Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All used 75D uncorked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I look at all the used MS 75D all of them report 4.2 sec 0-60. Does that mean all of them are uncorked even the 2016 models which are the ones I am looking at? I know I saw a thread about misleading info and one even said 2016 75Ds can't get the upgrade.

Can you please explain the upgrade process? What models qualify & years?

If I want a used MS with AP2 or > (for the upgrade capability) and <5 sec 0-60 times under $50k what are my options? I was hoping all the 2016 75D models had the upgrade like Tesla reports.

Thank you, I know enough to be dangerous :)

So a bit of a history lesson will illustrate what we don't know.

On July 2017 Tesla announced that it was giving a performance increase to the 75D. It "uncorked" all of the cars yet to be delivered. Now Tesla had made a change to the drive unit and designated it with the code DU00 (or DU01 for the large rear motor) two weeks earlier. But interestingly some of the cars getting uncorked before delivery and in inventory did not have the new rear drive unit. So could Tesla uncork a bunch of the older cars? Why yes - and yes it eventually did. Tesla sent a list out to the service centers and created a way for them (but not you) to check if a car's VIN was eligible. The service center's got good at uncorking them. Most could do it in a few hours, although there were a few that only got half uncorked on the first try. A bigger problem was that some cars got sold advertised with the new faster specs that couldn't be uncorked. Likely some folks missed the idea of uncorking all together and never did it.

How far back could it uncork them and what hardware was required? Did it require the Iconel contactors? Something else? Nobody is sure.

But if you are looking at AP2 2016 cars they can all be uncorked, since AP2 was introduced in the last three months production of 2016. As a bonus you might get leather, alcantera and likely free transferable supercharging. Good choice.

So a bit of a history lesson will illustrate what we don't know.

On July 2017 Tesla announced that it was giving a performance increase to the 75D. It "uncorked" all of the cars yet to be delivered. Now Tesla had made a change to the drive unit and designated it with the code DU00 (or DU01 for the large rear motor) two weeks earlier. But interestingly some of the cars getting uncorked before delivery and in inventory did not have the new rear drive unit. So could Tesla uncork a bunch of the older cars? Why yes - and yes it eventually did. Tesla sent a list out to the service centers and created a way for them (but not you) to check if a car's VIN was eligible. The service center's got good at uncorking them. Most could do it in a few hours, although there were a few that only got half uncorked on the first try. A bigger problem was that some cars got sold advertised with the new faster specs that couldn't be uncorked. Likely some folks missed the idea of uncorking all together and never did it.

How far back could it uncork them and what hardware was required? Did it require the Iconel contactors? Something else? Nobody is sure.

But if you are looking at AP2 2016 cars they can all be uncorked, since AP2 was introduced in the last three months production of 2016. As a bonus you might get leather, alcantera and likely free transferable supercharging. Good choice.

If it's a 75D with AP1 could it be uncorked?

and to the regular 75 cannot be uncorked?

Also, don't take the word of just one service center. On my first try, I was told clearly by both the receptionist and a "technician" that my car absolutely cannot be uncorked. Went to another service center and they happily uncorked it in about 2 hours.

Do you mind sharing with SC did the uncorking and when? I'm also in TX but running into roadblocks when requesting uncorking.

Thanks

Do you mind sharing with SC did the uncorking and when? I'm also in TX but running into roadblocks when requesting uncorking.

Thanks

Sure. Plano Service center told me my car couldn't be uncorked and sent me away to pound sand. Then I made an appointment with Dallas Cedars Service Center where they immediately knew what I was talking about and uncorked it in a few hours.

I posted pics of the service reports from both service centers on another thread around here, mind blowing and sad to see completely opposite results from basically the same company.

Sure. Plano Service center told me my car couldn't be uncorked and sent me away to pound sand. Then I made an appointment with Dallas Cedars Service Center where they immediately knew what I was talking about and uncorked it in a few hours.

I posted pics of the service reports from both service centers on another thread around here, mind blowing and sad to see completely opposite results from basically the same company.

Awesome thank you! I will give them a try, Plano told me to pound sand as well.

I did find this setting:

Perf_Config: Base

Not sure what means since there isnt a P1 or P2.

Thoughts?

Hopefully they understand what I'm asking for, so far no luck with the Plano SC. Once my App is out of service I will request uncorking thru the App and select Dallas for the SC.

I am really hopeful this works!

Thanks

Do you mind sharing how you got in touch with them, did you just schedule service thru the app choosing Cedar Springs as the SC or did you actually call them? I'm not able to get thru, they keep referring me to use the mobile app.

Thank You, appreciate your input.

I found the service reports I was mentioning. They're for the same car, same request by me:

Plano Service Center:
plano.jpg

Dallas Cedars Service Center:
dallas.jpg

I wish there was a way to show this to the manager from Plano, who knows, maybe they could take a look at their techs and their "expertise".

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I found the service reports I was mentioning. They're for the same car, same request by me:

Plano Service Center:
View attachment 556184

Dallas Cedars Service Center:
View attachment 556183

I wish there was a way to show this to the manager from Plano, who knows, maybe they could take a look at their techs and their "expertise".

AWESOME! I am going to print this out and show them!

Cant thank you enough, hopefully this works. If not, I'm going to trade it in for a 2018 model, too bad I just got this one 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if I'm dreaming right now, but I requested the uncorking via the app yesterday. Just about an hour ago I got a txt from a tech, letting me know they could send me a firmware update OTA and get it taken care of now!

So yeah! I'm currently downloading the update and I hope to see 0-60 times drop!

Can this be true?