Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations for quieter tires for Model X P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model X P90D to the service center last week and they replaced my Michelins with Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires. I don't see "Conti-Silent" anywhere on the tires, but they're definitely quieter than the Michelins. The technicians told the rep handling my service appointment that there was no problem putting 265s in front (instead of the 255s that were there originally). So I'm good to go, and very happy!

Do you know if they had to do any new settings on your X to account for the different revs/mile?
If note, how did it adjust for the speed differences between the front motors and rear motors?

FI0WlUv.jpg

i.imgur.com/8Zg5rzA.jpg
8Zg5rzA.jpg

Tire Size Comparison

I can't seem to find the Continental CrossContact LX Sport Silent tires in these sizes at TireRack.com, and my service center doesn't seem to think a 255/45 size exists. Has anyone put Conti-Silents on your Model X in my sizes recently? (Note that I have the 20-inch wheels, not 22-inch.)

I have a Model X with Continental Cross contact LX Sport but my sizes are 275/45 and 265/45. with 20 inch rims. So I think you'd be safe going to the 265's

Just curious if anyone has any other suggestions for tires. I'm a Michelin fan (from my Porsche days) but people are saying they're noisy on the X. I have an X with less than 3,000 miles on it and last week had a slow leak in the left front tire. The guy said there was NOTHING in the tire. Just a pin hole size slow leak. Hadn't been around any construction areas or anything like that but now am a little leery of replacing with the Continentals that came on mine.

Just curious if anyone has any other suggestions for tires. I'm a Michelin fan (from my Porsche days) but people are saying they're noisy on the X. I have an X with less than 3,000 miles on it and last week had a slow leak in the left front tire. The guy said there was NOTHING in the tire. Just a pin hole size slow leak. Hadn't been around any construction areas or anything like that but now am a little leery of replacing with the Continentals that came on mine.
See this thread:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Hi there, lot of good info in this thread so thought I’d resurrect this and ask and have all info in one thread. Anyone know the new tire model no. For the “redesigned” Model X? I heard they changed the tire from the announcement so thought if I could replace to the new version.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have a X100D with the OEM Goodyear tires and I am not happy with them. Would also be interested in any tire recommendations.
ContiSilents that are standard on many X's.
We have 100k (~99800 miles) on our 3rd set now, still don't think I've found a quieter tire for the X.
On of the last set I replaced I got 44k miles... (ruined first set of tires by under-inflating)

• Helpful
Reactions: John E.
The 20" all season conti silent cross contact (or whatever they are called) seem pretty quiet to me. I think the performance have different tires.
We have an MXP90D, number 495. 85,000 miles. Three sets of Michelin’s and just put on the second set of Continentals. The Continentals are quieter, last twice as long and of course are 4 season. And Continental s are priced lower than Michelin. Make sure alignment is spot on and disable the lowering.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I have a March 2016 P90D that ran through the original Michelin tires pretty quickly. In November 2016 I bought and put on Nokian WR-G3 SUVs (which came in 255/275 Front/Rear). The next summer when I went to put the Michelins back on, Tesla Service said they were worn out so I kept driving on the Nokians (which are all season but rate highly for snow) full time. I had to replace the rear WR-G3s in July 2018 (at 30K?) and now at 43K the front treads are worn so I'm getting WR-G4s for the front. Note that I did a BMW Car Club Advance Driving Skills Course in April 2018 which involved a lot of time on the skidpad, figure 8 pad and emergency braking maneuvers, which I'm sure didn't help my Nokians. I also think the rears might have gone earlier due to the speed-adjusted lowering suspension.

This weekend is MA tax-free weekend so I decided I'm going to get a pair of summer tires (and wheels) as well, and this discussion makes it clear that the Conti-Silents are the way to go. Thanks, all.

Reactions: scottf200
I can't say my new Pirelli tires are quieter (only by a little), but they are not any louder than the original continental ones when they were also new. When I replaced my tires last year, I didn't want to pay the extra high price (25% more in my case) and get less tread. How do I know? I measured the internal noise at various speeds and frequencies when each set of tires were new. As the original tires got worn down, they got louder. No surprise about that. So the new Pirelli tires (no foam) were actually about same loudness across the range than my original continentals, and about 2-3 db quieter than the worn originals. Yes yes, I know, there are LOTS of other factors to consider like type of road, weather conditions, remaining tread, etc, so I wasn't trying to create a PhD dissertation; just a general idea for my own use and info for another company.

I wasn't sure about getting tires with no foam for myself , so the tire dealer let me try the tires for 50 miles. I decided to keep them. My disclaimer here is to not mislead people into thinking Pirelli tires are quieter. Through past experience, I've noted that all-season tires of the same brand are not created equal. Some are louder and get less life even in the same brand. Depends on design of course. Just saying in my case, I am happy with what I got and I wonder just how much better a tire with foam can be when I can't notice the difference. Some people note there is a difference and they might be right as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200