Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another $5k price increase for LR MS……

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's gotta pay off that battery settlement somehow, $600 and change per car in the USA and $16K for each one in Norway.
Or the "hold" issue on the Model S is costing more to fix.
Or Elon lost his ass on Dogecoins.
Or the dart hit the "$5K" spot on the dart board.
I was considering trading in the P100D on one since it might be a few years before I can get the Plaid, but, guess I'll just stick with what I got.

I'd rather pay Jason $5K for a battery upgrade than pay Elon an extra $5K he doesn't need for a new LR.

In addition to chip shortages, low inventories, etc. impacting the inudstry overall, a Reuters article further suggests that the U.S. price hikes are Tesla's way of keeping margins/profits up while still maintaining lower prices in China in hopes of boosting sales growth there.

The good thing for buyers, at least those looking to sell or trade their current car, is that higher overall used car values are helping to cover at least some of the higher new car prices.

It's a good time not to have to buy a car.

So many new EVs coming over the next few years.
Yep and the huge Tesla Supercharger advantage is about to disappear. While we can’t assume the federal infrastructure bill’s nationwide fast chargers will survive Congressional negotiations, Musk has at least verbally committed to allowing other brands to use Superchargers this year. I love my two Teslas but combining the opening of Superchargers to other brands with the poor Tesla customer service and buying a non-Tesla is looking like a good option for the future. (BTW for those Tesla owners who bought their first Tesla after Model 3 introduction, Tesla customer service was good until Model 3 buried the Service Centers and nothing has improved since.)

Gotta make hay when you can.

All automakers do this, it’s just hidden as additional dealer incentives during normal times, MSRP when sales are good, and additional dealer markup (and add-ons) when sales are fantastic.

It’s definitely not unique to Tesla although I wouldn't say it's typically "hidden" with other automakers. The general difference is that most automakers adjust rebates/incentives more so than adjust MSRPs. When Tesla lowers the MSRP, it's similar to another automaker increasing or adding rebates/incentives. When Tesla raises the MSRP, it's similar to another automaker decreasing or eliminating rebates/incentives. One notable difference is that other automakers often get into interest rate incentives (e.g., 0% APR for 60 months) whereas Tesla is almost entirely price adjustments and/or discounts on new inventory cars.

A nearly 13% base price increase on the LR in just a couple of months is a lot, however, even in this crazy market. Of course, another way to look at it is that MS prices are still "better" than what they were a few years ago even after factoring in previously available federal EV tax credits.

Reactions: brkaus
Yep and the huge Tesla Supercharger advantage is about to disappear. While we can’t assume the federal infrastructure bill’s nationwide fast chargers will survive Congressional negotiations, Musk has at least verbally committed to allowing other brands to use Superchargers this year. I love my two Teslas but combining the opening of Superchargers to other brands with the poor Tesla customer service and buying a non-Tesla is looking like a good option for the future. (BTW for those Tesla owners who bought their first Tesla after Model 3 introduction, Tesla customer service was good until Model 3 buried the Service Centers and nothing has improved since.)
Elon Musk has verbally committed to a lot of things, like the cross-country auto... nah, forget it.

There’s absolutely no way Tesla goes through with this in the US if they aren’t getting a major piece of that pie.

Reactions: byeLT4 and headcase
The whole company is basically sold out for the rest of the year. New Model S orders are estimated to arrive between January (Plaid) and March (LR), so almost every car they deliver this year is already locked in to the old pricing.

You can still buy your way to the front of the 3/Y line if you're willing to pony up for a Performance model, but the base models show November or December delivery, and let's be honest, even that might not happen given the way things are.

They clearly have a buyer for every car they can produce... like @brkaus said, make hay while you can.

Reactions: KyleDay
This time it's different because there's billions of government cheddar on the line for the expansion of "open" EV charging networks.
I'm going to guess there will be Tesla and non-Tesla prices at Superchargers. Some Tesla cars will still have FUSC, others will pay the lower Tesla rates per kWh and the other manufacturers' cars will pay two to three times the Tesla rate.

Still technically "open," just heavily disincentivized for non-Tesla drivers. Most of them would probably still rather deal with EA or similar for L3 charging, rather than an SC and a clunky/weird/expensive adapter.