Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I pushing my luck with this setup? NEMA 14-50 on a 100amp panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should be fine with the 14-50.

I have been running a similar setup for over 2 years without a single breaker trip. Although my car only charges at 32 amps instead of 40.
At night, I only have car charging, A/C, Lights, TVs. If you start tripping the main breaker, only then would I start looking at panel upgrades.

My electrician said they can’t put in a single 240v circuit that’s is more than half the service to the house. In my case 125A to house so 60A for my charging circuit, which will only see 32A through UMC, in any case, as others have pointed out. You should be fine, although I’m sure you could pop the main if you put your mind to it.

Humm.. 60A and you use the UMC. So that implies an outlet. Likely a 14-50. If so, there shouldn't be a 60A breaker on a 14-50 outlet. The breaker wouldn't protect the outlet, rated at 50a, from exceeding it's rated current.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My electric panel is 100amps. My house does not have gas, so I have electric oven and dryer. I also have central A/C. My house is a ranch, around 1600 square feet. All of my appliances are recent, so Energy Star. I only have LED bulbs, a few CFLs. Electrician came over and is going to put in a 50amp dual pole breaker so I can put in a NEMA 14-50.

Am I pushing my luck with the load or should I go with a NEMA 14-30. Now mind you, I am most likely going for the Model 3 LR, not the SR+, if that makes any difference. I would charge overnight when neither the dryer nor the oven would be running, but surely the A/C would come on intermittently overnight.

Any advice?

The wildcard, as I see it, is hot water.

Actual max loads:
Range: 40 amps
Dryer: 26 amps
Hot Water: 40 amps
HVAC: 16 amps​

As you can see, assuming your hot water heater has dual 4.5 kW elements, you're already beyond the limit of what you have available. If you're careful not to charge when using the range or the dryer, you have just enough left over for a NEMA 14-30 for car charging. The Gen 2 UMC will pull 24 amps on that outlet, putting you right at 80 amps total with hot water and air conditioning both running.

Reactions: juliusa
My electric panel is 100amps. My house does not have gas, so I have electric oven and dryer. I also have central A/C. My house is a ranch, around 1600 square feet. All of my appliances are recent, so Energy Star. I only have LED bulbs, a few CFLs. Electrician came over and is going to put in a 50amp dual pole breaker so I can put in a NEMA 14-50.

Am I pushing my luck with the load or should I go with a NEMA 14-30. Now mind you, I am most likely going for the Model 3 LR, not the SR+, if that makes any difference. I would charge overnight when neither the dryer nor the oven would be running, but surely the A/C would come on intermittently overnight.

Any advice?

Personally, I would do a 14-30 /30a breaker and get the adapter from Tesla. I'd make sure the wire is sized for 60a, in case someday you want to replace the panel. That way there is no risk now and minimal extra charge later.

Now I think you would be fine with a 14-50 and the Tesla UMC at 32a. An oven typically doesn't run all the time (only to heat up). The dryer and HVAC presents more load. What does the plate say on the outside HVAC unit?

Breakers don't always trip. Sometimes wires just start on fire and melt.
View attachment 394604
+1 on that one, I remodel homes for a living and have seen burnt wires numerous times, there are known issues with certain types of breakers and panels Zinsco brand being the most notable of the ones prone to failure, another is Federal Pacific electric, some Challenger ones, I would post a pic of your panel here to make sure it is not one of the dangerous types, if it is then you should upgrade to a new 200A panel just for your safety.

Reactions: eprosenx

Actual max loads:

As you can see, assuming your hot water heater has dual 4.5 kW elements, you're already beyond the limit of what you have available. If you're careful not to charge when using the range or the dryer, you have just enough left over for a NEMA 14-30 for car charging. The Gen 2 UMC will pull 24 amps on that outlet, putting you right at 80 amps total with hot water and air conditioning both running.

My hot water heater is an indirect from the oil burner. Not even sure that uses it's own electricity.

Any advice?

I am super conflicted on this one. I could argue this multiple ways. My recommendation would vary based on some additional information not yet included in this thread.

Can you post pictures of the following: Where the power comes into the house where the meter base is. Want to see conductor gauges for the aerial drop and run down the mast if overhead, or at least the conduit coming out of the ground if underground. Want to see what kind of meter and meter base you have. Then I want to see your electrical panel (or panels) in such a way as to see all the amperages on the breakers, and the circuit inventory, and any stickers providing the gory details about the panel specifications. This helps us determine if the panel is a known dangerous on among other things and what vintage it is. In an optimal world we would have pictures with the panel cover removed, but don't do this unless you have experience and comfort with that procedure.

What year was the house built/renovated (want to know age of electrical service/panel)?

As many have mentioned, what needs to be done is a true NEC load calculation to see where you fall right now with existing loads. If you put in a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and intend to use it with a UMC Gen 2 then you need to calculate it as a 32a continuous load. (it does not matter if it is on a 40a or a 50a circuit, it is still calculated as 32a continuous)

I could argue here that you might squeak by on the load calc side since your major heating loads (furnace and water heating) sound like they are heating oil? So not electric...

There are a lot of folks that successfully charge EV's on 100a services. (but the question is - how fast?)

Part of me says that if an electrician is willing to do a 50a circuit with 6 awg wire and have it permitted and signed off on, then I might just be willing to go for that. You still would have the option of manually setting the current lower in the car to add a margin of safety. I might be tempted to do this if the electrical service was modern good quality equipment and so manually reducing the amps was just adding further margin of safety. I would say that a lot of NEC load calculations sometimes result in some pretty under-utilized electric services (though this is partially compensated for by exceptions that let you reduce service conductor sizes after the calculation - and it is probably less likely to oversize on small services like 100a).

You could also run 6 AWG wire, but just do a 14-30 receptacle and 30a breaker for now (I think others have suggested this). It would require the proper $35 Tesla UMC adapter. This gives you easy upgradability.

I may also recommend getting a Sense Home Energy Monitor and installing it in order to get a better idea of what is actually going on. Having this in my house has made me realize how little of my 200a electrical service I actually use. I could probably just about get by on a 100a electrical service even with my M3 LR and Wall Connector on a 60a circuit charging at 48a. (but literally everything in my house that can be gas is gas)

How long to you plan to own / live in the house? This is another factor that really plays into this. Depending on my future plans for a house and how old the existing electrical service would weigh heavily on my decisions to upgrade the main service or not. I personally like overkilling things like this since I just don't want to worry about it, but I also am cheap. ;-) It is a fixed cost though with a very long capital lifespan to amortize it over.

I am going to throw out another possible option: You could do a Wall Connector on say 6 awg copper in conduit on a 60a circuit. This would nearly surely be too much load for your current electrical service, but you could have the electrician crank down the maximum Wall Connector rotary dial setting to whatever level the load calculations allowed you to use (say crank it to 32a continuous, or even 24a continuous). While the capital cost of this install is higher, it would provide a lot of flexibility. You could tune it to just the right amperage that your service supports and you could change it over time if other factors changed (like switching to a gas dryer, upgrading the service to 200a, etc...)

A note on the dryer buddy: I don't think it is UL approved or anything, so just food for thought. I like the concept, though I would have to go look at how dryers are factored into the load calcs compared to EV's. Dryers may have some kind of a load factor applied to them that does not apply to EV's, so I am not sure that just having a dryer buddy "solves" the load calculation issue (though it most certainly helps). My general thesis though is that I prefer spending money on "copper" (wire) than on electronics that have a shorter lifespan. ;-)

While I am typically really conservative, I would be somewhat tempted to do the 14-50 or Wall Connector on a 60a circuit (but cranked down on the hardware dial setting) as in special conditions it might allow me to violate some rules to charge faster. ;-) For instance, I would have zero issues charging overnight at 32a if you are not running the AC... Especially if you had a Sense Energy Monitor to see what was going on in real time, it may give me a lot of comfort. Also, while I never advise relying on this exclusively, you do have a main 100a main breaker right? If a modern unit from a reputable brand the odds are it would protect you. Also, depending on your main panel, the failure mode might be in an external metal box in metal conduit, so failures are less likely to result in a structure fire.

Regardless of what you do, please report back! Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and garth_angst

Actual max loads:

FWIW, Ranges/ovens almost never draw their actual max. When was the last time you used all your burners at max heat? Once an oven gets to temp it cycles on and off to maintain it.

Water heaters are generally always on 30a circuits. While they have two heating elements generally, only one is active at a time. So typically they are just 4500 watt devices. I was just running a water heater off a portable generator last weekend so we looked very carefully at it's draw. ;-)

My furnace blower on my natural gas furnace takes less than 1000 watts (it is only on a 15a 120v circuit). Obviously AC takes a ton more (different circuit).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Big Earl
FWIW, Ranges/ovens almost never draw their actual max. When was the last time you used all your burners at max heat? Once an oven gets to temp it cycles on and off to maintain it.

Water heaters are generally always on 30a circuits. While they have two heating elements generally, only one is active at a time. So typically they are just 4500 watt devices. I was just running a water heater off a portable generator last weekend so we looked very carefully at it's draw. ;-)

My furnace blower on my natural gas furnace takes less than 1000 watts (it is only on a 15a 120v circuit). Obviously AC takes a ton more (different circuit).

And new tankless hot water systems are 25,000 watts.

He should get a local guy to check it out and not encourage timing appliances to avoid overloading.

20-30A 240V might be very doable. 50 amp highly unlikely, and often unnecessary. Regardless that the UMC is max 32A someone could plug a RV into it. And that’s how it should be looked at.

Last edited:
I recommend just doing the Wall Connector if you can spare it. It is UL listed to support a wide range of settings down to 15A. I think cost wise:
1. A 6awg in 3/4" conduit wiring job is same cheaper than a NEMA-14-50 (because receptacle, and possibly ideal GFCI might be required). You would have to buy a Wall Connector. If you change to a different EV, then you can still pursue the NEMA 14-50 later.
2. You can't officially turn down a mobile connector unless changing the the adapter. If you did this you'd not be installing a NEMA 14-50 in the first place. Do not rely on software in the car alone to reduce charge for safety/fire reasons.
3. You could jump and just wire up to 3awg and 1" conduit for future, and turn down the Wall Connector to as low as 15A. If you decide to upgrade service in the future to 200A, at least you have more flexibility. You won't be able to change to a NEMA 14-50 because the wire is too thick for the receptacle.

I am puzzled about the load calculations below for you. Seems like you have no room for charging. I assume the A/C was added more recently. The values I used for the stove and oven is on the high side. I did recalculate with a standard range with 80% factor and a smaller A/C unit, and came up with 102A. All in all you are right at the 102-127A arena.
---
@garth_angst My NEC Load Calculation Method 1 for you. I assumed at 3 Ton A/C based upon Long Island, NY and 1600 ft. Used oil for both heat and water.

1. General lighting:
1600 sqft * 3 VA = 4800
Small Appliance 1500VA * 2 3000
Laundry 1500
1st 3000VA at 100% 3000
Next 6300VA * 35% 2205
Total 5205

2. Fix Appliance
Dishwasher 1500
Disposal 800
Compactor 99
Microwave 1300
Assume oil hot water 0
Total 3700 *75% 2775

3. Dryer 5400 @100% 5400

4. Range/Oven/Cooktop 11000

5. A/C 5000
Assume oil heat

6. Largest motor 5000*.25% 1250

VA: 30630VA
Current amps: 127.625

Last edited:

Huh. Your house situation is pretty similar to mine. I also have a 1600 square foot house, but my panel is 125A. I also have the electric oven, dryer, and combo heat pump A/C unit, but my water heating is gas.

I don't think I would go for adding a 50A circuit in your case. Seems pretty tight. And you wouldn't even get full benefit since the UMC can only draw 32A max. I would probably go for a 20 or 30A circuit.

By the way, NEC section 220.60 is a provision about "noncoincident loads" as used in load calculations. It says that when you are doing a load calculation, you can designate two loads that will be unlikely to run at the same time, and therefore count only the larger of the two. So that is not just a hand-wavy "probably get by with it" kind of thing. It is an actual proper code-compliant method to say that your 40A oven will not be running at the same time as the 30A car circuit, which will be set to run at 1:00 AM or later, and then you can count both as only being the 40A load.
Residential Service Calculations in the National Electrical Code

60A for my charging circuit, which will only see 32A through UMC,
You've got a problem with your install then, if you have a 14-50 outlet on a 60A breaker. That is never allowed.

I am super conflicted on this one. I could argue this multiple ways. My recommendation would vary based on some additional information not yet included in this thread.

Regardless of what you do, please report back! Cheers!

Another great informative post by eprosenx.
I have decided to take the path that I think makes the most sense ans that is to upgrade my panel to 200amp. I have an electrician coming Wednesday to give me an estimate. Yes, a rather large cost, but I am not doing this ONLY for getting power to my Tesla (which I do not have yet). I am also thinking about the future and whatever new gadgets might require unknown power, resale value of my home, etc.
I plan on putting in the 6 AWG line, going to a NEMA 14-50 and then maybe one day in the far future I might want to get a Telsa charger, if for example we add another Tesla to the home.

I will update this thread when I get my estimate.

Reactions: GSP and RedModel3
I recommend just doing the Wall Connector if you can spare it. It is UL listed to support a wide range of settings down to 15A. I think cost wise:
1. A 6awg in 3/4" conduit wiring job is same cheaper than a NEMA-14-50 (because receptacle, and possibly ideal GFCI might be required). You would have to buy a Wall Connector. If you change to a different EV, then you can still pursue the NEMA 14-
2. You can't officially turn down a mobile connector unless changing the the adapter. If you did this you'd not be installing a NEMA 14-50 in the first place. Do not rely on software in the car alone to reduce charge for safety/fire reasons.
3. You could jump and just wire up to 3awg and 1" conduit for future, and turn down the Wall Connector to as low as 15A. If you decide to upgrade service in the future to 200A, at least you have more flexibility. You won't be able to change to a NEMA 14-50 because the wire is too thick for the receptacle.

I am puzzled about the load calculations below for you. Seems like you have no room for charging. I assume the A/C was added more recently. The values I used for the stove and oven is on the high side. I did recalculate with a standard range with 80% factor and a smaller A/C unit, and came up with 102A. All in all you are right at the 102-127A arena.
---
@garth_angst My NEC Load Calculation Method 1 for you. I assumed at 3 Ton A/C based upon Long Island, NY and 1600 ft. Used oil for both heat and water.

1. General lighting:
1600 sqft * 3 VA = 4800
Small Appliance 1500VA * 2 3000
Laundry 1500
1st 3000VA at 100% 3000
Next 6300VA * 35% 2205
Total 5205

2. Fix Appliance
Dishwasher 1500
Disposal 800
Compactor 99
Microwave 1300
Assume oil hot water 0
Total 3700 *75% 2775

3. Dryer 5400 @100% 5400

4. Range/Oven/Cooktop 11000

5. A/C 5000
Assume oil heat

6. Largest motor 5000*.25% 1250

VA: 30630VA
Current amps: 127.625

Mr Trumpet, I do not have a disposal or compactor. Microwave is 1100 watts. You nailed the Dryer and A/C at 3 tonne, not sure about the watts. Not sure if the other numbers are correct. Almost never use the over anyway, except for the range to heat up stuff in pots like soup or boil water. We use a Breville countertop mini-over. It heats up much faster, since it is in a smaller space. It's 1800 watts.

I am going to throw out another possible option: You could do a Wall Connector on say 6 awg copper in conduit on a 60a circuit. This would nearly surely be too much load for your current electrical service, but you could have the electrician crank down the maximum Wall Connector rotary dial setting to whatever level the load calculations allowed you to use (say crank it to 32a continuous, or even 24a continuous). While the capital cost of this install is higher, it would provide a lot of flexibility. You could tune it to just the right amperage that your service supports and you could change it over time if other factors changed (like switching to a gas dryer, upgrading the service to 200a, etc...)

eprosenx:

Can the Wall Connector use 6 awg? I thought from reading posts here, that is requires 3 awg.
As for the conduit, it the conduit necessary for 6 awg on a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 14-30?
I am learning a lot from all these posts, but I do seem some conflicting information sometimes.

Reactions: eprosenx
eprosenx:

Can the Wall Connector use 6 awg? I thought from reading posts here, that is requires 3 awg.
As for the conduit, it the conduit necessary for 6 awg on a NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 14-30?
I am learning a lot from all these posts, but I do seem some conflicting information sometimes.
The wall connector wire size depends on the dial setting and capabilities that are desired.

60A (48a continuous) requires 6awg THHN in conduit. If using Romex (NM-B) it requires larger wire for 60a, I believe 4ga NM-B is OK.

14-50 can use 6ga NM-B

14-30 looks like 10ga NM-B is ok, although I would not do that except for the shortest of distances.

eprosenx:

You can run whatever you want to the wall connector you just have to make sure the selector switch is set to the appropriate breaker size, I ran 6/3 romex as I had some leftover, this romex is limited to 44A continuous draw or 80% of the 55A rating, since there is no 55A breaker setting, use the 50A breaker setting and you will draw 40A

If you wish to run conduit then you can use the 6 gauge wire x2 with one 10 gauge ground wire and then use the 60A breaker setting for the full 48A

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and eprosenx
eprosenx:

@brkaus and @gilscales have this covered pretty well, but just a little extra detail:

A 60a circuit does require 6 awg in conduit, or 4 awg romex (NM-B). (note that there are extenuating circumstances where this is not true like if you are running wire through a really hot attic, but this is generally safe advice - there are adjustments for ambient temperature, number of wires in a conduit, voltage drop, etc... that is why this is so confusing since there is not a hard mapping of wire size to amperage...)

Here are the general ampacity charts for wire:
Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

Look at the copper column, 60c for Romex (NM-B). 75c is generally fine for THHN/THWN in conduit (same wire gauge gives you more amperage due to higher temp rating). Note that these are ratings for non-continuous loads. EVSE units are all considered continuous loads, so you can only use 80% of the listed capacity.

So as @gilscales mentioned, you can literally use any kind of wire on a Wall Connector all the way from 15 awg Romex which is good for 15a (12a continuous), up through 3 AWG copper in conduit which is good for 100a (80a continuous). Just make sure to install a breaker that is equal to or less than the rating of the wire. And make sure to set the Wall Connector rotary dial equal to or less than the rating of the breaker.

As I may have mentioned before, I am a massive fan of the Wall Connector. I personally like keeping my UMC in the car with me at all times (though I only use it when going on trips away from home staying overnight at friends) and then having the Wall Connector at home. I find the cost of buying a second UMC to keep at home permanently vs. buying a Wall Connector is about a wash (due to needing a GFCI breaker and receptacle on the UMC but not on the Wall Connector).

I personally love knowing I can max out the onboard charger in my M3 LR at 48 amps, though I have only needed that functionality once or twice so far to top off after work before going on a trip for the weekend. It also is great for cold morning warmups to warm the battery and interior of the car off "shore power". I park outside and so this can nearly max the 48 amps for a short period of time in the AM!

All current production model Tesla's max out at a max of 48a (some older units went to 72a or 80a, and some current model ones are 32a). So that is why 60a circuits are really common (also over 60a you have to have a way to "lock off" the circuit which is generally just a clip on the breaker in most jurisdictions). So 60a is a great choice, though if you really want to future proof you could go all the way to 100a. Tesla can put up to four Wall Connectors on the same circuit and they can intelligently share the power to stay under the combined max that is set. But that assumes if you get another car it would also be a Tesla.

So if it was me, and you were upgrading your service, I would install a Wall Connector. I would have to really think about whether I did 60a or 100a (if @SoundDaTrumpet did the NEC load calc correctly you may already be over 100a of NEC calculated load?). There is a good chance I would do 3/4in conduit and 60a. But who knows, I might also do 1" conduit for future proofing, but only wire up 60a today? You also could be totally happy with just a 14-50 if you just want to use the included UMC without buying a second one.

P.S. Do you have natural gas available at the house? If not, you probably need to plan for replacing that oil heater and water heater with something electric. I actually could see you wanting to go to a 320/400a electrical service if you do decide to upgrade. The main panel might cost a little more, but if you end up with an all electric house plus EV charging you might be pushing the limits on even a 200a service. If you go straight electric water heating there are also "instant" electric water heaters that can take 160 amps just all by themselves.