Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any concerns about a very low mileage S whose warranty is about to expire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dealer near me has a 2014 S for sale whose warranty will expire in March. The vehicle has less than 10k miles, and they are IMO asking more for the vehicle than they should based on the low mileage (since the warranty is about to expire). They apparently have had the vehicle for about 2 years, and have been consistently asking too much for it. So it's been doing a lot of sitting.

I'm curious what people's thoughts would be on the prospects of buying a car like that, that has very low mileage due to sitting on a dealer's lot for 2+ years, but whose warranty is about to expire due to time. I would worry that there are many things that could fail soon, but which have not due to the vehicle simply not being used.

Thanks!

My first thought would be how is the battery health? Did they leave it sitting at 100% or very low for who knows how long.

2 years at the dealer? Holy crap that is a helluva long time to sit. Do you know if it’s at least been driving every so often? If it sat for months on end I wonder if brakes and drive train components are corroded and potentially close to seizing up?

A dealer near me has a 2014 S for sale whose warranty will expire in March. The vehicle has less than 10k miles, and they are IMO asking more for the vehicle than they should based on the low mileage (since the warranty is about to expire). They apparently have had the vehicle for about 2 years, and have been consistently asking too much for it. So it's been doing a lot of sitting.

I'm curious what people's thoughts would be on the prospects of buying a car like that, that has very low mileage due to sitting on a dealer's lot for 2+ years, but whose warranty is about to expire due to time. I would worry that there are many things that could fail soon, but which have not due to the vehicle simply not being used.

Thanks!
i wouldn't touch it unless you lowball it. i would also run the vin and see if tesla would let you buy the extended warranty

i wouldn't touch it unless you lowball it. i would also run the vin and see if tesla would let you buy the extended warranty
Tesla does not allow you to buy the extended warranty if purchased from a (non-Tesla) dealership.

I would stay away from it, especially since the battery has sat for a long time (unless the price was right, which it probably isn't from a dealership).

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
"Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

A second owner is not considered a third party dealer, once he owns the car he can buy the ESA, they dont want dealers getting the ESA and performing service support.

Again I would run the VIN by Tesla an get it in writing. When I sold my first Model S private party, I transferred the warranty to the new owner. When I bought my second S used private party, I had the option to get the ESA and passed, as most of the major items are covered under the Battery / Drive Unit warranty.

So far YTD outside of warranty I have spent $35 for a microswitch wiring harness (which I didn't need, as I just soldered the wire back on) for a door handle and $1 on a paddle gear for the door handle.

Double check with Tesla. This area is one of the most annoying parts of Tesla ownership, every other car dealer jumps out of their azz to sell you an ESA and Tesla acts like the car has some incurable virus if a 3rd party dealer gets involved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
My guess is Tesla doesn't have state permission in Florida to sell the ESA.. No where does it state original owner, I was going to buy it as the second owner and choose not to. I live in Virginia and they allow it.
Again i would run the vin and ask Tesla before buying

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Why am I unable to purchase an Extended Service Agreement in my state?
In some states Tesla has not been granted approval by the state to sell our Extended Service Agreement. This is because each state has its own requirements, such as specific licenses or business qualifications, which we are working to acquire.

Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?
Your Model S and X are covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Limited Warranty, and the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.

The Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any Model S or X parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The SRS Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle's seat belts or airbag system manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km), whichever comes first.

The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever comes first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

What is the Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Extended Service Agreements cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty. Coverage is based upon the purchased agreement option and takes effect on the date that your original New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

What is the eligible purchase period for Tesla Extended Service Agreements, and what do they cover?
You may purchase the Extended Service Agreement no later than 30 days or 1,000 miles (1,600 km), whichever comes first, past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The Extended Service Agreement covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of most parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla during the coverage period, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery and drive unit, which have their own separate warranty.

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.

During my Model S or Model X appointment, how will I get around if I need my vehicle?
We want your Tesla Service experience to be convenient and hassle-free. If you are within 15 miles (24 km) of the closest Service Center, a complimentary Valet can be sent out to retrieve your vehicle from your home or office and return it for you when the service is complete, if available. If service on your vehicle will take longer than 3 hours, a service loaner will be provided for you, if available. If a service loaner is unavailable, a rental car can be arranged.

Do I have to take my vehicle to a Tesla Service Center?
We recommend bringing your vehicle into a Tesla Service Center for any service needs. If you choose to bring your vehicle to a non-Tesla shop for any maintenance or repairs, please be aware that if problems occur, this could affect coverage under your warranty.

Why am I unable to purchase an Extended Service Agreement in my state?
In some states Tesla has not been granted approval by the state to sell our Extended Service Agreement. This is because each state has its own requirements, such as specific licenses or business qualifications, which we are working to acquire.

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.

Can I transfer my Extended Service Agreement to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your vehicle. The agreement will transfer to the new owner when the vehicle ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information.

Can Extended Service Agreements be added to the cost of the vehicle when financing Model S or X?
Extended Service Agreements cannot be added to the total cost of your Model S or X, whether you are financing or not. These plans can only be purchased separately.

Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes, you can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Please refer to the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information. You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased.

Last edited:
Check the VIN for damage.
The battery is probably fine... I doubt that it's been kept fully charged. If it's been sitting half charged, it's fine.
You're unlikely to have any warranty repair items.
Give them a lowball offer. If you can get it cheap, it will be a good deal.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Thanks for the advice everyone! On the ESA, it seems like the 3rd party dealership makes it ineligible, in this line:
"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

Doesn’t pass the smell test
No dealer would sit on a depreciating car for 2 years

That's what I keep thinking. This is the vehicle in question:
https://www.choiceautocenter.com/2014_Tesla_Model S_253868937.veh

I've been Tesla shopping since August. Around September I noticed that car on one of the auto sites, and noticed that it tracked how many days the car had been on the site for, and the price history. It had shown up on the site I think sometime in 2015 at an initial price of $75k, and has gradually dropped in price since then. The dealership seems to get really good reviews from everyone, which makes it particularly baffling. It seems like they've been just sitting on the car for a couple of years due to consistently asking too much for it.

I found it interesting since I'm fairly particular about what I'm looking for, and it checks most of the boxes. I'm looking for one with textile seats, sunroof, tech package, and ideally with the subzero package (that last one is the hard one). Ideally I'd like red or brown though (and would forsake the subzero package for one in those colors).

I've periodically considered offering them around $40k, but even at that I'm not sure it would be a good buy due to just sitting for 2+ years.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Thanks for the advice everyone! On the ESA, it seems like the 3rd party dealership makes it ineligible, in this line:
"Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement."

That's what I keep thinking. This is the vehicle in question:
https://www.choiceautocenter.com/2014_Tesla_Model S_253868937.veh

I've been Tesla shopping since August. Around September I noticed that car on one of the auto sites, and noticed that it tracked how many days the car had been on the site for, and the price history. It had shown up on the site I think sometime in 2015 at an initial price of $75k, and has gradually dropped in price since then. The dealership seems to get really good reviews from everyone, which makes it particularly baffling. It seems like they've been just sitting on the car for a couple of years due to consistently asking too much for it.

I found it interesting since I'm fairly particular about what I'm looking for, and it checks most of the boxes. I'm looking for one with textile seats, sunroof, tech package, and ideally with the subzero package (that last one is the hard one). Ideally I'd like red or brown though (and would forsake the subzero package for one in those colors).

I've periodically considered offering them around $40k, but even at that I'm not sure it would be a good buy due to just sitting for 2+ years.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!
Looking at the Carfax, it has been driven about 1000 miles since March 2015. RUN from this one. That battery has been sitting without cycles for far too long.

Reactions: DrMike
Looking at the Carfax, it has been driven about 1000 miles since March 2015. RUN from this one. That battery has been sitting without cycles for far too long.
The battery would have a 8 year warranty. Not sure I would worry about that.

I just don’t think they would come low enough to be worth it. If they haven’t in two years, why now.

I agree, I would want some time with it under warranty to flush out issues.

Good news- the transmission shifts smoothly (from the description).

new to forum, but buy a fair number of used cars trying to find cars that won't sell for various reasons. Literally just bought another last week.

As near as I can tell this car doesn't sell because no one wants the smallest battery in a RWD only, non AP Tesla. I think it is priced a little high still with that in mind. Go to EV CPO EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings to compare to Tesla CPO cars. It should be several k under what offered by Tesla for comparable.

If you are ok with a well optioned, small battery Tesla with probably like new condition and can get it for a bit cheaper, it is probably a good deal.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
The battery would have a 8 year warranty. Not sure I would worry about that.

I just don’t think they would come low enough to be worth it. If they haven’t in two years, why now.

I agree, I would want some time with it under warranty to flush out issues.

Good news- the transmission shifts smoothly (from the description).
There is no transmission and no shifty bits.