Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model X crash, driver says autopilot was engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not good - and not because of the AP issues, the impact on TSLA, or even the green revolution.

This just may be the beginning of the robot and AI uprising that Musk is worried about:
Silicon Valley billionaire Elon Musk fears that rapid advances in artificial intelligence could lead to a cataclysmic, Skynet-style takeover within the next 5 to 10 years.

Elon Musk Wants to Prevent a Robot Uprising in the Worst Way Possible

It *may* not be that bad since according to Musk the odds are very high that we living in a computer simulation. A soft-reboot will fix all this.
Odds are we're living in a simulation, says Elon Musk

Elon and Tesla are seriously getting unfairly dragged in the mud the past few weeks. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal this weekend about autopilot (and as most of us know, the WSJ has a notoriously anti-Tesla slant). I made it very clearly known to the reporter about how the manual details that autopilot is driver assistance, and how the Tesla is in no way, shape, or form an autonomous vehicle. I stressed that I saw autopilot like an advanced form of cruise control that requires driver monitoring, and abusing it is no different than texting while driving. You might get away with it 99 times out of 100, but that 100th time will bite.

While I made my point, the story hasn't come out yet (that I've seen) so I'm waiting to see how slanted it will be...

Elon and Tesla are seriously getting unfairly dragged in the mud the past few weeks. I was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal this weekend about autopilot (and as most of us know, the WSJ has a notoriously anti-Tesla slant). I made it very clearly known to the reporter about how the manual details that autopilot is driver assistance, and how the Tesla is in no way, shape, or form an autonomous vehicle. I stressed that I saw autopilot like an advanced form of cruise control that requires driver monitoring, and abusing it is no different than texting while driving. You might get away with it 99 times out of 100, but that 100th time will bite.

While I made my point, the story hasn't come out yet (that I've seen) so I'm waiting to see how slanted it will be...
Very cool that you got interviewed. How did that come about?

Yeah, can't wait for this to hit the news cycle. It will be fantastically bad. Last week it was all "self-driving car kills man by driving into semi". The local news are the most sadly hilarious when covering this. But then again, the NY Times was also calling it an autonomous car, so yeah.
Am assuming ABC 7 News tonight or tomorrow will treat this as "self-driving Tesla injures driver and passenger by hitting a guardrail and flipping on its roof, on a busy highway, debris striking another car".

Story now picked up by Zerohedge. I'm starting to be worried about public perception - not the reality. I love my Autopilot and Tesla. I think accidents are part of the learning process and Musk is the only one brave enough to do the fleet development which will lead to mass adoption of safe semi autonomous and autonomous cars.

But Musk's twitter comments this morning sound to me like a man under extreme stress.

I hope the public and our regulators don't go into panic-and-politics mode about autonomous cars and Autopilot in particular.

I am definitely concerned that highly publicized Autopilot accidents will slow sales. We will see.

Or if it's deemed inadequate by NHTSA maybe Tesla will be forced to upgrade the hardware to be more capable

Does NHTSA have the power to force Tesla to do anything? If Autopilot does not violate any existing laws then what can be done if someone wanted to force Tesla to turn it off? I assume you have to have state and/or federal legislatures enact new laws, right?

I would get all so doom and gloom, this is all just an inevitable part of the process of driving change.

Remember the first battery fires--sooner or later there was going to be an accident with a battery fire, and it eventually happened, and everyone freaked out, and the NHTSA did their things and Tesla made some tweaks and since we did not have a rash of fires, life went on. The same is going to be true with AP. It was inevitable there were going to be accidents with AP turned on and similarity inevitable that there were going to be fatalities at some point--our cars are awesome, but they are not magical. The same thing will happen: the NHTSA will do their thing, Tesla may be more aggressive with nag screens or geo-fencing features or the like, and the news cycle will burn itself out as the media moves on to other things. For better or for worse, the American public has a short attention span for these things and unless there is a steady stream of salacious events to feed the news cycle, the media will go find the next thing to drive clicks.