Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Tesla Models will get Range/Power increase (not just SR+) of 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Regen already exist, the *hopefully* next logical step would be continuing regen to a complete stop.

If it goes to a stop it is using the brakes and isn't regening anymore. The effectiveness of regen drops massively as the motor speed slows. You can't get much power at all out of it at super low rpm (which is why it feels like regen isn't working anymore).

Because Regen already exist, the *hopefully* next logical step would be continuing regen to a complete stop.

That would be nice, but I think physics will get in the way. Regen is less effective the slower the car is moving. Except in the case where you let rolling resistance or road gradient bring the car to a stop (rare), you will always probably need a slight amount of regular braking.

Reactions: ElectricEel
5% range increase? 5% power increase was mentioned on the call but it may have been in the context of efficiency and not horsepower. Unclear to me since they then go on to discuss improved range from the full regen to a stop. Start at 1:54. Also faster supercharging for SR.
Oh I hope you’re right! I’m like Tim the tool man Taylor, more powaaa! That’s always welcome!

edit just watched and I agree. Sounds like ~5% more power, and then increased range with improved single pedal drivability. I believe it’s two separate topics.

If it goes to a stop it is using the brakes and isn't regening anymore. The effectiveness of regen drops massively as the motor speed slows. You can't get much power at all out of it at super low rpm (which is why it feels like regen isn't working anymore).

Agreed, I think will be similar to the Leaf, which seamlessly brings the friction brakes into play, as regen drops off in single pedal mode. Though purists May prefer to work the brakes themselves for best efficiency.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Per the Q3 earnings call tonight, there will be another 5% power improvement for all model 3 customers "in a few weeks" due to further optimizations of motor control.

Transcript:

1:54:15 (Elon Musk) - "Oh I forgot to mention we're also expecting there's going to be an over the air improvement..that will improve the power of S,X, and 3. That's oh by the way coming in a few weeks...um should be something on the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?"

1:54:37 (Drew Baglino) - Uh yeah we just continue learn how to optimize motor control in our products, so yeah 5% improvement for all model 3 customers and 3% for our S and X."

Last edited:
based on transcript, 5% power and not range.. some folks are talking about range

Yes. Although Elon/Drew also mentioned there will be an improvement in the single pedal driving that will also improve the range and comfort/feel. But they never mentioned a specific number on the range improvement other than saying the base S should be pushing close to 380 miles of range [post firmware update]. So speculatively maybe we'll see ~5 more miles of range with regen improvements for the 3 as well. I'm curious what it's going to be. They also said supercharging will become faster for both the SR and SR+.

Reactions: MelaniainLA