Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen cannot stop a car. The friction brakes must be used. As the speed approaches zero, so too does the energy that can be recovered via regen. To simulate the same acceleration that is occurring via regen at high speeds (or even to have an appreciable amount), the brakes must be used. All vehicles that have "one pedal driving" are using the friction brakes at low speeds. It's just a physical requirement.

Well, technically, it isn't a requirement. You could stop the car by expending energy (not getting it back), but that would just be asinine.

How exactly is it asinine for the last few mph? I can't imagine it's expending much energy to apply the physical brakes as you would already do yourself.

I'm talking about physics. The potential energy that can be harvested as rpm approaches zero goes so low (and is obviously zero at no speed) that you can no longer apply significant stopping force. You end up slowing the last little bit from just friction (with the ground, in the drive train, etc). This isn't something that software can magically change. There may be more available than is currently there, I am not sure, but you aren't stopping with regen without making new physics. The friction brakes will always be involved (either manually as it is today, or via software, when they do one-pedal driving) at low speeds.

Right it approaches zero stopping force at zero mph. Other frictions will take over, but that would probably be too slow (to much time to stop). So they are probably going to emulate regen slowing with the brakes as you approach 0 mph. How close, who knows. Switching automatically to hold would be nice too. I might even turn off creep if they did that.

The car will come to a complete stop without us having to hit the brakes at all.

Good enough for me.

Geesh….its doing it in autopilot right now in stop-and-go traffic.

Is it a matter of what they are calling it? Is the problem that they are underlining the function under the word Regen? Is that the problem?

After getting the V10 update, Bjørn Nyland noticed that the Model 3 lost 6 % battery after software update
It seems that there was an 1% buffer on the top charging, and a 5% on the low charging for protecting the battery?

It seems that the software updates are playing some kind of battery range increase and range decrease game,
or I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting someting?
Possibly they put some of the “sand” they took took out of the bag.... back into usable capacity.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and Watts_Up
How exactly is it asinine for the last few mph? I can't imagine it's expending much energy to apply the physical brakes as you would already do yourself.

It would be asinine to run a reverse current through the motor to stop the car instead of using the brakes because that's a waste of energy compared to applying the brakes, hence my "it's possible to do without the brakes, but that's asinine". It would require the same thing as when you shift from R to D while not yet stopped, and the throttle stops the car. That takes more energy than just squeezing the brakes, that's why it would be silly and a waste.

You misunderstood what I meant. The car applying the brakes is the correct way. I just meant it *could* do it without by wasting energy. It would still have to apply the brakes to hold it stopped anyway though.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The car will come to a complete stop without us having to hit the brakes at all.

Good enough for me.

Geesh….its doing it in autopilot right now in stop-and-go traffic.

Is it a matter of what they are calling it? Is the problem that they are underlining the function under the word Regen? Is that the problem?

The car is still using the brakes. That's the whole point. Some folks are confused and think that regen can stop the car, but that requires braking. Whether a human or a computer applies them makes no difference, it's still the brakes and not regen at that point.

Right it approaches zero stopping force at zero mph. Other frictions will take over, but that would probably be too slow (to much time to stop). So they are probably going to emulate regen slowing with the brakes as you approach 0 mph. How close, who knows. Switching automatically to hold would be nice too. I might even turn off creep if they did that.

there is no reason 'regen' under a certain speed cannot apply reverse power enough to stop the car like brakes but without using the brakes. Kind of like how airplanes brake on landing. Guessing this is what they are doing, sending a little bit of reverse current to the motors under say 5mph in a controlled manner (via actual speed feedback) until the car stops. In theory 'hold' could also use the same technique to 'balance' around 0mph and resist movement (ie. push the car and it pushes back).

come to think of it does autopilot even ever really apply the brakes unless it's an emergency situation? i believe it just uses the motors to brake.

The car is still using the brakes. That's the whole point. Some folks are confused and think that regen can stop the car, but that requires braking. Whether a human or a computer applies them makes no difference, it's still the brakes and not regen at that point.

It really doesn't matter what stops the car.

It really doesn't matter if people are confused or not.

The function will work. <---- that's the ultimate point.

Reactions: phantasms and JBT66
there is no reason 'regen' under a certain speed cannot apply reverse power enough to stop the car like brakes but without using the brakes.

Other than doing is is inefficient and stupid compared to using the friction brakes (which is exactly how they already do this exact thing when using TACC)? Nope, no reason at all.

t
come to think of it does autopilot even ever really apply the brakes unless it's an emergency situation? i believe it just uses the motors to brake.

Then your belief is mistaken.

You can actually see/feel the brake pedal move if you're paying attention to it.

I don't mind having to push the brakes to stop, but it would be nice if they utilized friction brakes automatically when regen is limited so that the driving experience still feels the same as if there was full regen when it is cold, or you are at a high SOC
I agree, it would be a good quality of life improvement if drivers didn’t have to adapt to the varying available regen at any given SoC/temp/speed.

I don’t really care how the car comes to a stop via one pedal. That’s for the engineers to solve. I’ll just be glad it does. People spend so much time bickering on this forum over pointless things.

You can say what you want but the supplied reference says otherwise, and there are other sources on the web that say the same thing, HW3 uses less power.

This has been discussed before. The actual numbers state otherwise:

“Notably, Tesla says this silicon, with its twin neural network arrays capable of 36 trillion operations per second (each), will only cost the company 80 percent of what it was paying before for that 21x performance gain, and draw little enough additional wattage (72W, vs. 57W) that it can continue to promise the same range out of each car and without impacting the cost.”

Tesla’s new self-driving chip is here, and this is your best look yet