the range of the car by just doing some software tweaking?

If it's about re-gen, I can imagine that you might experience some range increase in city driving,
but I doubt this could have any noticeable effect when cruising on a Higway?

When looking at ICE mileage, there are City, Higway, and Combined values.

For an EV, when converting the Battery State of Charge (or % of charge) into EV Total Range,
I wonder if it would be more accurate to provide an estimated:
  • EV City Range
  • EV Higway range
Note: EV manufactures are not explicitly describing the given range values.

For example the Model 3 has 310 miles for both the LR AWD 18" Aero Wheels and the Perfornance 20" Performance wheels.
Also is it a 100% to 0% battery state of charge estimated total range and at what speed?

It would be nicer to have a more realistic range for: Speed of 65 m per hour and State of charge 90% to 10%.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I just found another thread that mentioned the range increase.
I'm dumb and cant figure out how to delete this post. lol. Anyway here is a breakdown of most of the changes.

5% power increase for all model 3’s
Range increase for the Long Range models from 310 to 325
Single Pedal driving improvements (maybe stronger regen or no need to use brakes at 5mph)
Supercharging speed increased for SR and SR+​
After getting the V10 update, Bjørn Nyland noticed that the Model 3 lost 6 % battery after software update
It seems that there was an 1% buffer on the top charging, and a 5% on the low charging for protecting the battery?

It seems that the software updates are playing some kind of battery range increase and range decrease game,
or I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting someting?