Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am at a loss: is the $2k FSD offer going away on Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's pretty much 0 chance of getting L5 driving out of HW3 (and the sensor suite currently in tesla cars) so driver jobs are just fine (also likely why Tesla walked back what FSD offers a substantial amount lately).

I think there's a pretty excellent shot at L3/4 on divided highways though, once regulation isn't a mishmash of 50 different sets of state regulations (or lack thereof)... which would honestly be plenty for me as far as value out of FSD.
I’m pretty sure they are making it sound like this is it. The cars will self drive with rhis tech. I am inclined to believe that another upgrade will be required, but this has been one of their big sales points.

Creating specialized hardware to do a single task very quickly doesn't require a breakthrough in technology. Graphics cards do a lot of things that are not related to neural networks, and the programmable architecture that makes graphics cards useful for certain tasks is not the most optimal solution for running a neural network. While a neural network can be run on a graphics card, pretty much every company that is serious about NN is designing their own hardware. So trying to compare the custom chip Tesla has designed to anything from NVIDIA is pointless.
Is neural network another fancy term for graphics card? Apple does this. It’s cheap LCD tech is liquid retina with special color technology and it’s processor is bionic. Special names for the same tech.

It’s still takes a high end graphics card to process tons of data quickly like 8 feeds of HD, a bunch of other sensors, and the computing power to analyze that data and make decisions in real time.

If not, then they must have made some incredible breakthrough. Hopefully Tesla uses their $250 Neural Network machines to mine Bitcoin and take over the world.

It’s still takes a high end graphics card to process tons of data quickly like 8 feeds of HD, a bunch of other sensors, and the computing power to analyze that data and make decisions in real time..
The main job of a graphics card isn't analyzing images, it's creating images, mostly for video games. In principal, Tesla, by targeting the card at analyzing images rather than rendering them, can reduce cost and improve analysis performance. Presumably that's what Tesla has done with their design, although I've not seen any details as to how it works.

Reactions: RyanT
There's pretty much 0 chance of getting L5 driving out of HW3 (and the sensor suite currently in tesla cars) so driver jobs are just fine (also likely why Tesla walked back what FSD offers a substantial amount lately).

I think there's a pretty excellent shot at L3/4 on divided highways though, once regulation isn't a mishmash of 50 different sets of state regulations (or lack thereof)... which would honestly be plenty for me as far as value out of FSD.
I am curious if Tesla could ever get their stuff to be labeled Level 5 if they require driver engagement. With the existing sensor suite I am not sure how they could ge to the point where they do not need human oversight.

Is neural network another fancy term for graphics card? Apple does this. It’s cheap LCD tech is liquid retina with special color technology and it’s processor is bionic. Special names for the same tech.

It’s still takes a high end graphics card to process tons of data quickly like 8 feeds of HD, a bunch of other sensors, and the computing power to analyze that data and make decisions in real time.

If not, then they must have made some incredible breakthrough. Hopefully Tesla uses their $250 Neural Network machines to mine Bitcoin and take over the world.
No, neural network is not a fancy word for graphics card. A Neural Network Primer | Condé Nast Technology

Graphics cards aren't designed to process tons of data quickly. They are designed to generate images. Modern graphics cards just happen to have a lot of fairly fast parallel processing capability that make them a decent option for solving certain problems. They are somewhat generic (meaning can be programmed to solve different types of problems) and relatively cheap.

However, if you are serious about speed then specialized hardware will always be faster than software run on a generic processor. When bitcoin first started people were mining on generic CPUs. Then when bitcoins became more scarce, people moved to graphics cards. But for many years now even graphics cards aren't fast enough; serious bitcoin miners use custom built hardware.

I doubt a neural network processor would be much use in mining bitcoins - despite the fact that both can be run on a GPU there's not much similarity.

So people are THANKING him for increasing the price for others so they’re not butt-hurt?!

What a warped sense of reality.

“You can’t have it for less than me, that’s not fair!!!”

Really.

I’m absolutely, 100% serious - I don’t think I want a Tesla now. Not because of the car, or because of the pricing or any of that.

But because I don’t want to be associated with petulent babies who act like that.

Expecting SuperCruise in the 2020 XT5. Good enough.

Attachments

• 40B1E77C-A84E-4BEF-A3E8-AE5D67E40275.jpeg
    40B1E77C-A84E-4BEF-A3E8-AE5D67E40275.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 173
I bought AP for $2K today. Still mulling over FSD for $3K. The current value proposition for FSD is poor, but it looks like that's where the future action is going to be, and the announced additions for surface street driving do seem interesting. Should I buy now, while its cheap but not worth that much, or wait, and get more but also likely pay more? Decisions, decisions...

In your case paying the full $5k is getting you the initial EAP features too. So you will get advanced summon + NoA and auto Lane change. Others on here who already spent $5k on EAP are not getting any features at this time for spending the extra 2k for FSD.

Reactions: CTreast
Get what you want. I ain't buying an in ICE car in 2020, that's for sure.

I wouldn’t either. But a lease? Sure. I can do another one. That’ll get me by till either the Y, or Cadillac’s electric SUV.

This is seriously one of the most whiny, selfish things I’ve ever seen. Just shaking my head. In what crazy world does it make someone feel better to scorch-earth things for those come who after you?

Reactions: stayfocus18
So people are THANKING him for increasing the price for others so they’re not butt-hurt?!

What a warped sense of reality.

“You can’t have it for less than me, that’s not fair!!!”

Really.

I’m absolutely, 100% serious - I don’t think I want a Tesla now. Not because of the car, or because of the pricing or any of that.

But because I don’t want to be associated with petulent babies who act like that.

Expecting SuperCruise in the 2020 XT5. Good enough.

Are your friggin’ serious? Buy the car you want because YOU want it. This is a chat room that in the grand scheme of things means next to nothing. This is a car, not a lifestyle, not a deity, not a statement about the world. It’s a car. If you dig it, buy it, if your don’t? Don’t. But changing what car you drive because of whether people who drive them comment in a chat room one way or another? Really?? Wow.

I wouldn’t either. But a lease? Sure. I can do another one. That’ll get me by till either the Y, or Cadillac’s electric SUV.

This is seriously one of the most whiny, selfish things I’ve ever seen. Just shaking my head. In what crazy world does it make someone feel better to scorch-earth things for those come who after you?
Of course you’re free to use whatever criteria you want to make decisions, but I have to say that your post looks kinda like its trolling to me. I cannot imagine making a car purchasing decision based on a small but vocal group of people complaining about something that has no relevance to me.