Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting the V10 update, Bjørn Nyland noticed that the Model 3 lost 6 % battery after software update
It seems that there was an 1% buffer on the top charging, and a 5% on the low charging for protecting the battery?

It seems that the software updates are playing some kind of battery range increase and range decrease game,
or I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting someting?

It's still unclear what the degradation in rated range represents. It could be an increase in the buffer or it could be showing the actual degradation of the battery. What is clear is that there was a software change in the way the BMS calculates range in 2019.32.x.x series of releases.

Reactions: Watts_Up
This is quite confusing, can you really change the range of the car by just doing some software tweaking?

If it's about re-gen, I can imagine that you might experience some range increase in city driving,
but I doubt this could have any noticeable effect when cruising on a Higway?
It could be any number of factors. Maybe they're getting better motor/inverter efficiencies via software.

It already enters hold after stopping if you're on an incline or level ground, so I'm confused by that statement.
This appears to do it WITHOUT touching the brake pedal, though. While it will enter hold after stopping with the brake today, if they increased the regen <5 MPH to where it can now stop itself and then automatically apply hold, that is very new and VERY WELCOME!

This appears to do it WITHOUT touching the brake pedal, though. While it will enter hold after stopping with the brake today, if they increased the regen <5 MPH to where it can now stop itself and then automatically apply hold, that is very new and VERY WELCOME!

Regen cannot stop a car. The friction brakes must be used. As the speed approaches zero, so too does the energy that can be recovered via regen. To simulate the same acceleration that is occurring via regen at high speeds (or even to have an appreciable amount), the brakes must be used. All vehicles that have "one pedal driving" are using the friction brakes at low speeds. It's just a physical requirement.

Well, technically, it isn't a requirement. You could stop the car by expending energy (not getting it back), but that would just be asinine.

Regen cannot stop a car. The friction brakes must be used. As the speed approaches zero, so too does the energy that can be recovered via regen. To simulate the same acceleration that is occurring via regen at high speeds (or even to have an appreciable amount), the brakes must be used. All vehicles that have "one pedal driving" are using the friction brakes at low speeds. It's just a physical requirement.

Well, technically, it isn't a requirement. You could stop the car by expending energy (not getting it back), but that would just be asinine.

Regen can't stop a car?

Are you talking about "right now" in version 2019.32.12. ?? ?

Or are you talking about when Tesla did it in 2019.32.12.4?

You might want to write Tesla a note and tell them they didn't do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Common_Loon
I'm talking about physics. The potential energy that can be harvested as rpm approaches zero goes so low (and is obviously zero at no speed) that you can no longer apply significant stopping force. You end up slowing the last little bit from just friction (with the ground, in the drive train, etc). This isn't something that software can magically change. There may be more available than is currently there, I am not sure, but you aren't stopping with regen without making new physics. The friction brakes will always be involved (either manually as it is today, or via software, when they do one-pedal driving) at low speeds.

I'm talking about physics. The potential energy that can be harvested as rpm approaches zero goes so low that you can no longer apply significant stopping force. You end up slowing the last little bit from just friction (with the ground, in the drive train, etc). This isn't something that software can magically change. There may be more available than is currently there, I am not sure, but you aren't stopping with regen without making new physics. The friction brakes will always be involved (either manually as it is today, or via software, when they do one-pedal driving) at low speeds.

Right it approaches zero stopping force at zero mph. Other frictions will take over, but that would probably be too slow (to much time to stop). So they are probably going to emulate regen slowing with the brakes as you approach 0 mph. How close, who knows. Switching automatically to hold would be nice too. I might even turn off creep if they did that.