Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Open Letter about My Model X Body Repair Experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you looked into that new InsureMyTesla?

InsureMyTesla

Also Progressive seems to be pretty popular with a lot of owners. I'm currently with them, though I'm going to check out the above link to get a quote and see. If it's the same or less in price then I'm going to switch.
i have looked...they were like $412/month or something stupid...I pay $60.50/month now with Progressive on a multiple car plan which includes house and 2 other cars besides mine with $1 million in coverage... :D

It should be pointed out that a diminished-value claim is made by the owner of the damaged vehicle directly against the at-fault party (or their insurer). The insurance company of the party suffering the loss will not pay it (even though it will seek reimbursement for the repair from the at-fault party's insurer).

Because the diminished value claim would be paid out by a different company than her own insurer, it is not a consideration of her own insurance company. The only way for a diminished-value claim to affect whether a vehicle will be totaled would be for the entire claim to be made directly against the at-fault insurer (not one's own insurer).
That's why you don't do the claim against your own insurer when someone else is at fault. That has been reviewed here on TMC many times. I wish there was an Insurance FAQ somewhere that explained all these simple things, because it would definitely stop a lot of the crap like this repair on a basically totaled car.

It looks like the battery pack is fine, at least if it is disassembled down to the module level. There's lots of salable parts in that wreck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Call me crazy :confused: (wouldn't be the first) since Tesla doesn't change the basic body styles of their vehicles, a partially automated process of body repair should be reasonable. A poor example of this is Apple's LIAM, thier 29 armed recycling robot. I could see a similar robot scanning a vehicle for non-compliant body parts, removing and partially re-assembling. I'm sure humans would have to run interference here and there but, it would cut out a lot of time and effort ($$$). I know this dreaming doesn't help the situation but, many great things start with a dream. Something like this would not work with other car companies because body styles change every year, but with a Tesla, it's feasable.

Reactions: Ulmo
That's why you don't do the claim against your own insurer when someone else is at fault. That has been reviewed here on TMC many times. I wish there was an Insurance FAQ somewhere that explained all these simple things, because it would definitely stop a lot of the crap like this repair on a basically totaled car.

It looks like the battery pack is fine, at least if it is disassembled down to the module level. There's lots of salable parts in that wreck.

Right, it's always best to claim from the other party as then you are in control, can rent something suitable and use whatever repair shop you want.

If the dash has been out of this car for all that time is it able to charge? Has the battery pack been sitting off charge for 7 months?
I was thinking the same thing while reading this post. I suspect it has been completely empty for a long time and that would concern the hell out of me! I would speak to someone at Tesla on what kind of damage can be caused to a Tesla battery left completely empty for 6+ months

Most convoluted thread I've ever read . . . . folks asking, "who's your ins. co" .... jeez .... w/ people piling on about THEIR own personal accident experience, one can't tell if they wana know about the OP's ins, or the immediate prior OT ins carier, or whatever. One thing's for certain ... man, am I ever glad (once we bought/sold the MS) that we only LEASED our X.
To the OP ... sorry for your loss & hassle, and that no one else can simply start their own post.
;)

It's useful to discuss this stuff. I know someone who had a similar problem with a Leaf. There was a problem with the rear axel or something that took them 8 months to fix properly, after which point the battery was knackered.

Plus long delays and difficulty repairing cars pushes up insurance premiums.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Leasing is a great way to make payments for a vehicle that's stuck in the shop for a significant chunk of the lease period.
not typical dude...

i leased my X so i can get the latest and greatest tesla at the end of the lease...i've had my car in the shop overnight not even once and i have a demo car that's had to go in a couple times, but no "significant chunk of the lease period".

not typical dude...

i leased my X so i can get the latest and greatest tesla at the end of the lease...i've had my car in the shop overnight not even once and i have a demo car that's had to go in a couple times, but no "significant chunk of the lease period".

I think Chayton is referring to something unfortunate happening beyond your control, like our situation, where you're stuck making payments on your Model X for a year without it being repaired. At least with a lease, however, you don't lose all your value in the vehicle and you can simply turn it back in at the end of the lease.

We're now addressing the angle of the battery needing to be replaced due to inactivity and lack of charging. I tried to do some digging online but have not had any luck as far as determining cost to replace the 90kwh battery—does anyone know definitively what the replacement cost is and how long a Tesla can sit without charge or being driven before battery life is significantly impacted?

We're now addressing the angle of the battery needing to be replaced due to inactivity and lack of charging. I tried to do some digging online but have not had any luck as far as determining cost to replace the 90kwh battery—does anyone know definitively what the replacement cost is and how long a Tesla can sit without charge or being driven before battery life is significantly impacted?

Do you know what the current state-of-charge is? Ultimately you will probably have to test it to determine what the loss is like, because it depends on the starting charge level, where it was stored etc.

You might have issues of you didn't tell them to plug it in now and then, knowing that damage was possible.

In the example I mentioned the dealer who did the warranty work sold EVs so should have known, but in your case they might argue that they couldn't reasonably have been expected to know about it and would have taken steps to mitigate if they had.

Leasing is a great way to make payments for a vehicle that's stuck in the shop for a significant chunk of the lease period.
So true !!
Leasing is ALSO a great way to make payments for a vehicle that's stuck in the shop for a significant chunk of the lease period, while you drive around the country in a loaner Tesla, keeping the miles off YOUR lease vehicle ... so your residual is way the heck up there. In the past 1/2 year, we've saved over 2 thousand miles! For others? They may see the glass as half empty.
;)

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
So true !!
Leasing is ALSO a great way to make payments for a vehicle that's stuck in the shop for a significant chunk of the lease period, while you drive around the country in a loaner Tesla, keeping the miles off YOUR lease vehicle ... so your residual is way the heck up there. In the past 1/2 year, we've saved over 2 thousand miles! For others? They may see the glass as half empty.
;)
i put 1900 miles in one week one a loaner car once. :D