Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IL

Haven't renewed it yet but I believe for EVs its $35 and the tag lasts 2 years. But this looks too good to be true so their may be some extra fees added that I'm missing.

This is the old rate. The State of Illinois raised fees for EVs from $35 every two years to $248/year and raised non-EVs from $98/year to $148/year. This starts in 2020. The old special EV rate applied a registration expiration date of 12/31/2019 for all EVs, so I assume the new rate will apply when you go to renew in December 2019 for 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: RC2785
An interesting wrinkle in Illinois was that since at least 2013 you could pay what's now $35 for two years of non-customizable electric plates versus a base of $101 each year for regular passenger plates -- an obvious reward for being environmentally responsible. But it was optional; and if you loved your conventional vanity or other plate, you could register your car that way and essentially pay an $80+ yearly surcharge for the privilege.

So, all things being equal for 2020, finally it would make economic sense to bag your Illinois electric-vehicle plates and register as a conventional passenger vehicle. So I suspect they'll make electric-vehicle registration mandatory for Teslas here, charging so much more now to accommodate the road-use taxes we've been avoiding for seven years (it's about time). And if they're smart they'll come up with a vanity-plate option to satisfy those so inclined and add bonus dollars to the State coffers.

And down the road we can hope for that carbon-offset credit we so richly deserve.

AZ about $25-30 per year for the first 5 years.

Just registered our black/black M3. The list price (LOL) on the registration says $62940. The 5-year registration fee was $177.62 and breaks down as follows:

Vehicle License Tax $93.37
Registration $8.25
Public Safety Fee $64.00
Title $4.00
Special Plate $8.00

The special plate is the alternative fuels "blue cloud" plate which allows you to drive in the carpool lane at all times.

So yeah, if you divide the $177.62 / 5 years = $35.52/year. If this had been an ICE car, the fees would have been $800+

That all caught me totally off guard - I had no idea there were benefits in registration cost with EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66
Year #1 ~$4,030
20190916_220255.jpg

Year #2 $1,177.70 ($100 extra for no front plate)
20190916_125528~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20190916_220255.jpg
    20190916_220255.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 40
Thats interesting, I must have cut it just under the wire with no Public Safety fee! I was wondering why a few other owners were quoting numbers that were quite a bit above mine.

Vehicle License Tax $80.40
Registration $8.25
Title $4.00
Special Plate $8.00

TOTAL 100.65 so $20.13 a year.

Mine out the door was "only" ~$57K

Just registered our black/black M3. The list price (LOL) on the registration says $62940. The 5-year registration fee was $177.62 and breaks down as follows:

Vehicle License Tax $93.37
Registration $8.25
Public Safety Fee $64.00
Title $4.00
Special Plate $8.00

The special plate is the alternative fuels "blue cloud" plate which allows you to drive in the carpool lane at all times.

So yeah, if you divide the $177.62 / 5 years = $35.52/year. If this had been an ICE car, the fees would have been $800+

That all caught me totally off guard - I had no idea there were benefits in registration cost with EVs.

Here in NY, it's done based on curb weight. So depending on which flavor of Model 3 you have, it would be $51 to $71 + $32.50 (for 6 Cyl or EV's) every two years for a standard issue plate (personalized / special interest plates cost extra).

Now on top of that, some counties lop on additional fees, so for NYC, that's another $80 every two years. Other counties like Westchester or Suffolk go up to $110 extra every two years.

Finally, NY requires an annual emissions/safety inspection. Since these are EV's, they are exempt from emissions testing, so the safety inspection is just $10 every year.

In the way of incentives, New York State gives you $2000 back when you purchase a plug-in hybrid or battery powered car at point-of-sale (no need to wait for year-end taxes - it comes right off the purchase price.)

I renewed for 5 years a few months back this summer. That is the maximum.

Yeah, I did the same for both my EV's, will see if we keep both for that long as there is no refund for unused registration :)
I don't mind paying my fair share of road taxes but this is too much and I believe it is driven by the oil & gas lobby, which makes me mad. I even removed the personalized plates on both cars so I won't have to pay them $500 extra. Now, I have the benefit of the cars having two consequent numbers :)

Yeah, I did the same for both my EV's, will see if we keep both for that long as there is no refund for unused registration :)
I don't mind paying my fair share of road taxes but this is too much and I believe it is driven by the oil & gas lobby, which makes me mad. I even removed the personalized plates on both cars so I won't have to pay them $500 extra. Now, I have the benefit of the cars having two consequent numbers :)
I plan on keeping the car for 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. ;)

You haven't had to renew yet I'm guessing. It would be $20 if it was a gas car. For those filthy EVs GA has a lovely upcharge of about $300 per year for renewals.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. I just paid mine and it was just north of $200, something like $218 I think. Still not fun to pay but I get it, we don’t buy gas and still use the roads so we need to pay for them somehow. Several years ago now GA passed a law revamping the motor fuel tax and indexing it to inflation, and that is when this EV fee was added. They indexed both to inflation so the motor fuel tax and EV fee both gradually increase at roughly the same rate each year.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. I just paid mine and it was just north of $200, something like $218 I think. Still not fun to pay but I get it, we don’t buy gas and still use the roads so we need to pay for them somehow. Several years ago now GA passed a law revamping the motor fuel tax and indexing it to inflation, and that is when this EV fee was added. They indexed both to inflation so the motor fuel tax and EV fee both gradually increase at roughly the same rate each year.
I am all for paying my fair share for the roads, I just don't agree with the arbitrary 200+$ figure. I think the mileage driven for that year is how the tax should be accessed. Not to mention we are taxed on the power bill.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic