Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only one that loves not having a Key Fob?

I miss my key fob

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Major selling point for me, I've got two pockets, one for a phone and one for a wallet. My keyfobs have always had to be awkwardly jammed in a pocket. From my reading, it seems most are interested in the key fob for two reasons:

1) The phone based locking/unlocking has been unreliable, particularly for Android users
2) If they want guests to use the car, the credit card thing is complicated and unorthodox

I'd love it if the phone key didn't suck at being reliable, and if Summon was reliable, and if opening the frunk weren't so many damned steps.

But since it is unreliable as a key, is unreliable for summon, and opening the frunk is too many steps… no. I'd like a good fob.

However, they released a bad fob. So I'll stick with the phone for now.

Reactions: N5329K
One of the many things I love of the Model 3 is that I don't have to carry a key fob for it. My cell already goes with me everywhere I go, one less thing in my pockets is almost liberating!

My last car (a 2008) didn't require a fob either.

I used a credit card sized/shaped key with a battery in it that worked 100% of the time without ever needing to leave my wallet.

So honestly phone-as-key is a downgrade from that in some ways... (and an upgrade in others since I couldn't take the credit out and turn on my AC while still at my desk)

Reactions: N5329K
For a car like Model 3 it works fine without FOB. The only issue is that you can’t summon it as quick as a FOB (for S/X). Now for a car like Model X, the FOB is a must to remotely operate the doors(open and close). I always open them before we get to the car so the kids can hop right in.

i am so happy to be fobless. I kept losing it, washing it, running out of battery charge, having to hide it, having to replace it. My phone works 100% of the time and I love having 5 dollar waterproof cards that can I easily carry, hide etc. I have 5 extras cards and 1 lying somewhere in the Atlantic ocean

Agreed, I love it as well. I was able to eliminate my key chain entirely. I still have my house key but that goes in my wallet and we're good to go. Phone Key works about 90% of the time (100% of the time if I remember to preheat the car), but key card is just in my wallet in the other pocket so no big deal.
This was solved with a smart deadbolt lock. Wife was unhappy at first but loves it now.

One of the many things I love of the Model 3 is that I don't have to carry a key fob for it. My cell already goes with me everywhere I go, one less thing in my pockets is almost liberating!
The only problem with the phone is that if your battery dies then you are locked out of your car, for example if you are away from home or a place to charge. This means that I now have to carry a card and a phone just in case. Then I thought when I leave my car then I'll just take the card with me and leave the phone but the doors don't lock with the phone left in the car unless I turn off Bluetooth which is a pain to do that all the time.

Unfortunately the fob sucks too. No summon, no passive entry. Very featureless.