Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just going to copy and paste the same thing I said last time I had this discussion!

----

I've had this discussion multiple times over the last week! I think continuing Chademo support at this time is fine for many reasons.

* Not many new cars use Chademo, but some do, many existing cars do and almost all grey imported cars do.
* The Chademo cars are typically much cheaper. If the cheaper EVs are excluded, particularly at sites which receive grants, it could be seen as inequitable use of government funds.
* The Chademo cars typically have lower range, so their use of public charging may be higher.
* Later on, when we build out increased capacity, it will be done based on the usage of existing chargers, and this will prefer CCS2. This is already happening with the latest NSW and Queensland government infrastructure buildout, which do not require Chademo. Tesla superchargers, when opened up to all vehicles, will be another CCS2 only network.
* The Future Fuels grant sites that Ampol are installing are primarily urban - and they're one of many. There will be another fast charging station by another vendor 5 km down the road. If these sites are deemed an inadequate configuration, drivers can avoid them.
* Ampol and Evie are meeting the grant requirements in different ways. Evie has four connectors (two of each) but only maximum 50 kW per car. Chargefox/EHT will use Kempower hardware, which is different again. It's good to have each grant recipient using a different implementation. Future site operators can see what works best.
* Some of these Ampol sites are going to have two units (support four cars simultaneously) which is well above and beyond the grant requirement.
* Even if the existing Chademo cables need to be replaced with CCS2 in the future (not likely IMHO - the balance will be altered by growth of new CCS, not removal of old Chademo) - it's only $1200 to swap the cable over.

To use another EV metaphor, consider the Victorian EV tax. Most people think we will need a road user charge in future - but not now, it's way too early. Similarly, getting rid of Chademo connectors should obviously happen eventually, but at the moment, it's too early.
Appreciate the response and understand your position but I still stand my opionion. Likely senario is that there will be multiple cars lined up to use the one CCS2 bay and the other CHAdeMO bay will be empty most of the time. Maybe they can design it so that the second bay could have both CCS2 and CHAdeMO cables so that it can use either one or the other, they'd be able to collect a heck of a lot more revenue that way. Petrol stations have combined pumps, Diesel, ULP, PULP, E10 all at the one bowser, same principle.

004F0367-0BF2-4F0F-8109-733744185B19.jpeg

Report on FB that an Ampcharge app is now on Apple. Can't see anything yet on Android, though Android typically staggers releases.

Yep it’s there in the App Store… just downloaded it. Like other Apps, it shows realtime port usage. There is currently only one AMPCharge in Sydney at Alexandria, and it’s telling me the CCS2 port is in use but CHAdeMO not :)

The port naming is terrible - “t184-it1-1122-136-1” is not exactly user friendly! You can set favourite charging stations.

The app has an option to change from metric to imperial measures… WTH?!!

Any confirmation of pricing at $0.60/kWh?

The pricing all shows up as $0.00 because it's still in the free period.

There's a bit about "autocharge" too. "AutoCharge only works on selected chargers".

I wonder if it will work for Teslas or only "plug and charge" standard vehicles?

I can't see anywhere to attach an RFID card, and all these apps are getting annoying. So autocharge would be appreciated.

I noted that there isn't anywhere on the app where you create an account. You can connect it to Apple Pay but there's none of the usual "enter your name, address, etc".

Also apart from selecting a connector manually, you can also scan a QR code (with an option "start charge immediately upon scanning").

From Northmead plugshare - please explainView attachment 835693
I drove past that Northmead site a couple of hours ago, and the charger was being positioned onto the slab - couple of workers and a forklift. From what I could see from the road, the charger is on top of the square hole in the photo, and the two cylinders are the bases for the barrier poles (to stop people hitting the charger when positioning into the charging bays).

I couldn‘t stop to take a photo, sorry, but anyone able to call in there now should be able to see the charger in position. (Sidenote: that seems to be a very busy station with a hectic forecourt. Positioning into the parking bays for charging might be a bit fraught if you are there at a busy time. Also turning right into the station from Windsor Rd - ie if heading southbound towards Parramatta and needing to turn across the northbound traffic - looks to be a bit scary at busy times.)