Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of misinformed posts.
We don’t even know the full details of how they’re implementing the 5% additional. Heck, we don’t even know for sure if it’s 5% increase in Tq or HP, or both. 5% more Tq will likely help shave about 0.1s on the 0-60 at best. 5% more HP will likely only make a difference on the trap. Either way, there will be a bigger effect in your head than on the butt.

Last time they did this they did increase torque by about 5% all the way up. You can search for posts documenting it in March or thereabouts.

That 5% torque and HP improvement led to an improvement of about 0.1 seconds in 0-60 time so if it is a similar increase in torque and HP I would expect a similar reduction to close to 3 seconds flat.

If it is just power increase with no torque increase, it will only make a difference above ~45mph so will have little effect on 0-60 time as you say.

A lot of misinformed posts.
We don’t even know the full details of how they’re implementing the 5% additional. Heck, we don’t even know for sure if it’s 5% increase in Tq or HP, or both. 5% more Tq will likely help shave about 0.1s on the 0-60 at best. 5% more HP will likely only make a difference on the trap. Either way, there will be a bigger effect in your head than on the butt.

It's an electric motor, not an air breathing internal combustion engine. You don't have to trade peak torque for the ability to maintain torque across the rev range to produce high HP. There's no transmission here letting you rev the motor higher to get more HP without a torque increase.

If it's a 5% HP bump, that's going to be from a 5% torque bump somewhere or possibly everywhere in the rev range.

You don't have to trade peak torque for the ability to maintain torque across the rev range to produce high HP. There's no transmission here letting you rev the motor higher to get more HP without a peak torque increase.

If it's a 5% HP bump, that's going to be from a 5% torque bump somewhere or possibly everywhere in the rev range.

If it were only a battery power and/or efficiency enhancement (meaning less heat for the same power), they could only increase torque (meaning keep it flat to a higher RPM) above 45mph. That would mean more power draw from the battery and higher peak HP, but no increase in peak torque. (For sure there will be an increase in torque somewhere, so yes that is a “5% torque bump,” but does not necessarily need to be an increase in peak torque.)

That being said, last time they did increase torque all the way up and kept the knee at about the same motor RPM (so also a higher peak HP). So we hope they do the same again and they have not reached the torque limits of the drivetrain.

And hopefully they’ll also be able to maintain the power boost (%-wise) to much higher speeds as well, and it doesn’t just drop off faster than it already does.

Last edited:
Last time they raised the voltage, which only increased power where it used to max out. if that happens again, the gains will be after 60 mph.

so peak hp and torque can be increased without any gains in 0-60 times.

image.png

Last time they raised the voltage, which only increased power where it used to max out. if that happens again, the gains will be after 60 mph.

View attachment 469484
That’s true but last time it was communicated as a peak power % upgrade. This time they left peak out (so far) which is why we can speculate on this six ways to Sunday for now. Hopefully the intense customer interest in this will yield some details from Tesla in the next few days.

View attachment 469484

It looks like this completely contradicts my instrumented data and @SleeperService accelerometer derived data from the last update. (Our data was from Performance vehicles and that looks like AWD but qualitatively they were similar changes from what recall.)

Power (and torque) at a given speed was increased all the way up.

What is the source for this chart?

5% increase in power

P3D+ Acceleration

I suppose your plot is simply a plot of battery power, though - that may be the explanation. That plot does not take into account conversion efficiency improvements at maximum torque output that may have been done last time - so looking at battery output power changes alone does not tell you necessarily what happened to the torque and HP curves.

The picture of what happened there last time is pretty clear from the above two links.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
I’m all for improvements ... but to be honest ... 5% more torque or peak power doesn’t mean squat to me. Last thing I think my LR AWD needs is more power. If they’d let me choose a “conservation” mode for extra range, or a “Tim Allen” mode for more power, I’d love that toggle.

5% higher peak power does mean more range. If your average driving behavior remains constant, it just became 5% easier for your motors to achieve that. Hence the bump from 240 mile to 250 mile EPA range for the SR+.

The range increase sounds like it is coming from regen improvements.

"Elon Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director
Yeah, and there's also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

Drew Baglino -- Chief Technology Officer
Very excited about that. It's an improvement in comfort and feel.

Elon Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director
Yeah, it's easier to drive. And it improves the range."

I’m all for improvements ... but to be honest ... 5% more torque or peak power doesn’t mean squat to me. Last thing I think my LR AWD needs is more power. If they’d let me choose a “conservation” mode for extra range, or a “Tim Allen” mode for more power, I’d love that toggle.

5% more torque or peak power means a TON to me.

Especially for FREE!!!

I mean....what other car manufacturer gives you more for your money AFTER the purchase. Forget the fact that its a power increase....just the simple fact that your car improves in performance AFTER purchase is phenomenal.

Everyone has to enjoy that fact unless you are just some kind of "mad at the world" crazy person.

It looks like this completely contradicts my instrumented data and @SleeperService accelerometer derived data from the last update. (Our data was from Performance vehicles and that looks like AWD but qualitatively they were similar changes from what recall.)

Power (and torque) at a given speed was increased all the way up.

What is the source for this chart?

5% increase in power

P3D+ Acceleration

I suppose your plot is simply a plot of battery power, though - that may be the explanation. That plot does not take into account conversion efficiency improvements at maximum torque output that may have been done last time - so looking at battery output power changes alone does not tell you necessarily what happened to the torque and HP curves.

The picture of what happened there last time is pretty clear from the above two links.
The chart was compiled by Wugz who was hyper pinging the API to gather that data if I recalled correctly.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life